• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I also tried some mining quite a few years back and recently did the math's to figure out if it was still worth it.

Turns out I'd be loosing £19 a month on the new electricity tariff using a 3070 and that's with all LED house lights and auto power off plugs during the night.

Not sure how you worked out you'd be losing money mining - yesterday for £2 leccy I made £8 in crypto, so I'm making about £180 a month at current rates

Associate
Don't think my other half would be too impressed about me sticking it on 16c! :p We just set it to 20 and let it do its thing, the extra £30-40/month for the 4 months or so it's on isn't going to exactly break the bank!

If you were being serious about the 12 bedrooms and dedicated sim room then £130 for both isn't bad, we're paying £115 for a 3 bed

No mate, that was a joke :D, I'm in the same boat, 3 bedroom and one man cave.... but the prices on all the tariffs have just gone up, I was shocked at the difference...

Just shows the difference working from home full time has bumped the readings up too, plus side is I've gone from 10K miles to 200 miles.... plus side is I can now hunt down a V8, V10 or Flat6 for a rarely used daily.

Associate
Not sure how you worked out you'd be losing money mining - yesterday for £2 leccy I made £8 in crypto, so I'm making about £180 a month at current rates

Check out all the new fixed rate energy deals, bloody "shocking".... :D .... Pun....

I-Ron Board ?? Is that an Apple product, I thought I had a magic wash basket :cool::D (good job my better half doesn't use the forum) :p

Permabanned
F'me just been reading through all the posts.... I've just tried to swap my Gas and Electric as the fixed tariff is about to end and it's gone up from £95 to £130 a month (not sure how one guy uses only £40 :confused::D, maybe our 12 bedroom house and dedicated sim racing room is a bit much :D)

I also tried some mining quite a few years back and recently did the math's to figure out if it was still worth it.

Turns out I'd be loosing £19 a month on the new electricity tariff using a 3070 and that's with all LED house lights and auto power off plugs during the night.

So finally things could be on the up, even this morning I've noticed quite a few 3090's appear on eBay with lower prices from the scalpers.

Lol
Yah, anyone thinking there are making £180 a month in the UK mining with 3070/80 etc, does not know how to carry out addition.
Slap on the hefty electricity bill and your making peanuts in my opinion.

Soldato
Lol
Yah, anyone thinking there are making £180 a month in the UK mining with 3070/80 etc, does not know how to carry out addition.
Slap on the hefty electricity bill and your making peanuts in my opinion.

Lets see your calculations then?

£180 is a bit of a stretch at the moment, but easily doable a couple of weeks ago, how much do you think it actually costs to run a single gpu mining 24/7? (hint, its not £150).

I'd imagine the person who posted about using £2 of electric in a day isn't running a single gpu, since that would mean their unit rate is 40p!!

My costs are more like 50p/day, making about £3.50 atm, so ~£3 profit. Sure it's not a huge amount, but still almost £100 for nothing

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'd imagine the person who posted about using £2 of electric in a day isn't running a single gpu, since that would mean their unit rate is 40p!!

My costs are more like 50p/day, making about £3.50 atm, so ~£3 profit. Sure it's not a huge amount, but still almost £100 for nothing

Hmm, while mining my system pulls 550w, so 13.2 kw in 24 hrs at 12p per kw/h = 1.58gbp a day so he wasn't that far off.

No one has noticed my other Threadripper system going full chat at Uni yet though ;)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Very true. But you have plenty of rads running, some disk drives, not an inefficient setup by any means - do you know from a wall meter what wattage it uses at idle?

A simplistic mining setup would have a celery type cpu, some RAM and one SSD. Total wattage they pull at idle would be less than 60w probably 50w.

Is your 1080Ti and machine using 550w at the wall really?

My 3090 and full system mining (105MH/s) only uses 335w. If so it sounds like you need to drop some voltage and tweak power delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom