PC Repair Recommendations

Associate
Hope this is within the rules of the forum, but after spending months trying to find the reason for my PC's intermittent crashing while playing games, I think I need a repair shop to try and identify the root cause.

I'm guessing its a hardware issue, but frankly I'm at a loss, so want an expert to take a look and see if they can solve it.

Can anyone recommend a shop/person who would do a good job of diagnosing and repairing these types of issues with a gaming PC? I'm based in TW15 (Ashford Middlesex) but i'm willing to travel for a recommended person who will do a good job.

Thanks!

Soldato
Before you pay out any money to a percon or shop perhaps you could explain what issue/s you're having and also what your PC specs are ?. And someone I'm sure will know how to solve them and save you money too :). but you may have to give it a day or two :).

Associate
Let us know the issues and share your specs, might be able to help.
Easy to fix issues could be insufficient power, or an overheating cpu from a poorly mounted cooler

Soldato
If you don't mind about a 2 hour drive, you could try the adamant IT guy (google him, he has a youtube channel). Before any of that though, share some details, you may just get some really helpful advice here.

Soldato
Could be a similar issues to what i had, my PSU wasn't up to snuff and would shutdown during heavy load e.g. gaming. New power supply fixed the job. May be an avenue worth exploring but as mentioned we need more details on the problem.

Associate
Go to solutions: Check RAM slots, make sure PSU up to par, Check autorun programs, boot into safe-mode and see if issues persist, Re-Install windows.

See for damage to components.

Associate
OP
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit
  • ASUS Radeon RX 6800 16GB ROG STRIX OC Graphics Car
  • Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P RGB CPU Cooler
  • WD Blue SN550 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
  • WD Gold 6TB hard Drive SATA 6Gbs
Basically, the issue is that my PC freezes randomly when playing games.
It freezes regularly (normally once in about 30 mins to an hour) playing Escape From Tarkov or The Hunter Call Of The Wild, and less regularly when playing less demanding games like Subnautica/Dying Light (although freezes do still occur).

I either get a "freeze" where everything freezes, PC light starts to flash, and all I can do is reboot by holding the power down.
Sometimes instead I have the computer suddenly restart itself on its own. I have also had BSOD too, but that is the least regular one.

I installed 'Who Crashed' to try and analyze the issues, it seems like there are 4 dumps that are not corrupted... 1 for pshed.dll and 3 for ntoskrnl.exe
No dump files get created for the other, non BSOD crashes/freezes.

Things I tried:
Deleting and reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU
Updating drivers
A new GPU - Returned and new one provided.
Overnight Memtest - Clear
Checked if XMP was enabled, it was not.
Reseated CPU and applied new thermal paste and reinstalled cooler

However, last thing I did was install the replacement GPU, then reinstalled windows... so I probably could do with another driver update accross the board (motherboard etc.) to be sure they are not the issue, but I did rule those out before replacing the GPU.

Would love to fix this myself, but totally out of ideas...
It may be a faulty part/build issue, but I don't have other parts to try in their place like a professional would do.

That shop "Adamant IT" I had seen on you tube and was very impressed by the work he puts into his diagnosis, but I would hate to do two, four hour round trips and find I still have the issue (it's intermittent, and I have not found a way to reliably reproduce this issue). Would love someone as good as him to work on it, but if they are closer so I can return if still not fixed...

Soldato
Why do you not have the XMP RAM profile set ? Probably find your RAM is running at the wrong speed/timings.
Possibly a power supply issue. Make sure you supply the video card from two seperate PCIE cables not the same one from the PSU.

A repair shop wont do anything more that you already have done and probably charge you for it too.

Associate
OP
I'm sure I tried turning XMP on after someone advised to try turning it off, made no difference, but i'll turn it on again.
GPU is powered using 2 cables (another fix I tried after I originally used one cable with a splitter), again that didn't fix it.

Forgot to mention, when I benchmark/stress the CPU the temps are really high, but that seems like it may be normal for the 5800X. Plus if it gets to over 90 degrees it begins throttling so the benchmark/stress doesn't cause the shutdown... but it get up to near 90 very quickly.

Soldato
Certainly a tricky one, bios update? Short of having spares to hand, there's going to be limited things you can try without spending wonga.

You could try giving Graham (Adamant IT guy) a call to see if you can arrange a time slot for him to go over the system, then find something to do in town for a few hours whilst he give's it a once over (save making multiple trips). My local guys are wishful thinkers with their prices and diagnostic abilities, can't believe what i've paid for in the past out of desperation, i can appreciate the frustration.

Associate
OP
For the BIOS, the first thing I did when I did the original build was download the latest BIOS from the ASUS website onto a USB stick then install it using the 'BIOS Flashback' button directly on the motherboard, so it should have the latest version.

Yes I was well impressed with Graham when he did a diagnosis of a similar issue on a youtube video. He examines the build and seems very thorough... Maybe worth a trip, but If I get home and it just freezes again I think I will cry LOL
I saw another video where it turned out the CPU fan was incompatible with the motherboard and it was very slightly touching a component causing it to overheat, so really this could be anything!

If you have different CPU, Cooler, PSU, RAM etc. to hand you can try to switch things out one by one, but it's my first build and I don't have spares to try that.

A different PSU isn't too much over 100 quid, a different CPU fan would be less, both could be worth a try... but I'm guessing here really.
Just want to rule things out and get to the bottom of this, I'm already down a lot of money and months later still cant play games properly without getting really annoyed when it suddenly crashes.

Soldato
Basic check time:

Does it crash with the BIOS defaults?
Are the RAM sticks in the correct slots?
Have you run Memtest?
Have you run Prime95?
Have you stress-tested the CPU and GPU?
Have you checked the PSU cables at the PSU?
Are the fans all working? Physically check; don't take readings. I had a fan on a Titan X fail.
Have you plugged in another monitor to monitor temperatures etc when playing your games? Are you logging the results?

Associate
The temps do seem high. Is there adequate cooling into the case and enough exhausting of hot air? What cooler do you have out of interest? Can you post a few pics of inside the case?

May be worth running with the side panel off to see if you get the crashes

Back
Top Bottom