33 year old murderer identified by personal electronic equipment

Capodecina
Soldato
A 33-year-old pilot has confessed to the killing of his 20 year old British wife as a result of the Police checking her biometric watch which revealed her pulse readings on the day she died when he claimed she was already dead, tracking his movements as recorded from his smart phone and the time of the removal of the data card from their home security camera (LINK).

Sometimes the invasion of privacy can yield positive results but it does show the extent of the traces that we leave behind as we live our 21st Century lives.

Caporegime
Criminals will soon wise up to it, immediately take any smart watches off your murdered victims and don't carry around any smart phones during the time you're claiming to be tied up.

Someone who was ignorant to how the technology worked and to the extent it was surveilling them is not worth surrendering your right to privacy over.

Last edited:
Soldato
A 33-year-old pilot has confessed to the killing of his 20 year old British wife as a result of the Police checking her biometric watch which revealed her pulse readings on the day she died when he claimed she was already dead, tracking his movements as recorded from his smart phone and the time of the removal of the data card from their home security camera (LINK).

Sometimes the invasion of privacy can yield positive results but it does show the extent of the traces that we leave behind as we live our 21st Century lives.

ok...?

Soldato
so police checked the evidence from the belongings of a corpse, found it contradicted the story of a potential suspect, investigated that suspect further finding more evidence contradicting their story, who then confessed when confronted with said evidence?

sounds like as run of the mill as a murder case can get.

the objections to privacy intrusion is when it's applied to anyone the police "feel" like investigating, i don't think anyone would suggest that if someone's sufficiently suspicious to merit a court warrant to search their house etc that it shouldn't also extend to their electronic presence.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I think that some may have missed the point here . . .

The fact that the Greek Police have secured a confession from a murderer by examining electronic devices is undoubtedly a great thing. However, I do wonder what use could be made by criminals and commercial "profilers" of the data about which we care so little.

I think that most people (myself included) just happily ignore GDPR requests to gather data on our everyday activities - let alone data gathering about which we know nothing and over which we have no control - e.g. by Google.

GP Surgeries are about to hand over our (allegedly "sort of" anonymised) patient records. On the face of it, this will undoubtedly be a great help in protecting against the next pandemic but who knows where it will end up.

I guess we have all been through the Belbin Personality Sorter exercise, many people respond happily to Queationnaires or check their Political Compass online; some people may even have heard of Cambridge Analytica

Wot?
Me?
Paranoid? ;)

Man of Honour
About 3 months ago I was watching one of these 2 part documentaries on CH4 or CH5 about a drugs ring.
Now that was scary seeing what the Police can get their hands on with technology.
The ring leader was savvy enough to know his phone can put him in certain places so he gave his phone to somebody else who did normal things that day while he went off to kill somebody.
He wasn't savvy enough to realise that the Police would knock on every door asking for CCTV.
Even their car cams had been filming them doing stuff and going up to the cloud.

Caporegime

even if your GPS is off they can track your phone location pretty well with cell towers

Associate
I know this thread is about surveillance.

But I'm really glad they caught the guy.

He even killed his own dog to try and cover his tracks.

Man of Honour
even if your GPS is off they can track your phone location pretty well with cell towers

Absolutely, they have overwhelming evidence that Christian Brueckner was outside the hotel and making phone calls on the evening Maddy disappeared because of cell tower and calls evidence.
It doesn't mean he did it but if it walks like a duck .............................. etc

Soldato
Suspected he had something to do with it right from the start, no sane person would do an interview a day after the supposed murder of their partner and have a smile on their face in the process.

Caporegime
Absolutely, they have overwhelming evidence that Christian Brueckner was outside the hotel and making phone calls on the evening Maddy disappeared because of cell tower and calls evidence.
It doesn't mean he did it but if it walks like a duck .............................. etc
There's supposed to be a way to tell tell whats being typed on a keyboard just from the power signal leading to a pc also which is kinda crazy.
but I guess you can make a computer network through the power sockets in your home to so seems more plausible.

pretty sure thats not how the key logging works though

Soldato
There's supposed to be a way to tell tell whats being typed on a keyboard just from the power signal leading to a pc also which is kinda crazy.
but I guess you can make a computer network through the power sockets in your home to so seems more plausible.

pretty sure thats not how the key logging works though

Why is it crazy? How else would the PC know what to do after a key has been pressed?

Back
Top Bottom