UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
but would the English fa see it has success?

Southgate is contracted until the end of the World Cup .
And they have already said they won't sack him before the World Cup so as long as England made it out the group then I can't see him going unfortunately.

I think he was ok to steady the ship for a couple of years after big Sam went and had a lucky run at the last World Cup although we should have atleast got to the final, we were all over Croatia in the first half but then suddenly we went all defensive in the second half which was probably due to southgates half time team talk and tried to defend a 1-0 lead and ended up losing it.

With all the young talent we have now we need a fresh and more attack minded manager, maybe lampard or Steve G.

Last edited:
Associate
And they have already said they won't sack him before the World Cup so as long as England made it out the group then I can't see him going unfortunately.

I see , I guess if they did get rid they wouldn’t have many candidates to choose from. There is a major shortage of top English managers.

Soldato
I see , I guess if they did get rid they wouldn’t have many candidates to choose from. There is a major shortage of top English managers.

I think someone like Lampard would do a better job and he's got a good track record of bringing young players through.

He's also available so the FA wouldn't need to pay compo other than what they would need to pay off Southgate with as I don't see him quitting even if we lose the next 2 games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lampard? Seriously he has shown nothing that would warrant being considered for England management

Gerrard has shown more but even still far too early, I think England needs a manager like pep or klopp tbh more so klopp, get the players playing expansive, expressive football we have enough talent

Caporegime
I think someone like Lampard would do a better job and he's got a good track record of bringing young players through.

He's also available so the FA wouldn't need to pay compo other than what they would need to pay off Southgate with as I don't see him quitting even if we lose the next 2 games.
Bringing young talent through is not the job of the senior national team. Clubs and the under 21’s are the ones who bring the young players through and the senior national team gets the pick of the best.

Soldato
Why the Swiss of all the teams finishing third, why the focus on what the Swiss do though.

I'm not sure Scotland will beat Croatia anyway, my money is on it being a draw

Because they are the only team to have finished 3rd so far :confused:

If more teams finish third with 4 points then we'll have more information.

As of today, finishing better than the Swiss would almost definitely guarantee qualification.

Caporegime
It shows how far we have fallen. Normally we would be looking at managers with a long history of winning trophies at the top level. Now people are talking about failed managers in Lampard or Gerrard managing in a league that is below the Austrian league.
Tbf, the last manager we had with a proven track record of winning trophies was Capello and he was awful.

I wonder if Wenger would give it a go. There’s no one better for expansive flowing football.

Soldato
Lampard? Seriously he has shown nothing that would warrant being considered for England management

Gerrard has shown more but even still far too early, I think England needs a manager like pep or klopp tbh more so klopp, get the players playing expansive, expressive football we have enough talent
I doubt pep or Klopp would want the job and given that the FA seems to want an Englishman then what other options do we have? Eddie Howe, Dean smith, Shaun Dyche, Graham potter?

Lampard did well at Derby and then in his first full season at Chelsea despite the transfer ban getting them CL then got sacked while only being 11 points behind the league leaders and securing a CL last 16 place so he did OK IMO. I'm sure he would serve up something better than the dross we are currently seeing.

Southgate on the other hand had 3 seasons at Middlesbrough finishing 12, 13 and 19 Getting them relegated after 11 seasons in the top flight.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What are your thoughts on colluding with the Czech Republic, draw would see both teams guaranteed to qualify. England would be second, but in doing so avoid playing against a team from the group of death (France / Germany / Portugal) in the next round.
A nice 3-3 with hattricks for Sterling and Schick (to boost their golden boot hopes) would do nicely.

Soldato
What are your thoughts on colluding with the Czech Republic, draw would see both teams guaranteed to qualify. England would be second, but in doing so avoid playing against a team from the group of death (France / Germany / Portugal) in the next round.
A nice 3-3 with hattricks for Sterling and Schick (to boost their golden boot hopes) would do nicely.

Nice thought but match fixing is frowned upon ;)

Caporegime
England winning the Euros? No, certainly not with this manager.

I just want us to actually have a go for once, go out there and go for the win not this **** possession based plan that goes nowhere borefest that we're so used to under Southgate.

He sounded like he'd make a few changes for the last game, I doubt it. Im expecting;

1. Sterling starts
2. He plays 2 DM
3. 0-0
4. He probably sticks Maguire in there, even though we haven't conceded yet and he won't be match fit

Southgate gunna Southgate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom