Bathroom extractor fan fun

Associate
The fan packed up and the replacement doesn’t work. I’m thinking the old unit is a 12v and I brought a 240v.

The ceiling is literally the roof with insulation board with a little horizontal right at the top for the downlighting. I can’t get a proper look inside and my phone don’t fit in the hole, I did find twin and earth up there

There is an isolator outside the bedroom wall which I assume goes to the pull switch. Voltage detector pen detects voltage at the switch. I have tested for voltage at the fan with a dodgy multimeter and it’s reading .240ish but with the isolator off it’s .380 (Auto ranging fail?) I should have seen what it read when set to dc I’ll do that tomorrow.

so where would one have hid the transformer? The house had a full rewire In 2007-8, the wife is chewing my ear because the washing machine broke again if I fix something I might get some bedroom fun

Soldato
Transformer will be in the void above ceiling if there is one. but wouldn't expect a t and e coming from a transformer.

What was the old fan wired into? A picture would be helpful. However as i say with all these threads if you dont know or arent confident with what your doing your best of getting someone who does

Soldato
The fan packed up and the replacement doesn’t work. I’m thinking the old unit is a 12v and I brought a 240v.

The ceiling is literally the roof with insulation board with a little horizontal right at the top for the downlighting. I can’t get a proper look inside and my phone don’t fit in the hole, I did find twin and earth up there

There is an isolator outside the bedroom wall which I assume goes to the pull switch. Voltage detector pen detects voltage at the switch. I have tested for voltage at the fan with a dodgy multimeter and it’s reading .240ish but with the isolator off it’s .380 (Auto ranging fail?) I should have seen what it read when set to dc I’ll do that tomorrow.

so where would one have hid the transformer? The house had a full rewire In 2007-8, the wife is chewing my ear because the washing machine broke again if I fix something I might get some bedroom fun

What have you done with the old fan? They usually have model etc printed on them.

Associate
OP
What have you done with the old fan? They usually have model etc printed on them.
Yeah, this is where it gets complicated.
The old fan was 2 wire and I’m sure the new one was 3 wire for a delay.
Anyway the wife binned one I left on the floor which I think was the new fan because the one on the wall is 2 wire but it says 240v.

Associate
OP
Transformer will be in the void above ceiling if there is one. but wouldn't expect a t and e coming from a transformer.

What was the old fan wired into? A picture would be helpful. However as i say with all these threads if you dont know or arent confident with what your doing your best of getting someone who does
im hoping it is in the ceiling but there’s only one cable From what I can see and that would be for the for the lights, the fan is on a separate pull switch.

the fan has 4 core with all cores sleeved as required this is why I got a 240v fan but someone told me 4core can be used I still need to find a 12v online that shows how it’s connected. The 4 core seems to be coming in from below but then it could come from above and routed so it comes out the wall from below.

I know what I need to do it’s just the people who owned the house has done things on the cheap. I had to replace two ceiling roses because they were going though energy saving bulbs when the rest of the house were still on its first. bedroom socket had lose connections, the bathroom lights are not part of the upstairs light ring. They even stained the upstairs doors with dark varnish, there’s no windows on the landing.

Associate
OP
I'm pretty sure it's a 230v feed to that fan, especially if your getting 230v from the isolator...
i would have though 230 would go in to the isolator and out to the pull switch and then to the transformer, I have 240 detected at the pull switch.

I say detected with a voltage detector pen which I brought to trace the cables though the wall but sometimes it detects voltage where there is none. The pen does not detect voltage at the fan and multimeter reads 0.240v and 0.300v with isolator off which points to a failed transformer I was ment to check the isolator off voltage again after a few hrs of it being off to see if it’s zeroed but kids decided to need the toilet

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, this is where it gets complicated.
The old fan was 2 wire and I’m sure the new one was 3 wire for a delay.
Anyway the wife binned one I left on the floor which I think was the new fan because the one on the wall is 2 wire but it says 240v.

OK.

So there is no void or access above the ceiling?

Transformers are usually placed either in a loft space (sounds like this isn't the case) or high level above the bathroom door or high level in a airing cupboard. They need to be accessible for this exact situation.

Associate
OP
OK.

So there is no void or access above the ceiling?

Transformers are usually placed either in a loft space (sounds like this isn't the case) or high level above the bathroom door or high level in a airing cupboard. They need to be accessible for this exact situation.
There is a void but only accessible though downlights, I can’t see it get my hand in. It’s basically the slope roof with insulation board with a level bit for the lights.

I think I’m going to have to cut the board or replace the lot.

Soldato
If the cables hanging down from the ceiling are the ones removed from the back of the old fan and metering out at 240v then you don't have a transformer up there.
The old fan may have been 12v but could have had a built in transformer.
If you are sure there is a transformer up there and the cables are left over from the old fan then give them a good wiggle. From my experience transformers usually aren't connected and you should be able to feel and hear it move around near the hole.

Did the old fan keep running after lights were switched off?

Associate
OP
If the cables hanging down from the ceiling are the ones removed from the back of the old fan and metering out at 240v then you don't have a transformer up there.
The old fan may have been 12v but could have had a built in transformer.
If you are sure there is a transformer up there and the cables are left over from the old fan then give them a good wiggle. From my experience transformers usually aren't connected and you should be able to feel and hear it move around near the hole.

Did the old fan keep running after lights were switched off?
fan is on a separate pull switch. Only access to the void is the holes for the downlights.
I can’t get my hand in to wiggle any cables.

I’m thinking cut a hole in the insulation board, how would I put it back and be able to access. There’s also a pillar type wall that’s not in the kitchen below.

Soldato
fan is on a separate pull switch. Only access to the void is the holes for the downlights.
I can’t get my hand in to wiggle any cables.

I’m thinking cut a hole in the insulation board, how would I put it back and be able to access. There’s also a pillar type wall that’s not in the kitchen below.

Where was the old extractor? If you simply disconnected it and left cables Insitu wiggle those, the transformer would most likely be near the old one.

Associate
OP
Where was the old extractor? If you simply disconnected it and left cables Insitu wiggle those, the transformer would most likely be near the old one.
It’s a double brick house they have chased the cable in, it’s solid no movement. Cable comes from above so it looks like I’ll have to cut an access hole. In the process of shopping for a multitool and some way of making an access panel

Back
Top Bottom