I finally had my lounge units survey

Associate
OP
Because it literally came up when i typed your search term of "shaker style tv unit" into google.

I've not spent hours looking, i put that into google and found it in 30 seconds. I imagine there would be many alternatives even cheaper if you didn't want a solid wood unit.

That's fine but are you comparing it to my render pics in my OP, or to the later actial pics of what the furniture looks like? Because I don't think those units look as nice.

I don't like the visible hinges, and they dont have the central beam found on the range I'm getting.

Soldato
That's fine but are you comparing it to my render pics in my OP, or to the later actial pics of what the furniture looks like? Because I don't think those units look as nice.

I don't like the visible hinges, and they dont have the central beam found on the range I'm getting.

Which is fine, mine was just an example of what is possible in a 30 second search for less than half what you've been quoted and likely much better built since it's all made from solid pine.

If i was in your shoes i'd be spending a bit of time looking at what is actually available elsewhere that you like the look of or discussing the changes you want with a company like the above. Although if you like the kitchen unit look vs a piece of actual lounge furniture then just stick with what you have if you're happy with it.

Associate
OP
Which is fine, mine was just an example of what is possible in a 30 second search for less than half what you've been quoted and likely much better built since it's all made from solid pine.

If i was in your shoes i'd be spending a bit of time looking at what is actually available elsewhere that you like the look of or discussing the changes you want with a company like the above. Although if you like the kitchen unit look vs a piece of actual lounge furniture then just stick with what you have if you're happy with it.

I had spent a long time time looking at alternatives, like I said both Sharps and Strachan were a lot more expensive. Id been researching what to do with that space for over 2 years. Its already booked in and signed for now anyway.

Kitchen furniture or not, this was my favourite range and I had already wanted it in my bedroom if it hadn't been for liking the vinyl range's matching bedframe. Again it is actually a bedroom and office range and not available in kitchens. The kitchen ranges lack the inlaid beam around the central ridge.

Associate
OP
Please post update when its installed I really want to see the finished product

Will be doing. It clearly wont be as impressive without the original full height display cabinet I had wanted, but if it wouldn't fit then nothing I can do about that, and the corner unit would have completely blocked off the sockets.

Both sides of the window were too small for anything full height, and single cabinets on these type of units look terrible.

Soldato
So why on earth are you keeping it? Unless it's like here in my new billed and they'll hang you outside for daring to change anything

Not actually allowed to make any structural changes. That was my first idea, to remove it and maybe add underfloor or skirted heating, but that would have surely cost more.

So I planned on getting a merged media unit and radiator cover.

Associate
OP
Would removing the rad, but leaving the pipe tails, be considered a structural change?

Does the room have another rad?

Nope, they would at least require the rad to be moved, a new one, or alternative heating, and it would need signed permission.

Any plain and fitted furniture is fine as long as its kept in good condition, they told me I could get fitted in every room already, just ofc keep it neutral and usable, not like dividing a room down the middle with fake walls. Everything I've gotten matches the furniture layout in the the floor plans which came with the house, albeit only leaving room for a single bed in the second bedroom after putting in desk and shelves.

If you simply leave the lounge door open, the hallway radiator is enough to warm it up when its cloudy, and if the suns shining its baked from being south facing (can get low 20c in winter just from the sunlight on a brighter day, though the rest of the house stays colder).

Total cost for all 3 rooms was £8860 now spread over 3 years, and just want some extra shelving and storage cupboard interiors to finish it off.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ikea's renderer is at least better quality :)

cjo3iKS.png
R3qxTEt.jpg

Only just saw this, those units look extremely thin though like they would bend even break very easily.

They really don't look anywhere near as nice either.

This is what mine will mostly look like

lfUfn3u.jpg

Plus I picked the range with the bezel around the middle, no where else seems to make that.

Back
Top Bottom