• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs. Intel, Who Really Offers The Most Value?

Associate
I really like how in-depth how Hardware Unboxed goes into details like this.

I made the thread here, as it's as much about the CPUs, as it is the motherboards.

Caporegime
Those cheaper Intel boards are crap.

But i hate the way HUB keep using the 3070 instead on the 3080/3090.

"Oh games are the same performance on all CPU's and Motherboards"

Well yes Sherlock a beaten up shopping cart if just as fast as a Porsche when they are both limited to 70 MPH, he does this a lot, show you GPU limited performance and then declare all CPU's are the same. No Steve, they are not, you're not performance testing the CPU, you're showing the limits of the GPU.

Associate

Well yes Sherlock a beaten up shopping cart if just as fast as a Porsche when they are both limited to 70 MPH, he does this a lot, show you GPU limited performance and then declare all CPU's are the same. No Steve, they are not, you're not performance testing the CPU, you're showing the limits of the GPU.

To me If your looking at a 3080 or a 3090 your not at the value end of the market.

Soldato
If you're buying an 11700K or a 5800X you're not at the value end of the market.

A 3070 isn't value end either.
Yeah it was an odd test, I can understand him using a 3070 since a gamer on a budget should always get the best GPU they can afford but seems odd to pick the 11700 and 5800X as they are certainly not what I'd consider budget processors. Should have been the 5600X vs 11400F.

Soldato

This is why they are getting a lot of hate from companies and the general public that is aware of their silly games, they are just out to create drama or push their agenda all the time and their sponsors gear even from companies that rip customers off like MSI, they are none stop MSI fanboys, for the only reason is they get their money for sponsored products. They are both a joke at HUB and ashame the last guy that use to run it left it as he was more honest than these two clowns.

When you call them out on their rubbish they don't even reply to it, example here of an unrealistic test setup :- https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1372676102754160640

Last edited:
Associate
This is why they are getting a lot of hate from companies and the general public that is aware of their silly games, they are just out to create drama or push their agenda all the time and their sponsors gear even from companies that rip customers off like MSI, they are none stop MSI fanboys, for the only reason is they get their money for sponsored products. They are both a joke at HUB and ashame the last guy that use to run it left it as he was more honest than these two clowns.

When you call them out on their rubbish they don't even reply to it, example here of an unrealistic test setup :- https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1372676102754160640

I think they're out to create money through honest transparent reviews, drama doesn't make them money. YT revenue is poor, so sponsors and patreons are where they get the money. They've turned down review bribes before, which is sensible from a financial perspective as it's not sustainable for a channel based on transparency. I'm pretty sure they hammered MSI for dodgy doings with scalping, and have reviewed poor motherboards from them too.

Doing tests in whatever scenario is content, just because you don't like doesn't make it unrealistic. A 3600 with 3090 isn't even an unrealistic scenario anyway. Gamersnexus does uncommon tests too, like his last video.

Soldato
I think they're out to create money through honest transparent reviews, drama doesn't make them money. YT revenue is poor, so sponsors and patreons are where they get the money. They've turned down review bribes before, which is sensible from a financial perspective as it's not sustainable for a channel based on transparency. I'm pretty sure they hammered MSI for dodgy doings with scalping, and have reviewed poor motherboards from them too.

Doing tests in whatever scenario is content, just because you don't like doesn't make it unrealistic. A 3600 with 3090 isn't even an unrealistic scenario anyway. Gamersnexus does uncommon tests too, like his last video.

You don't really know what they are doing in the background, refusing a bribe as they put it may actually have been not enough money to sponsor a review and they turned it into a bribe because they didn't like the outcome, becareful what you believe from people, especially when it's about money.

There is way too much drama on youtube these days and not sticking to their channels topics. It's all becoming clickbait and hyping their sponsors.

Gamers Nexus is also doing a lot of drama videos recently and not the same channel as before. Youtube and all the money and free gear.. They all show their true faces later.

Associate
You don't really know what they are doing in the background, refusing a bribe as they put it may actually have been not enough money to sponsor a review and they turned it into a bribe because they didn't like the outcome, becareful what you believe from people, especially when it's about money.

There is way too much drama on youtube these days and not sticking to their channels topics. It's all becoming clickbait and hyping their sponsors.

Yes we can be sceptical about such things, and is wise i'd agree. I suspect the video on the LG monitor recently was done as easy content to add to their revenue, (you need regular videos), but also to show they're being unbias which is key to their success. However bad mouthing a company by twisting their words won't do them any favours as they'd lose their sponsorship from others too, and eventually get called out as liars so it wouldn't be worth it long term.

I'm more likely to side with HUB than the corporates. Just looking at how the GPU market is right now shows nobody really cares about the gamer. Except OCuk given the forum deals.

Caporegime

Yes they depend on their audience for their income, you know how volatile they are.

Everyone is a winner, its all the same you know.

Associate
Seems a sensible conclusion, 11400 if you don't plan on upgrading in the near future, b550 if you do.
Those 5800 and 5900 will hold their value in the years to come I suspect, much like the haswell i7s did as the swansong of the ddr3 era

Associate
Yeah it was an odd test, I can understand him using a 3070 since a gamer on a budget should always get the best GPU they can afford but seems odd to pick the 11700 and 5800X as they are certainly not what I'd consider budget processors. Should have been the 5600X vs 11400F.

A 3070 is above what most gamers would buy

Don't confuse people on an enthusiasts forum with gamers in general

There is a reason the 1050/1060 are one of the best selling cards ever

Soldato
A 3070 is above what most gamers would buy

Don't confuse people on an enthusiasts forum with gamers in general

There is a reason the 1050/1060 are one of the best selling cards ever
Budget Gpus start at around £400 in 2021 if you want something new that is but the above still stands and if anything the cpu choice will matter even less with a weaker GPU as even something like a 9400f would be plenty for a 1050/60.

Associate

In this case he is testing the platform which is cheap motherboard, 8c CPU and a decent GPU. I do kind of agree with you for their usual CPU testing but there are other places that do low res testing for their CPU reviews and not all outlets have to provide the same content.

I would also love to see if the low res theory is proven. I think HardOCP did some testing at one point but it may have been a different site and in any event it was a while ago. I would really like to see a 9900K + 1080Ti system vs a 2700X + 1080Ti system low res tested with 2017/early 2018 games to see which comes out ahead (9900K I expect) and then test both CPUs with a 3080/3090 in the latest games to see if the 9900K can offer a better experience at 1440p / 4k with the more powerful GPU than the 2700X can. This would provide useful information for people who intend to keep their system a long time because it may make it worthwhile to spend an extra £50 on the CPU + Mobo if it means you can keep it for an extra 2/3 years and it can survive 1 or maybe even 2 GPU upgrades without becoming too much of a bottleneck.

Soldato

Gamers Nexus is also doing a lot of drama videos recently and not the same channel as before. Youtube and all the money and free gear.. They all show their true faces later.

Airing dirty business decisions like that wouldn't work. All a manufacturer has to do is come out and say that youtuber A wanted more money than previously provide recipts and that would instantly sink their channel with no coming back, as they would lose both their viewers and other business partners who would now know that youtuber A will be willing to throw them under the bus if they don't get enough money.

It is good to be skeptical but you have to be realistic

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If you're buying an 11700K or a 5800X you're not at the value end of the market.

A 3070 isn't value end either.

I would absolutely consider 10700k/5800x as the value end of the market.

3070 is a bit weird at current prices but at MSRP, it's also in the value segment.

Soldato
As far as consumer hardware and gaming goes I'd consider the likes of the 5800X to be mid range, something like the 11400F would be 'value' which I find is often used interchangeably with 'budget' when people talk about tech.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

11400F - 'Am I a joke to you?'.

That's budget, not value.

Ultra budget (Athlon/Celeron/Pentium) > budget (3400G/i5s 11400f) > value (5600x/5800x/i7s 10700k) > performance/enthusiast (5900x/5950x/i9s 11900k) > HEDT (Threadripper) > Ultra HEDT (Threadripper Pro)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom