Msi b450 mortar max

Associate
Hi unsure if the bios is out yet but is there any point in buying a new b550 motherboard for a Ryzen 5800x cpu? My current board is a
Msi b450m mortar max running a 5600 cpu, the new battlefield is being released soon and I want more cores for extra headroom..
Pc is only used for purely for gaming only.
Cost effective way is just replace the cpu.
Can this be done and I would not lose that much in performance??

Man of Honour
I can't imagine you'll have any issues at all with a 5800X in that board, but wouldn't it be a good idea to try the game first on the 5600X, before you buy a new CPU?

Associate
OP
Hi Tetras
Firstly thank you for the reply.
So I take it the bios updates are now released for the newer cpu regarding the b450 motherboards?
I play bf5 and even on my system plays it fine but FPS do hover between 90/130 FPS and I expect with this newer battlefield I could get 20% frame loss being a newer game..
But you are correct maybe I should wait and see how it plays…
Ut knowing I can drop in a 5800x would put my mind at rest

Man of Honour
Hi Tetras
Firstly thank you for the reply.
So I take it the bios updates are now released for the newer cpu regarding the b450 motherboards?
I play bf5 and even on my system plays it fine but FPS do hover between 90/130 FPS and I expect with this newer battlefield I could get 20% frame loss being a newer game..
But you are correct maybe I should wait and see how it plays…
Ut knowing I can drop in a 5800x would put my mind at rest
Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the same BIOS that supports your 5600X will also support the 5800X, weren't they released at the same time?

Soldato
In gaming loads VRM of that board is OK for 5800X.
But if you already have 5600X, there wouldn't be any real difference in most games.

Associate
OP
From my understanding in terms of gaming performance the 5600x and 5800x runs roughly the same from what I seen on a review but I like the 5800x as it willl give me more headroom for future games needing maybe more cores…
My 3600 is a good little cpu but I built this pc for the intension of dropping in a 5series cpu at a later date that would give me a nice performance boost for not a lot of money…
Why buy a b550 if my b450 will do the same job…I was unclear if the new bios was even out yet.
YouTube pc builders are struggling to make video as stock is hard to find…
And I could not find any info on 5 series cpu on b450 boards…
My bad thou as I said I had a 5600x when I only have a 3600.. sorry

Man of Honour
From my understanding in terms of gaming performance the 5600x and 5800x runs roughly the same from what I seen on a review but I like the 5800x as it willl give me more headroom for future games needing maybe more cores…
My 3600 is a good little cpu but I built this pc for the intension of dropping in a 5series cpu at a later date that would give me a nice performance boost for not a lot of money…
Why buy a b550 if my b450 will do the same job…I was unclear if the new bios was even out yet.

Support was slower coming for B450, but according to the support page of your motherboard, it has been supported since the BIOS released in February :)

Soldato
I'd definetly go for a 8 cores and while 6 is ok for now it's only going to get worse from here.

Been running a 5800X on my MSI B450 tomahawk max since early December and its been very solid so far.

Associate
OP
I'd definetly go for a 8 cores and while 6 is ok for now it's only going to get worse from here.

Been running a 5800X on my MSI B450 tomahawk max since early December and its been very solid so far.
This is great news for me knowing you had no issue with this newer cpu in such a motherboard ty

Back
Top Bottom