UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That movement in the box is quite something...

Kanes been poor, no one can deny that at this point.

There’s a few things worth mentioning about it. I’ve watched the game back and passing back to cross like is being asked in the video was done many times and wasn’t leading to anything. There was no movement in the box and the guy in James’ position was closed down so he’d end up passing backwards.

I think Sterling is therefore looking for other options and at least looking forward. Again, the movement around him was woeful so he ended up trying to create something alone in this particular passage and got no where. There’s an argument that he was fouled and it could have been a penalty, I think in the league it would have been. The defender catches him. Trouble is he also clearly dived and was about to go out of play anyway. Seems the VAR in this tournament is a lot more sensible which is why we got nothing out of it.

As much as I wish we could blame everything on one guy, I’m not sure Sterling had many real options and was at least looking forward instead of backwards in fairness. Of the few good attacking plays we had, they all seemed to start with him.

The trouble we have in tournament football is it attracts people who don’t normally watch games and they don’t see the work some players are doing, especially off the ball.

I genuinely think the biggest problem with this game was two CDMs against a team who was parking the bus. No real link in midfield between defence and attack and a striker who spent most of the game playing deep instead of waiting patiently outside the box.

Soldato
I didn’t know we lost on Friday?
Scotland sure count it as a win. I'm up here atm and they really are chuffed about it. Given the relative caliber of the two squads wouldn't it be fair to call it a loss? Akin to how we view a prem team drawing with a league 1 side in the fa cup. Anyway iirc England always seem to donkey games shown on ITV.

Soldato
England’s Twitter page seems to enjoy posting videos of Sancho in training or interviews with Saka - will either get a minute on the pitch before we’re knocked out?
Not with Southgate at the helm. We didn't even use all our subs. FFS Chilwell, Watkins, Saka, such attacking players available to mix it up a bit and get some more crosses in + runs into the box and all he does is take off foden, who had produced some of the most promising moves, to put on grealish when Kane was the one who needed to be hauled off.

Soldato
Scotland sure count it as a win. I'm up here atm and they really are chuffed about it. Given the relative caliber of the two squads wouldn't it be fair to call it a loss? Akin to how we view a prem team drawing with a league 1 side in the fa cup. Anyway iirc England always seem to donkey games shown on ITV.

With all the ambiguity and room for interpretation within football, winning, drawing and losing are pretty clear cut terms. :p

Soldato
Southgate confirmed Kane’s starting. Guess it’s to be expected, what, with it being based on performances and all.

Starting him is fine. But needs to be subbed off way earlier if performing poorly (have 5 subs avaialble). No point giving a sub only 10 to 20 mins to make a difference.

Soldato
Scotland will need to win by 2 goals to be above the Swiss which will almost definitely mean they are through.

If England or the Czechs get hammered then can make it through with any win.

A one goal win (assuming the Czechs and England don't get thrashed) will give them a good chance.

Man of Honour
Scotland will need to win by 2 goals to be above the Swiss which will almost definitely mean they are through.

They would probably be better off keeping an eye on what the Croats are up to and of course both England and Czech cant get thrashed as they are playing each other :p

Soldato
They would probably be better off keeping an eye on what the Croats are up to :p

Well they need to beat them in any scenario. Question is what margin of win do they need.

A 1 goal win would put the behind the Swiss I think on a goals scored basis.

Lots of groups look they will have third placed teams with 4 points.

Man of Honour
Well they need to beat them in any scenario. Question is what margin of win do they need.

A 1 goal win would put the behind the Swiss I think on a goals scored basis.

Lots of groups look they will have third placed teams with 4 points.

Why the Swiss of all the teams finishing third, why the focus on what the Swiss do though.

I'm not sure Scotland will beat Croatia anyway, my money is on it being a draw

Man of Honour
How’s everyone feeling about England winning the euros ?

Although almost anything can happen in football, I'd say no chance. I've seen nothing about us to suggest that we can topple any decent side. Teams often play differently in knockouts than in the groups, so maybe we will kick it up a gear once we enter the knockouts but its far easier to perform in the knockouts when you are already on a roll than it is to be lacklustre in the groups and then step up

Associate
Although almost anything can happen in football, I'd say no chance. I've seen nothing about us to suggest that we can topple any decent side.

I agree with you , Southgate has somehow turned a team full of attacking talent (Sterling, Mount, Kane and Foden) into a sterile attack.

Soldato
Although almost anything can happen in football, I'd say no chance. I've seen nothing about us to suggest that we can topple any decent side. Teams often play differently in knockouts than in the groups, so maybe we will kick it up a gear once we enter the knockouts but its far easier to perform in the knockouts when you are already on a roll than it is to be lacklustre in the groups and then step up
I think Southgate would be happy if we get out the group then get knocked out in the next round, for a manager with little ambition I think that would be seen as a successful tournament in his eyes.

Associate
I think Southgate would be happy if we get out the group then get knocked out in the next round, for a manager with little ambition I think that would be seen as a successful tournament in his eyes.

but would the English fa see it as success?

Southgate is contracted until the end of the World Cup .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom