S10e Replacement(s)

Associate
My contract will be up in a month so i'll be looking to replace the S10e!

Is there anything of similar size with modern specs, or am I going back to carrying around a housebrick again? I could just keep it and go sim free of course, but wanted to see if there was anything shiny and new I could get!

Thanks.

Soldato
Usual Pixel 5 recommendation for something that isn't big, also Xperia 5 II and upcoming III could be interesting to you, problem is that they are tall because of the aspect ratio.

There are also potential rumours of Sony doing a true compact phone later this year.

Soldato
Yep Pixel 5 probably the go to right now. The Mrs’ contract is up next month and she has S10e as well. At this moment in time I’ll be recommending the Pixel 5 or iPhone 12 Mini. Happy to wait and see what comes out in the meantime though.

Associate
OP
Pixel 5 looks like a decent choice I think, will see what sort of deals are available for it as and when the contract is actually up!

Associate
I'm a little late to the party but my wife has an S10e too and I was looking at upgrade options; the S21 is only a bit longer without being too stretched (that's the latest Xperias) so it is a viable alternative.

Soldato
Any updates to the suggestions here? two contract days left and unsure whether to just go sim only at this point!

If you're in no hurry, put in a 30-day SIM and wait. As above, the Pixel 5 and iPhone 12 are the obvious replacements for the s10e at the moment, but the latter will be updated in September and the Pixel 6 will likely be out not long after.

Associate
OP
TY both, not really interested in iphones to be honest though i have considered it.
Didn't realise the s21 isn't actually much bigger than the s10e.
Maybe i'll wait though as really i don't care about having the latest/greatest phone any more

Soldato
Depends where you draw the line I guess, the s21 is ~15% bigger than the s10e, nearly 1cm longer.

I really wish there was an android device the size of the iphone 12 mini, I might sit and wait for the pixel 6 announcement although I'm not keen on being a guinea pig for first gen hardware for their new SOC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really wish there was an android device the size of the iphone 12 mini

I've alternated between Android and iOS devices for as long as I can remember (not deliberately alternated - that's just how things ended up) and the two are much of a muchness. You can fiddle on with Android a bit more, while iOS looks after your privacy more. The Mini 12 is a great phone (my wife has one). Is the right hardware not enough to make you try different software?

Associate
OP
I've alternated between Android and iOS devices for as long as I can remember (not deliberately alternated - that's just how things ended up) and the two are much of a muchness. You can fiddle on with Android a bit more, while iOS looks after your privacy more. The Mini 12 is a great phone (my wife has one). Is the right hardware not enough to make you try different software?

I dislike the whole Apple ecosystem where everything is governed by them, yeah i guess in terms of security it's likely a better approach but that comes at the cost of flexibility. Realistically it would have little effect on a single iphone user but i guess maybe it's the principle of it all? Who knows.

I really wish there was an android device the size of the iphone 12 mini, I might sit and wait for the pixel 6 announcement although I'm not keen on being a guinea pig for first gen hardware for their new SOC.

Exactly this, I guess the we're in the minority though really!

Soldato

My mrs also has the 12 mini, it's a great phone for sure and a love the size, it is certainly tempting.

I've been android for what feels like forever now but I don't have any particular ties to it, it's just what I've always used, got my app/launchers all set up the way I like, don't particularly like change :D

Associate
OP
My mrs also has the 12 mini, it's a great phone for sure and a love the size, it is certainly tempting.

I've been android for what feels like forever now but I don't have any particular ties to it, it's just what I've always used, got my app/launchers all set up the way I like, don't particularly like change :D

I'm pretty much in the same boat, i just like not being tied into anything and being able to set things up how i like. Probably is more me being a stick in the mud over anything else mind.

Soldato
Further to what I said above about recommending either Pixel 5 or iPhone Mini to my OH she decided to just keep her S10e for another while and I added her onto to my Sky Mobile account for £8pm, she’s more than happy.
I think she finally realised how liberating SIM only is plus there really is still nothing out there that is a true successor to the S10e, it’s a cracking little phone.

Back
Top Bottom