• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Associate
I believe before this year is over 50 games will be supported.
Before 2022 is over 100+ supported games

You will see less DLSS games being released, the reason you only need to look at Freesync for the answer.

This all assumes that Nvidia dont do anything to combat FSR. I thought DLSS 3.0 was supposed to work across a much wider population of games and be easier to implement.

I am not sure why NV users are salty about this though - they get to use both technologies.

Soldato
This all assumes that Nvidia dont do anything to combat FSR. I thought DLSS 3.0 was supposed to work across a much wider population of games and be easier to implement.

I am not sure why NV users are salty about this though - they get to use both technologies.

Because a lot of nvidia users feel like they buying a premium product with premium features.
When Amd keep releasing a features that are free these paid premium doesn't seem all that good anymore.

That big marketing RTX isn't looking all that good now.

So you get defensive players that will down play anything Amd do.

Of course this isn't all users.

Associate
I don't see what they could do to make DLSS better without opening it up to non RTX platforms at which point why bother. Honestly if I were nvidia I'd try the same branding trick they did with "g sync compatible" its an open platform after all. They could just have game devs implement "a special nvidia tuned FSR" and call it DLSS open or something

Soldato
I don't see what they could do to make DLSS better without opening it up to non RTX platforms at which point why bother. Honestly if I were nvidia I'd try the same branding trick they did with "g sync compatible" its an open platform after all. They could just have game devs implement "a special nvidia tuned FSR" and call it DLSS open or something

They can do what they want but the goal of AMD would still be achieved and that is to kill off the properietary DLSS tech since the Nvidia rebranded FSR would work with all gpu's just like Freesync/G-sync compatible monitors work with everything.

Caporegime
Cant trust DF anymore, it is what happens when your not skilled enough about the subject and paid by nvidia to do reviews it infects them perceptually what and how their judgement works.
Misleading people, 117803 showcases atm is really bad

I suspect this is pretty much what happens, they have an editorial created by Nvidia to follow, which has been deliberately engineered to produce a desired result and DF are either too stupid to see it or they do it anyway hoping everyone who sees it is doesn't look at it too critically.

The problem for them is they are already not trusted, that 3080 review Nvidia paid them for was a provable hack job to result in line with Nvidia's exaggerated marketing.

Just like what is happening now the internet proved what they did and how they did it, DF are a target now for scrutiny and they did this to themselves by taking Nvidia's money for that hack job of a review in the first place.

Soldato
OP
They can do what they want but the goal of AMD would still be achieved and that is to kill off the properietary DLSS tech since the Nvidia rebranded FSR would work with all gpu's just like Freesync/G-sync compatible monitors work with everything.

Gsync modules are still around and still offer a superior experience that's possibly what will happen to dlss, it's support May drop for an inferior feature. Oh well there is a history of it, it's 2021 and we still have games with short physics that can't even match Nvidias physx from 10 years ago - we replace innovative proprietary products with "Chinese copy" style "freeware" that can't do the same thing but it gains popularity because it's free

Caporegime

As long as it doesn't work on AMD's GPU's, Nvidia's own older GPU and Consoles, which FSR does, DLSS is doomed to fail.

Personally i don't care if its FSR or DLSS that wins this, for me its about usability, that the technology doesn't care what GPU you have, that: "it just works" and that's not what Nvidia are about, for them these technologies are about locking you in to their hardware and for that reason it will fail, on that basis it also deservers to.

Soldato
Gsync modules are still around and still offer a superior experience that's possibly what will happen to dlss, it's support May drop for an inferior feature. Oh well there is a history of it, it's 2021 and we still have games with short physics that can't even match Nvidias physx from 10 years ago - we replace innovative proprietary products with "Chinese copy" style "freeware" that can't do the same thing but it gains popularity because it's free

Its called `open source` and `not paying Nvidia to licence it`. PhysX was great, until Nvidia bought Aegia and locked it up behind a paywall. VRR is part of the VESA spec, you know that industry standard which you call *Chinese copy*

Last edited:
Soldato
So after the dust as settled with FSR...

I think its worth while agreeing its a successful launch.
So based on this I am going to predict.

I believe before this year is over 50 games will be supported.
Before 2022 is over 100+ supported games

You will see less DLSS games being released, the reason you only need to look at Freesync for the answer.

Devs will not spend extra time and money to enable DLSS for a small player base when they can add in FSR for FREE and get more players in.

Also allows more players to enjoy higher frame rates than what they could without FSR.

@LtMatt post above about 6700 not classed as a 4k GPU but with FSR enabled it jumps a generation in performance.

Honestly my opinion FSR is more groundbreaking than DLSS because of my points above.
Not because what one is doing the better job, just like Gsync is also regarded the better of the two technologies but yo see open source free to add will always win.

Why pay for little gain.

;)

I think Nvidia will keep improving DLSS and AMD will keep improving FSR. I think FSR will see wider adoption but the majority of AAA games will at least initially be DLSS only because Nvidia will pay them for the exclusive. So longer term DLSS will still be objectivey better (though not by much) but FSR will see a much wider aoption rate in sheer numbers.

Soldato
OP
I think Nvidia will keep improving DLSS and AMD will keep improving FSR. I think FSR will see wider adoption but the majority of AAA games will at least initially be DLSS only because Nvidia will pay them for the exclusive. So longer term DLSS will still be objectivey better (though not by much) but FSR will see a much wider aoption rate in sheer numbers.

Your hope that games built on major engines like UE5, Unity, Frostbite etc would support both since both claims to be easy to implement so why not both

Soldato
Tbh it's nice to see DF come out and agree they messed up.
I do like Digital Foundry so I refuse to point fingers at them.

But I would expect better from them seeing other reviewer did a better job.

Only because they were caught out and had no option, but even then they stuck to their flawed conclussion based on FSR at performance setting.

Associate
you know that industry standard which you call *Chinese copy*
I don't like Nvidia too much but FSR is a chinese copy compared with DLSS, or better said with what a DLSS feature can become. But like Huawei, without interventionism the chinese copy will dominate the world. :)

I think you are right, this is my opinion too. FSR can also get improvements from anyone else but the problem is, as it is right now, it doesn't have the same potential for improvement that a DLSS-like solution has.

Last edited:
Associate

you say that like its a fact when its just your opinion

is Gsync really superior to Freesync premium or pro which Is on all the monitors that compete price wise with gsyc

when the reality is the cheaper monitors which run standard freesync dont even have comparable G sync models so 100% of the budget market vs 0%

Soldato
Seems the Godfall images may also suffer from the DoF issue.

So DF are either utterly incompetent, or deliberately and willingly testing in a way that makes FSR look worse. Either way it totally and utterly discredits their testing and their conclusions.

EDIT: Does the DoF issue apply to the KitGuru review as well?

Caporegime
Your hope that games built on major engines like UE5, Unity, Frostbite etc would support both since both claims to be easy to implement so why not both

It is easy to implement, but unless you have the time and resources to take tens of thousands of 16K images and upload them to Nvidia's servers it doesn't work properly, it works funnily enough a lot like DLSS 1

Soldato
I don't like Nvidia too much but FSR is a chinese copy compared with DLSS, or better said with what a DLSS feature can become. But like Huawei, without interventionism the chinese copy will dominate the world. :)

I think you are right, this is my opinion too. FSR can also get improvements from anyone else but the problem is, as it is right now, it doesn't have the same potential for improvement that a DLSS-like solution has.

Since FSR is open source I expect improvements will come pretty fast. Once people get their hands on the code you will see Reshade implementing it imo and that will make it work with nearly all existing games to some degree. AMD has already said it can be injected into any game but the best results come when devs code it into their games properly.

Caporegime
Since FSR is open source I expect improvements will come pretty fast. Once people get their hands on the code you will see Reshade implementing it imo and that will make it work with nearly all existing games to some degree. AMD has already said it can be injected into any game but the best results come when devs code it into their games properly.

Hopefully they will have a plugin for Unreal Engine, then i can compare them properly.

Back
Top Bottom