The manly tears thread, Which movies made you well up?

Soldato
I took my daughter to the cinema to watch Inside Out. When the Bing Bong thing happened, it was the most traumatic thing I've ever witnessed on screen. Not entirely because of the film to be fair though. I was surrounded by kids weeping. There was a couple quietly asking their parents if they could leave, and one little girl in front of us spontaneously told their mum they loved them. My own daughter had to sit on my wife's knee for the rest of the film.

I thought it was a very well done film, but I haven't been able to watch it again.

Soldato
The first film that made me cry, not as an adult.... 1994 Stargate. I must've been 5 or 6 when I watched that and I can't remember exactly what happened but I can remember a spaceship of some sort shooting some pew-pew lasers and blowing up a kid, or something. I remember turning to my mum crying and asking why he had to die :D

It wasn't until years later that Interstellar made me cry. I swear as I get older my eyes have gotten more and more likely to leak with things I find a bit sad. An episode of DIY SOS made me well up and turn it over once

Permabanned
OP
When did Southpark first broadcast, I think I was a preteen and me and my mum watching it, I was only watching it as a cartoon, then Kenny died, cue me not understanding why and looking to mummy lol.

Associate
War films usually set me off! :D

Saving Private Ryan - I started and it was only 5 mins in - the start at the US memorial.
Platoon - That scene! I had the poster.
We Were Soldiers - The last to step off the battlefield, Hal Moore by gum, a true leader of men.

Star Wars - A New Hope - Luke walks out and watches the twin suns set and the music kicks in, a proper stirring scene followed by Uncle and Auntie scene (BBQ)... A brilliant sequence (as a kid I was in awe)!

Associate
The beginning scene in Up, gets me every time.

That opening nearly gave me an existential crisis. I was only 29 at the time.

... An episode of DIY SOS made me well up and turn it over once

Watched an episode of that with a young lad in a wheelchair. They'd built a ramp and widened the front door for them (along with a heap of other amazing work). As he went up the ramp and got to the threshold he turned around with tears in his eyes and pointed out he'd never been through his own front door.
I was in bits!

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched an episode of that with a young lad in a wheelchair. They'd built a ramp and widened the front door for them (along with a heap of other amazing work). As he went up the ramp and got to the threshold he turned around with tears in his eyes and pointed out he'd never been through his own front door.
I was in bits!

Similar to the episode I watched. It was an ex-solider who had lost both legs and 1 arm. He hadn't been able to put his kids to bed for years as unable to easily use the stairs. They made his house completely accessible for him and put a lift in the house so that he could take his children upstairs and read them night time stories. I could feel the wave of tears coming so I did the sensible thing and turned it over before it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom