New HTC headsets coming in June

Soldato
OP
this person has done a good write up from there initial impressions, I would agree/concur with their findings:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/nuib1s/vive_pro_2_first_impressions_upgrade_from_valve/

For every user positive review, there seems to a couple of negative ones, with some posters saying they are returning theirs. It seems to be a mixed bag and lines up with the professional reviewers of the headsets. Some found it good, some found it not so good and others found it terrible.

From all the reviews and user opinions I have read, I think a persons experience with the Vive Pro 2 will depend on how well the headset fits them. And, yes, it has always been this way, different headsets suit different people. But, I think the Vive Pro 2 seems to be extra finicky about fitting just right. I am guessing it's because the sweet spot is tiny. If you are lucky enough that the headset fits you perfectly, then you will find the headset amazing.

And, that's the big issue. It's too expensive a product to have so many "meh" reviews. At that price it should be the best headset without a doubt, like the Valve Index was when it released.

Associate
So after a few more days experimenting....

I've seemingly fixed my graphical issues which is good, the latest challenge has been the perfecting the sweet spot.

finding the sweet spot/eye box as a new VR user has been a bloody ball ache im not gonna lie, but when you've got it set up correctly omg what a difference to the scene and clarity of image. The trick I've found is letting the facepad sit above your brow (so quite high on your face), then adjust the headstrap, then adjust the HMD head band, tighten up and finally bring in the screens close to your eyes

Soldato
OP
So after a few more days experimenting....

I've seemingly fixed my graphical issues which is good, the latest challenge has been the perfecting the sweet spot.

finding the sweet spot/eye box as a new VR user has been a bloody ball ache im not gonna lie, but when you've got it set up correctly omg what a difference to the scene and clarity of image. The trick I've found is letting the facepad sit above your brow (so quite high on your face), then adjust the headstrap, then adjust the HMD head band, tighten up and finally bring in the screens close to your eyes

That's the vibe I am getting from all the reviews. Get the screens as close to the eyes as possible.

Good to hear you are happy with the headset. Don't know do you know this, but, there is a software tool out there called Revive, it lets you play Oculus titles on your headset. Games like Asgard's Wrath, Lone echo etc.

Oh, There was firmware update yesterday, make sure you install it, seems to improve performance. I think it improves how DCS works.

Associate
I'm looking at this as my first foray into VR and from a cost perspective the VP2:

Valve Index VR Kit = £919
VP2 + index base stations* + index controllers* = £1,117
VP2 + VIVE controllers x2 + 2x Steam VR Base Station 2.0 = £1,463 <-why would you do this? I've not seen a full kit yet

Another point is HTC after sales sounds notoriously bad, so make sure you buy from reputable dealer i.e. £60 coupon for early sign on, is it worth it if you're buying from HTC direct?

* not in stock at time of writing

Associate
just make sure you pay with a credit card so you get extra protection, if HTC want to fool around with warranty and support raise a claim and let em argue it out with Mastercard or Visa.

and yes the 'VP2 + VIVE controllers x2 + 2x Steam VR Base Station 2.0' package makes no sense its intentional imho to make the other options look more attractive much like Nvidia do with their bs msrp price hikes they are just doing the same.

Don't know do you know this, but, there is a software tool out there called Revive, it lets you play Oculus titles on your headset. Games like Asgard's Wrath, Lone echo etc.

Oh, There was firmware update yesterday, make sure you install it, seems to improve performance. I think it improves how DCS works.

I've not used it yet but was thinking about it for Vader Immortal....

Tried the EA Hind module in DCS the other day just sitting in the cockpit, wow :eek: VR is such a game changer for flightsims the difference cant be understated.

Pity about the news on Frontier doing the dirty sanchez on Elite Dangerous development with VR, I hope they reconsider that not what I expected from them at all tbh :(

Associate
it was on a Twitch stream the other week, the community manager dropped the news that 'there were no plans that he was aware of for further VR development i.e. nothing on their roadmap' or words to that effect. If you go to the Frontier forums its one of the hot topics items which has understandably caused VR players a ton of bad feeling.

Soldato
OP
I've not used it yet but was thinking about it for Vader Immortal....

Tried the EA Hind module in DCS the other day just sitting in the cockpit, wow :eek: VR is such a game changer for flightsims the difference cant be understated.

Pity about the news on Frontier doing the dirty sanchez on Elite Dangerous development with VR, I hope they reconsider that not what I expected from them at all tbh :(

It's free, so you lose nothing by trying it out. If it works well, you have a lot of Oculus Exclusives that you can play like Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo.

Totally agree, VR is a game changer for flight sims, car sims, space sims. Been there, instead of watching it on a screen, is just an amazing experience.

Yeah, damn you Frontier!! I was going to finally start putting serious playtime into Elite Dangerous when the new DLC dropped. But, they have abandoned VR, so I won't bother. :mad:

Soldato
Recently installed revive and have been playing Lone Echo and TheClimb over the last few days, brilliant games and working flawlessly. Also with TheClimb you can adjust the resolution multplier to improve the viewing quality.

Associate
Having had my vive pro 2 for 2 days I decided to send it back. Apart from the improved resolution it’s not even on par with my vive pro 1 and Samsung gear vr lens mod. The sweet spots tiny. The headphones are worse and the softwares buggy as hell. Had lots of bsod’s and a constant usb disconnect/ connect sound when using the headset. I can’t be arsed to be a beta tester again. What is wrong with company’s these days everything’s in beta when it’s released.

Soldato
OP
Having had my vive pro 2 for 2 days I decided to send it back. Apart from the improved resolution it’s not even on par with my vive pro 1 and Samsung gear vr lens mod. The sweet spots tiny. The headphones are worse and the softwares buggy as hell. Had lots of bsod’s and a constant usb disconnect/ connect sound when using the headset. I can’t be arsed to be a beta tester again. What is wrong with company’s these days everything’s in beta when it’s released.

Are you sure the USB disconnects and BSOD's aren't a problem on your PC? Haven't seen these issues reported anywhere else in regard to the Vive Pro 2. Have you sent it back, it might be worth trying the Beta branch of the software before you do.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I have friends who have "upgraded" to the Vive Pro 2 from either the Vive Pro or the Valve Index and they have all returned the headset for nearly the exact same reasons as you. The Vive Pro 2 is clearly an after thought, their priority is the Vive Focus 3 for business. They just put the lenses from the Focus 3 into the Vive Pro casing and some how managed to mess up the head phones and mic along the way.

Soldato
It's a real shame. I love my Index, but the resolution does grate a bit compared to the Quest 2. The Quest 2's narrow FOV and compressed PC image means I prefer using the Index for most PC games. I wouldn't mind a higher resolution Index competitor, but only as long as it's actually as good as the Index in other respects.

Associate
Are you sure the USB disconnects and BSOD's aren't a problem on your PC? Haven't seen these issues reported anywhere else in regard to the Vive Pro 2. Have you sent it back, it might be worth trying the Beta branch of the software before you do.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I have friends who have "upgraded" to the Vive Pro 2 from either the Vive Pro or the Valve Index and they have all returned the headset for nearly the exact same reasons as you. The Vive Pro 2 is clearly an after thought, their priority is the Vive Focus 3 for business. They just put the lenses from the Focus 3 into the Vive Pro casing and some how managed to mess up the head phones and mic along the way.

I think the bsod’s were an nvidia driver issue. 477.11. I tried both nonbeta and beta. The usb noises were definitely the vive. As soon as I unplugged it went away. I’ve never had the issue before or after. The god rays were terrible too. The worse I’ve ever seen. I think lenses are worse thing about the headset. I don’t understand how a hack gear vr mod can be better than a specifically made lens. Makes no sense. I know it might cause a few users head aches but at least give us a option of a different lens option especially with how much difference it makes.

Associate
I saw an interesting fault too the other week, a complete system power off with no notification... happened in Fallout4VR I don't know if its a power draw thing (I use 850w PSU), an overheating problem or some other hardware issue. The only thing I've changed recently is the Nvidia driver and playing FO4VR vs. DayZ and The Room VR.

The eye relief adjustment stopped working too, but has since rectified itself so some mechanical issue going on there.

I think the frustrating thing is I want more than is on offer from the Oc2, Index and Reverb2 but there is nothing other than the VP2 that offers that and it comes with a fair few compromises to boot. Very pleased with the Index controllers and light house tracking I hope those continue to be supported and Valve doesn't just ditch it.

Associate
Have started playing Walking Dead Saints and Sinners on the Vive Pro 2 and had some terrible stuttering which was extremely noticeable and made the game nauseating to play. Found a fix if anyone else has the same problem but go to windows settings and turn off Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling. Game runs smooth as butter now.

Soldato
I saw an interesting fault too the other week, a complete system power off with no notification... happened in Fallout4VR I don't know if its a power draw thing (I use 850w PSU), an overheating problem or some other hardware issue. The only thing I've changed recently is the Nvidia driver and playing FO4VR vs. DayZ and The Room VR.

I had that happen when playing Skyrim VR with the Ultimate VR Essentials mod on my Index with a 3090FE. I was running at 144hz in an interior though, so I think it probably was a power draw spike big enough to cause the PSU to cut out. (750w Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow), plus I'd forgotten select my lower power afterburner profile that I normally use in VR to keep the temps and fan noise under control, as it's only VR which really stresses out the card.

Back
Top Bottom