Phrases you can't stand...

Soldato
Ignorance of what the actual phrase should be?
Wow, as someone who, depending on whom I’m talking to, often uses the “wrong” version, (according to you), I guess that I should feel suitably chastened, but wait, I could care less that YOU think that I’m ignorant.
Everyone to whom I speak understands what I mean, no matter which way I say it, I suppose that they’re ignorant too?

No. Understanding what you mean doesn't make them ignorant, but it doesn't make you less wrong when using it. Unless you use "I could care less" to show that you are interested in things?

@Freakbro Yeah, I've always been a huge comma fan! :D Definitely due to your reason, where I'm thinking about how I would say something verbally.

Man of Honour
No. They know enough to understand that some people sometimes use words incorrectly and to work out what those people probably meant even if those people are saying the opposite of what they mean.

Saying "I could care less" when you mean "I couldn't care less" is objectively wrong. It's not, as you wrongly claim, subjectively wrong. It's as wrong as, for example, saying "It's raining heavily" when you mean "It isn't raining" or "<insert football team here> won 2-0" when you mean "<insert football team here> lost" or "water is denser than lead" when you mean "lead is denser than water". It's objectively wrong. The fact that many people can deduce what you probably meant despite what you said doesn't make what you said less wrong.

You're not ignorant. You're deliberately wrong for some reason.

While I sincerely appreciate your attempt to show me the error of my ways, I feel that you may be overthinking it.
In my opinion, I could care less is a long way from saying, it’s raining heavily, when it isn’t raining at all.
The “I could care less” thing is from the same stable as American-Yiddish inflections such as “I should be so lucky”, meaning “there’s no way that I’d ever be that lucky”, or “I should care” meaning “why should I care?” it’s a kind of veiled sarcasm.
In saying that, I realise that to lots of little Englanders anything American is infra dig.
Why use I could care less if we also have I couldn’t care less?
There are other pairs of phrases in English about which you could ask the same question.
Why say, “That will teach you to leave your car unlocked” when you really mean, “that will teach you not to leave your car unlocked?” or “You know squat about that” instead of “you don’t know squat about that.”
In addition, idioms don’t care about logic.
e.g. head over heels, shouldn’t it be heels over head?
As the famed linguist Arika Okrent M.A. Ph.D said, “People only use ‘I could care less’ to mean ‘I couldn’t care less’, never the opposite, it doesn’t cause legitimate confusion, although it does cause quite a bit of consternation, in any case, it’s here to stay.”
HTH

Associate
Karen
It bugs me how it’s apparently okay to call people Karen. What about people that are actually called Karen? Surely they must have an opinion on their name being used as a stereotype? How about we call other groups of people by a name, would that be okay too?

Having worked in retail for way too long, 'Karen' is a perfectly deserving stereotype.

The number of screaming, blithering drama queens over the 5p bag charge was the single greatest Karen-pocalypse I had to get through. Do that stuff anywhere else and all these types of people would be banned with a criminal record for abusing staff.

I don't understand why the hell its still allowed in retail.

D4N

D4N

Associate
Having worked in retail for way too long, 'Karen' is a perfectly deserving stereotype.

The number of screaming, blithering drama queens over the 5p bag charge was the single greatest Karen-pocalypse I had to get through. Do that stuff anywhere else and all these types of people would be banned with a criminal record for abusing staff.

I don't understand why the hell its still allowed in retail.

I know that there are plenty of people like it about and I’m not sticking up for self centred entitled idiots, but why call them Karen? Why not Donna, Alice, Julia, Meg or any other name?

Associate
I know that there are plenty of people like it about and I’m not sticking up for self centred entitled idiots, but why call them Karen? Why not Donna, Alice, Julia, Meg or any other name?

It's Karen because the origin of the meme is Karen Hill from Goodfellas when she flushes his coke during a bust. "Why did you do that Karen!"

Pretty sure that's its origin.

Associate

Because 'Karen' is just what they became called.

Retail literally trains you to just sit there and take it too. Getting confrontational / reacting in the same way is a one way trip to sackedville.

Soldato
"I am not going to lie...."

Seems like a pointless phrase to lead with, also implies one's preference for lying as the initial impulse.

Soldato
I've always thought of ' I'm not gonna lie' or 'to be honest' more like they're saying 'to be blunt' rather than someone telling you they usually lie but right now I'm gonna tell the truth!

Soldato
American verb to get this

as conjugated in peloton you've got this
& now, Dominoes we've got this

they've got some kind of grammatical disease ?

Back
Top Bottom