*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm ok so I turned on Intel PTT in the BIOS of my 'Z170X Gaming 5' - I also had to set the OS type in BIOS from Other OS to Windows 8/10. I think it was set to Other OS by default and I had left it at that for years. anyway Device Manager now shows TPM 2.0 but health checker says I can't run Windows 11 - So anyone have any ideas on that lol.

I don't use OneDrive sync or anything but that should not factor into Windows 11 compatibility...

tmp.jpg

Permabanned
Hmm ok so I turned on Intel PTT in the BIOS of my 'Z170X Gaming 5' - I also had to set the OS type in BIOS from Other OS to Windows 8/10. I think it was set to Other OS by default and I had left it at that for years. anyway Device Manager now shows TPM 2.0 but health checker says I can't run Windows 11 - So anyone have any ideas on that lol.

I don't use OneDrive sync or anything but that should not factor into Windows 11 compatibility...

tmp.jpg

i would not worry about it there is already a work around.

Soldato
Those not able to install Windows 11 right now, you need to find and enable Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 in your BIOS. I hope Microsoft ease up on these requirements though, as a lot of otherwise perfectly useable hardware is going to be abandoned.

I'm glad I was too busy to watch that launch video. It was wishy-washy, mundane and didn't really tell me anything that I didn't know.

One question though. If Windows 11 is free, why do you need to activate it to personalise your settings (ie: colours, desktop background)?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah secure boot, I did not look for that cheers will havea look now.

I also noticed that my mobo has a socket for TPM:

oYIvJAa.png

Now Gigabyte also sells a TPM 2.0 module that plugs into this socket: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-TPM20#ov

This is interesting, if secure boot is enabled then I guess the PTT option I turned on in the BIOS that added the TPM capability is simply for the socket, and adding the module to that socket physically enables all TPM features the OS can use.

Edit*
Seems Secure boot as mentioned does not need to be on, just the be capable of secure boot.

Associate
The pc health check tool says my pc is 10 years old, its not, its 13 :)

Seems the win 11 checker doesn't like windows 10 pro - says I need to contact my IT dept which is interesting as I need to speak to myself, about my home pc

Associate
Hello, what happens if your PC supports PTT (below) and NOT TPM? Can I run Windows 11 on a PC launched this year!

Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) - Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) offers the capabilities of discrete TPM 2.0. Intel PTT is a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8* and Windows® 10. Intel PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom