Bought a house, filthy stuff left in loft

Associate
Wow that's like a tiny corners worth of my loft. I've got crt monitors....pc cases/parts....old vhs vid players.....clothing & toys from when my 20+ year old kids were tiny.....everything put up there in case I'll use them in the future! My daughter on the other hand has bats living in her loft so it could be worse! Good luck getting it sorted.

Soldato
The previous owners/tenants should have cleared the loft, but you will probably get nowhere in forcing the issue.

Be careful skipping it all though, don't you have to make it available for them to collect? Or get an email/letter etc saying they don't want the stuff. You don't want a bill for the stuff you have got rid of - and maybe them claiming you skipped a very rare item worth £££'s which they were intending to come back and collect.

Then look at selling anything worth of value or skip the lot.

We bought our first place off my in-laws, both the loft and garage was full of stuff!! Took me a day or 2 to skip it all. It was also the house that Jack built what with all the FiL's DIY - but that's another story :mad:

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys. Trying to get my girlfriend to take it less personally which is making it hard to think about this more logically. Like I said above it's more the fact that everything left up there (besides the bags I've shown) is so unbelievably grimy it means traipsing it through the house, getting covered myself, then having to re-clean. And all that in the short amount of time before we move. Etc.

Is that the right photo? Once the cardboard's recycled, it's not much just a few bags. Looks pretty clean too. Zero point in following up with vendor, it's trivial to get shot of if no use to you.
There's the desk chair, another chair I found earlier, speakers stands, an empty trunk, two big picture frames, other cardboard boxes.

Just leave it up there and deal with it when you re-roof the place which you inevitably will if it's an original pointed up, un-felted/un-breather membrane 100 year old rosemary tiled roof.
We had a loft conversion company round and she told us any company would charge to us to clear the loft when it came to it. She seemed quite annoyed by stuff left up there (on our behalf) but I think she was probably trying to get us on-side!

Wow that's like a tiny corners worth of my loft. I've got crt monitors....pc cases/parts....old vhs vid players.....clothing & toys from when my 20+ year old kids were tiny.....everything put up there in case I'll use them in the future! My daughter on the other hand has bats living in her loft so it could be worse! Good luck getting it sorted.
Heh, well it's not a competition but the point is if you sold your house you'd be contractually obliged to clear it all.

Be careful skipping it all though, don't you have to make it available for them to collect? Or get an email/letter etc saying they don't want the stuff. You don't want a bill for the stuff you have got rid of - and maybe them claiming you skipped a very rare item worth £££'s which they were intending to come back and collect.
Good point thank you, although I'm not sure they could possibly lay claim to any of it now we own the house? :confused: We set the seller's agent on the case but as expected he was fairly useless. I have a poorly written Whatsapp saying basically saying the landlords and tenants don't want the items and we can get rid. Maybe should get an email as well to be safe.

Permabanned
Everything has to me mentioned in the contents document or you can bill the seller.
Mind you, sometimes owners are sneaky. I remember buying a house once were the document detailed "some firewood" in the shed. The shed was floor to ceiling in broken pallets. There was enough to fill two skips, lol, but it was covered by the "some firewood" statement, haha.

Soldato
Lol, another Scam buying a house thread delivers.

Edit: tell your GF not to worry, after all, you own 70% of that mess. She only needs to get rid of a bag and a box and she's quids in.

Soldato
OP
Lol, another Scam buying a house thread delivers.

Edit: tell your GF not to worry, after all, you own 70% of that mess. She only needs to get rid of a bag and a box and she's quids in.
I'm glad I can provide some entertainment for you. As opposed to trolling people and making incorrect assumptions about people, I actually use these forums for some benefit. Which is getting external opinions on random stuff like this. Believe it or not it's a good base for common sense, especially when people have been through similar situations like this and can provide some grounding. But whatever :o

Somehow doubt the OP would be moaning if they found something valuable up there.
Depends how valuable, obviously. A Van Gogh worth £10m? Yeah maybe. I don't have the time nor inclination to eBay other people's crap for the sake of £100 or so. Especially not whilst I'm moving house.

Associate
Heh, well it's not a competition but the point is if you sold your house you'd be contractually obliged to clear it all.

Was only being tongue in cheek...& about the masses gained in our loft over the years. Though have to admit I didn't know about those obligations...you learn something new every day..I just hope I die before I ever have to sell my house & empty my loft lol :)

Soldato
OP
Was only being tongue in cheek...& about the masses gained in our loft over the years. Though have to admit I didn't know about those obligations...you learn something new every day..I just hope I die before I ever have to sell my house & empty my loft lol :)
Maybe the best thing about converting our loft is that I won't have the storage to hoard. My girlfriend is always telling me it clearly runs in my family and loves to point out how much **** my mum has in her garage and loft! :p

Soldato
Surely a loft conversion is going to be £40+k (probably more?). In the grand scheme of things, this sounds annoying but pay £200+ for man with van to remove.

May even be less.

Soldato
OP
May even be less.
It's all relative. Why should I pay for something that the sellers were contractually obliged to do? I've already paid them enough money. It's a matter of principle really. That said, we'll be having a go at it tomorrow (I've pursuaded s mate to help). Just want to get it done so that we have time to clean again afterwards. Opinion on here seems to suggest that we'd get nowhere trying to charge them, go through the solicitors etc and I respect that.

Soldato
It's all relative. Why should I pay for something that the sellers were contractually obliged to do? I've already paid them enough money. It's a matter of principle really. That said, we'll be having a go at it tomorrow (I've pursuaded s mate to help). Just want to get it done so that we have time to clean again afterwards. Opinion on here seems to suggest that we'd get nowhere trying to charge them, go through the solicitors etc and I respect that.

I agree it shouldn't happen, just its impractical to recover the cost.

Soldato
does it have to be clear before whoever's doing the loft conversion will start work? they'll prob just get rid of the juink for you along with whatever other waste there is from the job

Associate
That's pretty tame compared to the filthy greasy old hob, yes hob! that was found in a friend's loft along with some other filthy stuff that should have been skipped.
That beats the fully assembled wardrobe i found in my loft that the previous owners left behind, fortunately devoid of clothes.

Soldato
OP
does it have to be clear before whoever's doing the loft conversion will start work? they'll prob just get rid of the juink for you along with whatever other waste there is from the job
One of the firms that came round to quote told us most companies would probably charge you to clear it first. It'll be taking up skip space etc. don't forget. So it's a case of pay for that removal now, or when the work starts.

The woman we bought our house from did this.

Well, actually she didn't. Cheeky cow turned up half way through us unpacking and asked for it back as she'd accidentally left it in the fridge :mad:
That is hilarious! The cheek of her coming back for it - did she not realise that it looked like a present? :eek: I'd have told her to get lost, and it's yours now :D

Anyhoo, the good news is we got most of the stuff out of the loft barring a big trunk that for some reason my girlfriend wasn't happy to catch :)p). Just need to decide how/who to pay to get rid. Not that we have a car, but it sounds like the local tip is a warzone at the moment, local FB groups saying you need to book months in advance and it's chaos etc. so that's probably a no-go. Oh well, slightly less stressed now it's all out. At least we can dump it in the garden and clean properly before we move in.

Back
Top Bottom