What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Ran a water supply to the garage from the outside tap. Within minutes I hit 1.5ft of concrete between me and the tap, damn I thought. Then I noticed some old electric ducting not far from where I needed to run the pipe. It's not as deep as if have liked, and I'll have to insulate the pipes, but it'll do, probably my best get out of jail free card ever :D

I take it the black duct was already exposed by the slab edge? As I was wondering how else you got the blue pipe there without lifting the slab. That saved you a heap of work then by the looks of it.

Soldato
I take it the black duct was already exposed by the slab edge? As I was wondering how else you got the blue pipe there without lifting the slab. That saved you a heap of work then by the looks of it.
Got it in one :cool: There used to be some armoured cable through it from a socket in the kitchen. I decommissioned that earlier in the year as I ran the electric from the fuse box for a new consumer unit in the garage.

I think i'd have had to raise the slabs and hire a steel saw to cut through the concrete, doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

Soldato
Two jobs ticked off the list.

First one is my grass seed has come up - The start of this was July last year - weed killered and scarified -then weed killered every time somthing popped up - Link here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/post-your-garden.18488855/page-38. Post 747
Tug8Ljb.jpg
MjrHDxy.jpg

Second job was shed shiplap -one or two had started to curl up exposing tounge on one below so had eight lengths out on right side and on left had four out on bottom to remove a unused cat flap.
This shed must be 15 yrs old and when took shiplap off it was bone dry underneath. Creosoted all the front and you can see the new shiplap is a brown colour at the moment.

iCrVG8K.jpg

Associate
Finished off burning the remains of my workshop/garage that we've put off since 2017 (when we moved here). Got plans for a new garage to go up but I'll save that for it's own thread.

Amazing what you find under a 40+ year old building..!

Building emptied and stripped ready to be..

PXL-20210601-181337496.jpg

Knocked down!

PXL-20210602-151605481.jpg

Nearly 2 weeks to burn it all

PXL-20210613-141545314.jpg

Lifting the sheets of ply flooring and found this

PXL-20210613-163125357.jpg

PXL-20210613-163602505.jpg

Looks like a small pit, measures around 5ft x 3ft. There was no vehicle access though so it would've been there a good few years. Nothing in it but old slates and rubble, and a wacking great slug!

Ground workers coming to start work in a few weeks, will see if there's anything else underneath then.

Associate
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM
Changed solenoid on my Triton seville shower.
Past 3 days had cut out when in use.
  • Googled and YouTube'd.
    Checked resistance on the solenoid and seemed OK, however for £10 replacement was worth a try.
    Hopefully this will fix it, that said only £70 for a new Seville.
  • Well solenoid change did stop the shower making a weird noise and temp/flow seemed better, until this morning when the isolator switch blew, luckily/unluckily although in the shower was not soaped up.
  • Booked an electrician to come and look at it as although a simple swop out I'm pretty sure the cables are very very short within the switch.

Soldato
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM
Changed solenoid on my Triton seville shower.
Past 3 days had cut out when in use.
  • Googled and YouTube'd.
    Checked resistance on the solenoid and seemed OK, however for £10 replacement was worth a try.
    Hopefully this will fix it, that said only £70 for a new Seville.
  • Well solenoid change did stop the shower making a weird noise and temp/flow seemed better, until this morning when the isolator switch blew, luckily/unluckily although in the shower was not soaped up.
  • Booked an electrician to come and look at it as although a simple swop out I'm pretty sure the cables are very very short within the switch.

I feel your pain. I replaced bits in the shower a couple of years back and it turned out to be the pull switch in the roof that had burned out.

Soldato
Looks like a small pit, measures around 5ft x 3ft. There was no vehicle access though so it would've been there a good few years. Nothing in it but old slates and rubble, and a wacking great slug!

Looks like a service pit for putting engine oil trays in etc.

Soldato
10 year old kitchen tap leaking from the base of the spout, got it apart to check a washer but then couldn't re-seat it properly. The fact it was wobbling a lot at the base makes me think it had just worn. (PTFE temp fix while I popped out)

MK69TYNl.jpg

Off to Screwfix to grab a replacement, should be a 20 minute job tops...

You can't really see but the fastening nut was rusted from where the seal around the base of the tap had seeped water over a decade. And typically all my spanners were at the Mrs and the brass nut wasn't taking too kindly to mole grips and adjustable spanners. Need a better grip and more access, as this was behind one of the basins and near impossible.

So...

KPt3hjal.jpg

eTAVGx5l.jpg

I use a drain guard and recently used a drain cleaner but you wouldn't think it!

yzbH9sol.jpg

The dishwasher had to come out too so I could access the left side to refit the sink clips and fasten it down to the worktop properly. Needs silicone later today.

90 minutes all in :p

1svnVlnl.jpg

Soldato
We use empty milk cartons to put unused cat food in (cut top off) and fold top over and use pegs to hold it shut -When full we fold top over and gaffa tape it shut then bin it - nothing worse than gone off pet food.

Soldato
We use empty milk cartons to put unused cat food in (cut top off) and fold top over and use pegs to hold it shut -When full we fold top over and gaffa tape it shut then bin it - nothing worse than gone off pet food.

I don't actually have a dog, the sludge was just very similar to canned pet food.

Back
Top Bottom