How long until Ireland is united?

Capodecina
Soldato
I see that the leader of the DUP has resigned amidst infighting within the party days after Arlene Foster stood down as First Minister of the consistently dysfunctional Northern Ireland Assembly.

The EU, the GB and the US are in danger of falling out over the relationship between Northern Ireland, the EU and GB.

How long can it be before reality results in the unification of the island of Ireland?

Soldato
Does it solve any problems though? You'd still have a group of people rightfully living there who want nothing to do with Ireland. They will now be volatile after being abandoned by the UK gov and Ireland's problem to deal with for future generations.

Soldato
The UDA or whatever similar group have said they are on brink of violence. Really interesting and retarded place at the same time.

It's certainly fascinating to watch how power changes hands. 30 years ago the unionists were so powerful, so much self belief and unity and now just a crumbling wreck.

Caporegime
It's up to the Northern Irish identifiers (people who vote Alliance or softer partisans) ultimately.

Whilst it's a bit naughty I think i'd enjoy seeing the aftermath of Westminster simply forcing NI out without referendum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any recent polling data to indicate whether a majority would want to ? The DUP overplayed their hand when they held the balance of power in Westminster and now there's a huge backlash. I can't see it getting any better until both communities elect sensible politicians instead of extremist nutters.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Is there any recent polling data to indicate whether a majority would want to ? The DUP overplayed their hand when they held the balance of power in Westminster and now there's a huge backlash. I can't see it getting any better until both communities elect sensible politicians instead of extremist nutters.
I am not aware of any recent polling data to indicate that a majority wants to unite Northern Ireland with the Republic.

However, I suspect that many "Catholics" would favour unification, I suspect that many reasonable "Protestants" have had enough of the medieval attitudes that seem to prevail in the six counties and that there is mounting frustration at the consequences of Brexit.

Soldato
I'd like to see it given the N.I is a bit of basket case and the aforementioned problems with its parliament. Investment from the rest of UK is poor. There is stark difference when crossing into NI after being down south. The lack of investment really shines through.

Maybe there should have been a timetable like the UK agrees to hand it over/wash its hands of it in 50-75 years time. Once that's set, there would be issues for a time, but the people that exist at the time of the handover would have grown up with the idea unification, so wouldn't be a sudden change which hardliners would have to deal with.

Of course there is the question of does Ireland want it? But perhaps that could be eased with funding from the EU. Throwing €500bn at the problem would go a long way to easing the burden, and help address the mobility problem people from the North would have given Irelands living costs are 25% higher than the EU norm.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Any government that allows a United Ireland will have to allow an independent Scotland . . .
To be honest that seems like pretty much a certainty sooner or later anyhow, Wales will probably follow shortly afterwards.

The whole idea of a "United" Kingdom is pretty much a fantasy these days, as is the idea of "Great" - even the North South divide in England is blindingly obvious, despite the slogan of "Levelling up" :rolleyes:
. . . The Irish probably shouldn't be very keen because the protestants would go bonkers in a bad way.
I suspect that some hard-line Protestants would, as you say, go bonkers. However, things in a divided Northern Ireland are hardly a bed of roses anyhow.

Soldato
To be honest that seems like pretty much a certainty sooner or later anyhow, Wales will probably follow shortly afterwards.

Can't see it for Wales without massive changes in opinions. From memory polling doesn't even reach 25% of the Welsh population supporting independence. Where I live there's huge numbers of people commuting in and out of North Wales for work, shopping and leisure - any kind of border checks would be intolerable.

Back
Top Bottom