Ferrari shows off new 296 GTB supercar

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Evo site link.

Ferrari has lifted the lid on its all-new 296 GTB, a mid-engined supercar with a brand new plug-in V6 powertrain, shorter, sharper chassis and a fresh new look. Don’t, however, mistake this V6-powered mid-engined Ferrari for being a junior ‘Dino’-style entry-level model, because with a combined power output of 818bhp and a price point expected to be the thick end of £230,000, it’s anything but. Neither is it a direct F8 replacement, with Ferrari continuing production of the pure V8 model for now.

The combustion engine itself is a brand new 2992cc twin-turbo V6 that’s augmented by a single electric motor sandwiched between it and an eight-speed dual clutch transmission. Despite a similar displacement to Maserati’s new Nettuno engine, the 296’s V6 is in fact completely unrelated, and features a wider 120-degree bank angle, a hot-V turbocharger layout and no clever pre-combustion tech as found in the Maserati. Both combustion engine and electric motor drive the rear wheels – there are no front-mounted electric motors as in the larger SF90.

Soldato
I'd be much more impressed if they released an £85k 'budget' no frills model.

LOL

£85k is £15k less then an F-Type R RRP, no way Ferrari will be looking to compete with the likes of Jaguar in that space, they're a level (or two) above that.

£80k is zero option BMW M4 money these days, not Ferrari territory.

OcUK Staff
Can’t work out if I like the looks or not and the engine well no thanks, it might be mentally fast but that does not mean fun.

I’ll stick with my good old fashioned 9000rpm V8 Ferrari. :)

Soldato
Looks horrendous :eek: Ferrari styling ain't what it used to be anymore & electric engine who on earth wants one of those :rolleyes: give me a good old fashioned V8 Ferrari anyday. 458, 360 or 355 all look & sound incredible :D

Back
Top Bottom