Clarkson's Farm

Soldato
Up to Episode 5 now, and still reckon it's one of the best pieces of TV made in a long while. Really goes to show how bloody difficult farming actually is. My Grandad worked for 40 years at a single company, then when he retired he didn't like it so spent the next 20 years or so working on farm that was both livestock and crops. Some of my best memories as a child are of running around and exploring that farm.

Soldato
watched the last episode last night and loved every minute, better by far than The Grand Tour - Kaleb is amazing and I love the bemused look on Clarkson's face every time Gerald starts talking :D

Soldato
definitely a lot better than the condescending twee Countryfile!

agree group of priviledged presenters & don't watch it - farming today which is the premier farming show (next to theArchers) reviewd it favourably this morning -
maybe I'll revise my opinion of Clarkson, and search it out.

Soldato
Yes with the garlic :).

Loved this show.

It wasn't just the garlic, it was the whole first few minutes. Recreating the scenes with Ray liotta when he has to goes to loads of places and is followed by the 'copter.. It was jeremys face as he looked out of his windows at the 'copter that gave it away for me. That and the quick cutting. It was quality TV

Permabanned
Not being a fan of Clarkson generally I was a little skeptical but really enjoyed the first 3 eps, the sheep one especially made for genuinely brilliant TV. Felt it started to slip a little from then on. A lot of the familiar scripted sequences, a lot of Clarkson imposing himself upon situations and just generally a lot less focus on the day to day challenges of keeping a farm running with a novice at the helm which would have been enough a central hook to carry the whole series. Got kind of bored of just watching him tit about whilst most everyone else does the work. I appreciate that filming him doing the same laborious tasks would not have made good TV but still, the episode with the wetland project started to niggle at me towards the end.

Enjoyed it overall though I suppose. Not the work of genius some seem to be hailing it as but hey ho. A lot of people have said it's woken them up to the challenges of keeping a farm running in the modern day and how they didn't realize it could be so taxing which seems to me to be the greatest exercise in a lifetime of naivety and ignorance...

Last edited:
Soldato
It wasn't just the garlic, it was the whole first few minutes. Recreating the scenes with Ray liotta when he has to goes to loads of places and is followed by the 'copter.. It was jeremys face as he looked out of his windows at the 'copter that gave it away for me. That and the quick cutting. It was quality TV
Oh man, now that you mention it that is brilliant. If it remember right he had a million things to do that day just like Ray did and it was filmed in exactly the same style come to think of it!

Soldato
I think he may have managed to invent a new genre here :p

Check out the farm shop on google maps lol. You don't see many celebrities openly inviting the public and then mingling with them like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched it with the Mrs, she didn't want it to end and wants to visit the farm shop :cry:

I knew it would be decent and was happy to see it more than lived upto my expectations.

Love how Kaleb just said it how he saw it and wasn't afraid to speak his mind, he hates that tractor!

Man of Honour
Not being a fan of Clarkson generally I was a little skeptical but really enjoyed the first 3 eps, the sheep one especially made for genuinely brilliant TV. Felt it started to slip a little from then on. A lot of the familiar scripted sequences, a lot of Clarkson imposing himself upon situations and just generally a lot less focus on the day to day challenges of keeping a farm running with a novice at the helm which would have been enough a central hook to carry the whole series. Got kind of bored of just watching him tit about whilst most everyone else does the work. I appreciate that filming him doing the same laborious tasks would not have made good TV but still, the episode with the wetland project started to niggle at me towards the end.

Enjoyed it overall though I suppose. Not the work of genius some seem to be hailing it as but hey ho. A lot of people have said it's woken them up to the challenges of keeping a farm running in the modern day and how they didn't realize it could be so taxing which seems to me to be the greatest exercise in a lifetime of naivety and ignorance...

Yeah - I think the pandemic ended up being a bit of a limiting factor in that regard compared to what they had planned as that definitely changed direction a bit but it would have been nice to see a bit more of the day to day challenges and a little less of the scripted gaffs as it went on.

Back
Top Bottom