Your Political Compass

Soldato
UK attitudes are quite strange in that when surveyed we support policies that are typically left/progressive/'woke' but then vote for parties that don't have those policies in their manifestos.
I think the UK is generally conservative in its mentality though (lower case 'c' for conservative). We don't like big change. We are slow to react. In a two-party system, the only way this can work is if the marginal parties get their influence on the other two.

Edit: Seems we are relative left. It is a shame 'relative' isn't a permissible word by "some of the other folk". I guess this will upset them to hear they are indeed lefties in absolute terms.

Soldato
I would place myself right of centre but for public healthcare. Libertarian rather than authoritarian but believing that everyone should pull their weight.

As my location has it "Steering 5 degrees to Starboard".

Soldato
I think I have become more libertarian as I've aged.

Economic Left/Right: -3.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

chart

Last edited:
Soldato
Economic Left/Right: -6.38

Odd little survey; questions like is it an advantage for a single party state to be able to progress without worrying about votes simply tests whether I have a brain since objectively the answer is yes. Doesn't mean I want a single-party state though.

Whatever, the tool has me coming out lower left quadrant which is probably about right.

Soldato
Economic Left/Right: -6.38

Odd little survey; questions like is it an advantage for a single party state to be able to progress without worrying about votes simply tests whether I have a brain since objectively the answer is yes. Doesn't mean I want a single-party state though.

Whatever, the tool has me coming out lower left quadrant which is probably about left****.
FTFY

Soldato
It's a little simplistic as I have views on certain topics that could put me in different areas.
Still it's better than a simple left or right scale.

Soldato
At the end of the day, it all seems pretty pointless. So many people are entrenched in their political beliefs who are unwilling to change irrespective of where they really fall on the political spectrum.

Sometimes I think politics has increasingly become more like a cult/religion these days for many people.

I prefer to like people for who they are as people - not what their politics are or religious beliefs. I wish more people would do the same - because there are some really kind and thoughtful people on this forum.

Soldato
I prefer to like people for who they are as people - not what their politics are or religious beliefs. I wish more people would do the same - because there are some really kind and thoughtful people on this forum.

To badly paraphrase a far more brilliant man "I have a dream that my children will one day not be judged by some immutable factor (age/sex/race/sexuality etc), but purely by the content of their character."

And yet 60 years later we've regressed so far that "the content of your character" is now seemingly the least important factor in forming people's opinions and immutable characteristics are the only important aspect too many people want to judge others on.

Commissario
I think the survey is very much aimed at American ideas of what is "left and right".

Apparently i'm an extreme far left libertarian, which surprised me given most of my answers would normally have been conservative/slightly leaning towards Blairite Labour - I suspect it was the answers towards religion and sexual attitudes that skewed it as I know so many right leaning americans have a massive thing about how women should be a mother above all else, that you can't possibly be a good person if you're not religious, and that anything other than straighter than a ruler (and missionary position) in regards to sexuality is evil, whilst thinking that maybe businesses shouldn't be left to their own devices in regards to what is best for the public (we're still cleaning up so many problems from leaving businesses to regulate themselves in terms of things like what they dump into the water supply).

Soldato
I think the survey is very much aimed at American ideas of what is "left and right".

Well the same website ran a version for the UK 2019 election and here's where they plotted the various parties on the same chart we're all using -

aKMJcLB.jpg

I think you're probably correct as that chart is an utter load of rubbish :D

On that chart they are claiming that the 2019 Corbyn led Labour party is nearer the centre than the 2019 Tories and that the same Tories are more far-right wing (for economics at least) than UKIP and the Brexit party, just more evidence these charts are generally utter tripe :D

Back
Top Bottom