• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
2519 is the default max if I set everything back to stock and go to freshly edit the settings.

Max - I've not changed the min frequency yet. I'm out of date when it comes to Radeon overclocking (last time I was serious about it was on 1950XTX crossfire) so have some more work to do on it. I get the feeling I should be able to get a higher stable clock if I increase to 1200mv but need to figure out how to keep her cool enough when running those speeds and voltage - I currently hit the 100-110C heat limit on hotspot when over 2750 max core. Will changing min frequency mess with power consumption outside of games?

I have absolutely no idea, i used to have a 1070 so im used to overclocking that using msi afterburner. I have never played around with amd before. I have a r9 5900x with my 6900xtu. So im just trying to squeeze as much as i can out of it and see what scores i get. I will probably just play with rage mode enabled tbh.

Associate
2519 is the default max if I set everything back to stock and go to freshly edit the settings.

Max - I've not changed the min frequency yet. I'm out of date when it comes to Radeon overclocking (last time I was serious about it was on 1950XTX crossfire) so have some more work to do on it. I get the feeling I should be able to get a higher stable clock if I increase to 1200mv but need to figure out how to keep her cool enough when running those speeds and voltage - I currently hit the 100-110C heat limit on hotspot when over 2750 max core. Will changing min frequency mess with power consumption outside of games?

Just saw what temps youre getting
Im hitting 50°c on the junction temperature on air. What case do you have? And have you changed the fan curve at all?

Associate
Just saw what temps youre getting
Im hitting 50°c on the junction temperature on air. What case do you have? And have you changed the fan curve at all?

Using a Corsair 760T with 2 intake fans at the front, a 280 radiator in the top pulling into the case (for positive pressure) and the 160 fan at the back for exhaust. I was hitting ~100-105 (and 110 briefly!) hotspot with fan on 100% constant when running the FF XV benchmark and in other benchmarks. The main GPU temp was hovering in the 68-70 range on 100% fan and was hitting 74 before down clocking on the default fan curve. I'm wondering if redoing the thermal pads and paste may help but am not convinced I'd do a good enough job (despite redoing CPU paste for 15+ years).

Caporegime
Using a Corsair 760T with 2 intake fans at the front, a 280 radiator in the top pulling into the case (for positive pressure) and the 160 fan at the back for exhaust. I was hitting ~100-105 hotspot with fan on 100% constant when running the FF XV benchmark and in other benchmarks. The main GPU temp was hovering in the 68-70 range on 100% fan and was hitting 74 before down clocking on the default fan curve. I'm wondering if redoing the thermal pads and paste may help but am not convinced I'd do a good enough job (despite redoing CPU paste for 15+ years).
Make the top radiator exhaust, it will likely help GPU temps.

You could also use stock clocks and try undervolting.

Associate

You could also use stock clocks and try undervolting.

Undervolting worked well on stock clocks (down to 1030mv IIRC) but I want speed :p

Have been tempted to make the rad exhaust but at the time (3-4 years ago) everyone I spoke to told me to go for positive pressure? I'll take the side off the case and try then to see if it makes a difference - if so I'll reverse the radiator fans.

Caporegime
Undervolting worked well on stock clocks (down to 1030mv IIRC) but I want speed :p

Have been tempted to make the rad exhaust but at the time (3-4 years ago) everyone I spoke to told me to go for positive pressure? I'll take the side off the case and try then to see if it makes a difference - if so I'll reverse the radiator fans.
Yeah I used to be the same with the positive pressure, but now i just reconfigured my fan speeds slightly ( and I removed 1 exhaust - did have 4 at one point) and I now have my top fans as exhaust with 3 intake and 3 exhaust.

I just have my intake at a slightly higher RPM vs exhaust. Using a Phanteks P600s here.

Associate
Using a Corsair 760T with 2 intake fans at the front, a 280 radiator in the top pulling into the case (for positive pressure) and the 160 fan at the back for exhaust. I was hitting ~100-105 hotspot with fan on 100% constant when running the FF XV benchmark and in other benchmarks. The main GPU temp was hovering in the 68-70 range on 100% fan and was hitting 74 before down clocking on the default fan curve. I'm wondering if redoing the thermal pads and paste may help but am not convinced I'd do a good enough job (despite redoing CPU paste for 15+ years).
Yeah i was thinking that, it will be blowing warm air onto it the moment. I have 6 120mm fans as intake 3 directly below the gpu and a ekwb elite 360 aio with fans as exhaust. Just doing a a stress test and the junction is maxing at at 97°c it drops down so quickly i wasnt noticing the peak during the benchmarks

Associate
Ran a quick test with the case side window open and was running 2800 max (though really seeing ~2750) and hotspot never broke 92C. Guess I know what I'm reversing this evening :)

With that headroom I'll boost her to 1200mv and see what she can clock to with that new headroom - thanks for the push to mess with the airflow :)

Caporegime
Ran a quick test with the case side window open and was running 2800 max (though really seeing ~2750) and hotspot never broke 92C. Guess I know what I'm reversing this evening :)

With that headroom I'll boost her to 1200mv and see what she can clock to with that new headroom - thanks for the push to mess with the airflow :)
Living up to your name. :p

Jokes aside, yeah I think it will give you a bit more headroom to push it further.

Soldato
Congrats, pic for the OP please.

Curious to know if you have the XTX or XTXH version and what your default core clock is in Radeon Software > GPU Tuning?
Here is a pic, its a bit messy but it works:
Had to use some old 8pin pcie extensions as the rm1000 cables are so stiff i could not get the side on:(

Associate
Mine had a bit when i first got it. Now whisper quiet.

How long have you had your GPU?
I had it for a week of intense benchmarking to try and reduce the whine and whilst it dropped by about 50% i could still hear it 4 foot away when I moved my mouse over the start menu XD unfortunately yodel have had decided to keep hold of it for the last 6 days instead of taking it back so I have the joy of trying to play on my 8700k onboard and It's not much fun but is infinitely better than my 5600x onboard options.

Associate
I had it for a week of intense benchmarking to try and reduce the whine and whilst it dropped by about 50% i could still hear it 4 foot away when I moved my mouse over the start menu XD unfortunately yodel have had decided to keep hold of it for the last 6 days instead of taking it back so I have the joy of trying to play on my 8700k onboard and It's not much fun but is infinitely better than my 5600x onboard options.

I have had no issue with coil whine at all

Caporegime
I never had whine whilst moving the mouse, So I can see that it must have been worse than I had. I would probably try to replace it also if it made a noise when moving the mouse.

Back
Top Bottom