Transgender MTF picked for Olympics weightlifting

Soldato
How is this individual allowed when there was a monumental fuss kicked up with Caster Semenya.
Now there is a limit to the amount of testosterone a female athlete is allowed. Hubbard I assume is taking inhibitors that lower hers the the required level. Semenya has a testosterone level that's a lot higher than the average female, if she took the same inhibitors as Hubbard to get it to a normal level she would be allowed to compete.

Soldato
How is this individual allowed when there was a monumental fuss kicked up with Caster Semenya.
Caster is assumed intersex (I don't think it was ever confirmed?) and her testosterone is in the male range. She basically has testes within her that will never descend but continue to produce testosterone. I don't believe she is allowed to compete anymore?

Laurel on the other hand is at the right testosterone level for a women. But clearly something is up here, as she has been a man most of her life and benefited from improved bone density, etc, etc.

Caporegime
Neither of which actually change the fact that there are only two biological sexes. Deformities / abnormalities don't change the norm.

Just because it's normal doesn't make it absolute. Biology and psychology are littered with spectrum's, why would this be different?

Soldato
I for one welcome this, just so I can sit back and watch the fireworks.

Same here. In fact I'd go as far as to say I'm 100% in favour of these new women going forward and taking over in every single women's event and I would be 100% behind calling every woman who dares to complain about this somehow being "unfair" a bigoted right-wing transphobic Nazi who needs to be cancelled immediately for their anti inclusion and diversity views!

:D

Soldato
Now there is a limit to the amount of testosterone a female athlete is allowed. Hubbard I assume is taking inhibitors that lower hers the the required level. Semenya has a testosterone level that's a lot higher than the average female, if she took the same inhibitors as Hubbard to get it to a normal level she would be allowed to compete.
Ah, I see. Doesn't make sense but a bit clearer.

I just find the whole situation bizarre. Clean athletes use their natural attributes to their advantage. It's like Michael Phelps using his unique body proportions to help him swim better, Usain Bolt using his, long for a sprinter, legs to his advantage or a boxer with long arms using his reach advantage over a boxer with a shorter reach.

I just find it a really weird message that you can be born a female but banned from competing with females unless you have therapy to reduce your natural chemistry but if you're a dude and trained as a dude all of your life but then decided to transition later in life... That's A-OK.

Back
Top Bottom