Transgender MTF picked for Olympics weightlifting

Soldato
Because I have a literature and language degree, and understand the topic better than you, I'm the ignorant troll?
Ah, the position of authority fallacy.

You've been repeatedly asked to define your position or how you've come to your conclusion, and you've repeatedly either declined, or been very vague.

You: 2+2=5.
Everyone else: Show your workings?
You: No.

Pointless discussion.

Soldato
The point I was making was whether or not it was my place to define a woman. But to answer the question again, when I say 'woman' I'm talking about psychological and social identity.
By that definition anyone can become anything if they simply believe it to be true, as well as socially identify as something. That is therefore no definition at all.

Caporegime
Again, another person who doesn't understand that language is descriptive, not prescriptive. Definitions change - the dictionary changes! At best a dictionary is a snapshot *of the past*.

And again again, it's not for me to play teacher to people who have no interest in finding out how or why they're wrong (about language).
Language can change, but a small group of vocal people can't dictate to the rest that the meaning of certain words has changed, "without their permission" as you put it.

What you mean is that in your social circle the meaning of the word "woman" now includes just about anybody.

However you'll quickly find that not everybody has accepted your redefinition.

Also words like "sex" are very strongly tied to our scientific understanding, eg of biology. You don't get to have some #change-the-meaning campaign for such words. They mean what they mean, and aren't changing until our scientific understanding changes.

Soldato
It's fine i've got a STEM degree, 10 years ago now mind, but university today really isn't producing the brightest sparks anymore considering a lot of this far left rubbish comes out of universities. They are laughable these days tbh.....

Soldato
Abraham Lincoln once asked an audience how many legs a dog has if you count the tail as a leg. When they answered 'five', Lincoln told them the answer was Four. The fact that you called the tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

In the same vein, the fact a transwoman calls themselves a woman doesn't make them a woman - although for the sake of politeness/kindness/civility I'm prepared to call them that too so long as they don't then start to claim for themselves things that men are not entitled to. Like womens weightlifting medals.

Caporegime
The point I was making was whether or not it was my place to define a woman. But to answer the question again, when I say 'woman' I'm talking about psychological and social identity.

Still not clear.

Do you believe anyone who simply says they’re a woman is a woman? If so, what is a woman beyond some meaningless term anyone can self ID as?

Soldato
In the same vein, the fact a transwoman calls themselves a woman doesn't make them a woman - although for the sake of politeness/kindness/civility I'm prepared to call them that too so long as they don't then start to claim for themselves things that men are not entitled to.

Exactly.

I will be polite and call someone her/him or whatever.

Soldato

Male/Man and Female/Woman are terms that have been used for centuries, they have had the same meaning regardless, at least up until now.

Now they are being manipulated to create new social identities and detract from the meaning of words that have been used for thousands of years. The longer this ideology of imposing beliefs on others continues the more people will resent those who impose it.

Back
Top Bottom