Does one really need V5C to take a vehicle out of the UK for a week or so?

Associate
For family reasons I need to visit my home country by car as soon as possible. For that I'm planning to buy a used car. According to this, I'd need to have V5C to take a vehicle out of the UK.

The problem is that
DVLA will update the vehicle record immediately and they will aim to send out a new V5C to you within 3 to 5 days. (source)

And I don't have a week to wait for my V5C.

Do I really need V5C to go to the EU? What if I just have whatever the seller would give me? (And on top of that my insurance, of course)

Soldato
Even before brexit, they asked for the V5 if you were stopped abroad. I was stopped twice in France, and both times they never cared about my insurance certificate, but wanted to see the V5 and drivers licence.

Soldato
Even before brexit, they asked for the V5 if you were stopped abroad. I was stopped twice in France, and both times they never cared about my insurance certificate, but wanted to see the V5 and drivers licence.

Maybe country dependent? That hasn't been my experience driving round Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands several times, but I know France seem to have a lot of "interesting" rules! Or maybe I just got lucky :p

Soldato
I think you'll also need green card insurance, so I doubt you would be able to get everything sorted within a day or so. It also sounds like a terrible idea to buy an unknown car and take it on a long trip across Europe.
Why not just fly and hire a car there?

Associate
Can't you borrow someone's car for a week or so (or however long the trip takes)? If I knew someone well and they offered me some £££ to borrow my car for a week, I'd go for it

Associate
OP
Aren't there quite extensive rules for moving cats and dogs over borders as well now?
Well, the cat has a passport and is fully vaccinated. Or were you referring to some pandemic-related restrictions?

Can't you borrow someone's car for a week or so (or however long the trip takes)? If I knew someone well and they offered me some £££ to borrow my car for a week, I'd go for it
I wouldn't want to inconvenience my friends since they all have to commute to work - I live in a rural(ish) area. But it's a good point and something I'm definitely considering if all else fails. Would it then be a problem that V5C would be not in my name?

I've been waiting over a month for a V5 to arrive. DVLA suck.
Oh dear.

Man of Honour
Lol, Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving :cry:

Sorry, I really don't have anything useful to add I'm afraid :(
What's Brexit got to do with it?
You've always needed to do this; when I had company cars from 2010 - 2018 I always had to get V5 copies from the lease company to take the car to Germany, France, Switzerland etc on camping trips.

Soldato
What's Brexit got to do with it?
You've always needed to do this; when I had company cars from 2010 - 2018 I always had to get V5 copies from the lease company to take the car to Germany, France, Switzerland etc on camping trips.

See my later post, I've never had to do this before, so I assumed it was related to Brexit, if I was mistaken then I apologise

Back
Top Bottom