Fixing Kitchen Sink Seals

Associate
Hi,

My kitchen sink start leaking via the rubber seal underneath the strainer, luckily it's all hand tightened UPVC bits, so I unscrewed and cleaned it all and put it back together but still leaks due to a bad seal.

The actual black rubber gasket seal looks ok to reuse as far as I can tell and the damaged bit is actually a small white strip of what looks like silicone under the strainer, see pic.

How do I replace that white strip, as it does seem damaged? Is this silicone, plumbers mate or something else? Hopefully that's all i need to replace here? Underneath is just the white upvc bit with the gasket sitting directly on top and screwed up tightly.

Thanks!

Soldato
Usually don’t need silicon around these the seals should be enough. Often times the silicon has the opposite effect, rather than the rubber gripping the ceramic it slides over the surface of the silicon. Try scraping the silicon off and putting it back on with no silicon and see if it leaks.

If it still leaks, replace the gasket.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Had this with our stainless kitchen sink. Cleaned up the sealing face and put a small roll of plumbers putty on and tightened up and sealed straight away.

Back
Top Bottom