An English omnishambles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm not sure they're equivalent - gammon is just used as a pejorative.

Woke on the other hand is used in reference to both a set of ideologies and people adhering to those ideologies and was a word initially used by people adhering to woke ideologies.

Soldato
Post gammon? Avatar changed to a ham.

Post woke? Avatar changed to a ice rain crystal.

Or change their names to names of wombles, teletubbies or power rangers so that everyone knows they are children with children like mentalities.

Soldato
I don't think the pandemic is bad enough to require quarantine if a poster is infected with either word, for now I say let it rip.

Everything has its season, mayhaps this is the season of woke and gammon.

Associate
As someone who is white and fairly red-faced, how this is a racial slur. Is it used to describe all white, red-faced men? If I call someone a gammon, as someone who fits the stereotype, am I being racist? Can I be racist against fellow white ruddy faced men? Is it racist if I'm calling them a gammon because they're repeating Daily Mail headlines?

Soldato
Like dogs that eat too much, are sick, and then eat their own sick, GD once again finds itself in that repeating prism of word misuse, specifically and to whit: 'woke' and 'gammon'. I'll let everyone take a moment to shudder at just how awful, how repetitive, how stripped of any meaning these tragi-words have become, how boring and lazy they are to employ, how little they add to any dialogue other than to profess affiliation, just how worthless they are as conversational currency. Take a deep breath, it'll help.

GD has never been one for self-regulation; we won't or more likely can't. The playground mentality of herd 1 versus herd 2 and a free platform on which to play this out is too strong. Certain words have been censored in the past and replaced with asterisks, a clumsy but effective method, and sometimes words just pass their use by date and we move on to the next thing (and in true GD style hammer it silly, then drown it, then cut it up into pieces, and bury it in the garden, just to make sure that horse is absolutely flogged to death).

So, what to do with 'woke' and 'gammon'? They seem to be everywhere on GD, far more prevalent than the internet at large, and that's only partly because a large proportion of GD posters parrot without thought or any pretence at considering 'the other side'. Do you think these words will pass, or that they'll get censored in some way (my guess), or just left to clog up the forums?

Thoughts?

I only got to read your post because the wife's watching Question Time and I'm like totally Zzz. GD is full of total ***** and I'm a big fan of your prose.

End of.

Caporegime
As someone who is white and fairly red-faced, how this is a racial slur. Is it used to describe all white, red-faced men? If I call someone a gammon, as someone who fits the stereotype, am I being racist? Can I be racist against fellow white ruddy faced men? Is it racist if I'm calling them a gammon because they're repeating Daily Mail headlines?

Yes, you can be racist against your own race.

A prime example being the specific term choc-ice.

Caporegime
Isn't that just an ice cream? Also, surely red-faced white men aren't a race in themselves, white men are, but that includes all tanned white people too.

Can't tell if you're ignorant, unable to Google or being deliberately obtuse. Possibly a combo. No, it's not just an ice cream, in the same way that gammon isn't just a meat.
It's a racial slur based upon the perception of someone's views used from within ones own race.

As for the second part, yes not all white people are able to have the same complexion. That doesn't stop it being a racial slur. For example referring to black people as fuzzies (not all black people have fuzzy hair) or white people as gweilo (translates as ghost and not all westerners are ghost-white).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom