Will DDR5 be viable at launch?

Associate
Do people reckon that price and compatibility with ddr5 will be viable with the launch of the next set of processors or will we be better to stick with ddr4 for longer?

I was planning an upgrade at the start of the year but haven't managed yet so thinking I might just wait till the next set of processors as it sounds like it will be such a big shift.

Is it worth it?

Soldato
Probably not, the enterprise need to get DDR5 first and then we will start seeing it release about a year later for enthusiasts

I don't know what gave you that idea, because we've has several DDR manufacturers recently public state for all intended purposes that are planning to sell consumer DDR5 memory kits BEFORE the end of this year, alongside Intel's Alder Lake DDR5 desktop platform

Soldato
From what I've read the next generation of AMD chips will not be supporting DDR5, though the intel platforms should. Just like X99 supported ddr4 at launch.

Incorrect. AMD Zen 4 most definitely uses DDR5 and unlike Intel, Zen 4 is not backwards compatible. Intel's Alder Lake chipset supports DDR5 and DDR4, while Zen 4 will only be DDR5.

What you are probably confused with is PCIE5, AMD's Zen 4 will not support PCIE5 while Intel will

Associate
Incorrect. AMD Zen 4 most definitely uses DDR5 and unlike Intel, Zen 4 is not backwards compatible. Intel's Alder Lake chipset supports DDR5 and DDR4, while Zen 4 will only be DDR5.

What you are probably confused with is PCIE5, AMD's Zen 4 will not support PCIE5 while Intel will
Ahh may be, thanks for the correction!

Associate
in some ways your overthinking it all

if you build a half decent system now even on a budget it will last you 3-5 years maybe more

now you can wait but then you will have other rumours about new things on the way

every other memory upgrade has been problematic for a while

Soldato
It won't be "worth it" but it is probably required.
The first gen of it will be expensive as hell, loose timings and bottom of the barrel speeds (for ddr5) if you want anything reasonably priced. A year or two later, you'll be able to get the mid range sweet spot stuff for acceptable prices, and you'll feel bad replacing your stuff that is worse and cost 4x the price at launch.

Source: me, buying ddr 2 and 3 at launch. I learnt to wait for ddr4, made easier since cpus didn't leap in performance :)

Associate
I am currently on a 7 year old laptop. Think it is a gt 780m. She is chugging along on Apex low settings and about 35fps. I can hold out this madness to get a better price on my gpu. Maybe...

If you can afford it I would just buy something now maybe a pre built system

There is a lot to like about doing it that way

And playing apex at 1440p now on a nice 27 monitor would be worth it

Associate
OP
If you can afford it I would just buy something now maybe a pre built system

There is a lot to like about doing it that way

And playing apex at 1440p now on a nice 27 monitor would be worth it
I have a PSU and a 4000d sitting so can't really afford a prebuilt. I can wait it out longer. I'm in no hurry as the other games I play are older so don't need as much power. Anything that was on a PS4 then I could manage if only just so I'm good.

Associate
TBH how much difference will DDR5 make over DDR4 for the average gamer. It's got to be pretty minimal compared to GPU and CPU impact.
As always, the increased potential memory capacity and speed is always good for non-gaming applications like graphic design.
Of course, if you are are one of the elite system builders that must have the highest benchmarks, it is an absolute must!

Back
Top Bottom