What am i doing wrong - 10400 & ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS Mobo

Associate
Hi

can someone please help me understand what i am doing wrong.

after the suggestion by a few people on the forum i opted to upgrade my rig from my 4790 & DDR3 memory to the below
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS
  • Intel Core i5-10400F
  • Crucial Ballistix 16GB Kit (2x 8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 RAM Voltage: 1.35v

So the install all went fine and i have windows up and running, but after looking in the bios to appears that my ram is only running at 2666mhz & i dont know how to disable power throttling /

Can you help me understand the below
  1. How can i make the RAM run at the full 3600mhz ? , as i tried to just change the settings to that and it wouldnt post.(also tried to click enable XMP but it didnt post either)
  2. Ive seen quite a few posts about removing power limits on B560m so that the chip can run above the 65w TDP , but i cant see this setting anywhere in the mobo bios ?

Soldato
Before enabling XMP you need to make sure memory voltage is set for that specified for kit 1.35V.
Trying to run XMP settings at JEDEC default 1.2V would be sure recipe for problems.

And as B560 is basic chipset Intel probably restricts most of CPU overclocking aspects.

Associate
OP
Hi Esat.

sorry not quite sure what you mean ?. Does not enabling XMP autamically change the voltages of the ram for you, or are you saying i need to go and change to 1.35V

When the comp has failed to post i think thats when it sets the ram to 2133mhz @ 1.2v

Man of Honour
You need to switch to advanced mode on the bios screen to access the cpu power limits (pl1 and pl2), though on a 10400F I'm not sure it would make any difference in games because the 10400 is fairly low power.

Soldato
Not sure if XMP data contains anything else than handfull of timings.
DRAM voltage setting is apparently lower in Ai Tweaker menu.

Booting at those settings after POST failure strongly hints toward problem in initializing operation of memory.

As for embedding images as rule https hot links don't work with image hosts and you need to drop it to normal http.

Man of Honour
Hi Esat.

sorry not quite sure what you mean ?. Does not enabling XMP autamically change the voltages of the ram for you, or are you saying i need to go and change to 1.35V

When the comp has failed to post i think thats when it sets the ram to 2133mhz @ 1.2v
Enabling xmp should change the voltage to 1.35 just check it , you could try settings values and timmings manually and maybe add more vots up to 1 4v.

You wont be power limited with that cpu .

Soldato
I have that motherboard. Yes, you need to enable advanced settings before you can use XMP. Apparently the CPU is by default not power-limited but I too would like to know what the correct settings should be. Do note that you do need something better than the stock cooler.

Associate
OP
I have that motherboard. Yes, you need to enable advanced settings before you can use XMP. Apparently the CPU is by default not power-limited but I too would like to know what the correct settings should be. Do note that you do need something better than the stock cooler.

Hi yes i have an eSports Duo cooler so dont think that is a problem.

I think the asus performance enhancement option relates to the power limiting thing, and its enabled by default which means it wont restrict power consumption.

Associate
OP
Enabling xmp should change the voltage to 1.35 just check it , you could try settings values and timmings manually and maybe add more vots up to 1 4v.

You wont be power limited with that cpu .

This may sound silly but , im not sure how i can check it , as if i enable XMP to put it into effect i have to save and exit the bios, it fails to post and then after about 30secs of waiting it takes me back to the bios where everything is set @ 2133mhz

or am i missing something here.

Man of Honour
This may sound silly but , im not sure how i can check it , as if i enable XMP to put it into effect i have to save and exit the bios, it fails to post and then after about 30secs of waiting it takes me back to the bios where everything is set @ 2133mhz

or am i missing something here.
If you're only allowed to save and exit when enabling XMP, then I would suggest you try it manually.

Set DRAM voltage to 1.35, set DRAM frequency to 2933 (just use board defaults for timings) and if that boots fine, then you can go up from there.

Associate
OP
ok so i tried the creeping up method. I set the ram to 1.35V and then slowly went up through the settings, all worked well until i tried to go to 3200mhz or higher.

When i get to 3200mhz the pc manages to post, but when i get to windows it bluescreens with a ntoskrnl.exe error.

Any suggestions what to do next ?

Back
Top Bottom