Transgender MTF picked for Olympics weightlifting

Soldato
Woman is a sexed term. We need to have words - and have had words since the earliest recorded language - for the two sexes that can only describe one or the other. For legal reasons (e.g. prevention of sex-based oppression), medical reasons (e.g. there are profoundly significant sex differences in the therapeutic power of drugs and their side effects) and a host of others.

If your definition of woman is ‘anyone that feels like a woman’ that’s a circular definition fallacy - you can’t define a word using the same word otherwise it’s a meaningless statement. Similarly if your definition of a woman is some sort of sex-role stereotype or ‘someone with a ladybrain’ that’s not a definition either. If you want to start playing games like ‘what do you mean by define? What does it mean to define?’ then you might as well just give up on language as a means of communication.

Soldato
As stated in the video posted previously that scientist/doctor arrested the are at least 6,500 genetic or biological differences known about between male and female. Some are insignificant, others are profound in their magnitude.

Even a young boy put on puberty blockers has a noticable strength/speed advantage over an adult female.

Soldato
I have some direct experience with this I think I mentioned here before. Not weight lifting, but racquet sport.

Used to be a semi competent badminton player back in the late 90s, early naughties. I once got to play an exhibition set against the female world nr2 (at the time, she became world nr1 a few months later) as a promotional thing at my club of sorts. Let's say I was England top 100 male at the time. Basically a very good club player, dipping my toes in national competitions from time to time.

I thought I was in for a battle but watching her warm up on court, I could immediately see she had no power. Like, within 5 shots. She had speed but not enough. Her shot selection and skill was out of this world, technically brilliant - but slow. So so slow. And so weak. To the untrained eye there is no difference between the male and female game. But believe me, it's galaxies apart. Like many many galaxies apart :p

Anyway, the match itself was a wipe out. She tricked me relentlessly but my speed nullified that advantage. When I attacked, it was point over, 100% of the time. Literally a 100% of the time. I simply overpowered her. But technically, I acknowledge she was at least x5 better than me. If not more.

Would she have beaten an occasional male player? Without a doubt. But the moment she ran into a male player that's a cut above average - lights out.

No imagine a national level male player or Olympic standard male player pretending he's a female. It'll be throwing a hungry lion into a hen house with all the hens blind and tied up. That's the difference in racquet sports between males and females.

Edit.

I will say this though. Female badminton players can cut angles and play deceptively in a way that I've seen very few men do. Especially at international level. And especially in mix doubles where the opposing male player would always seek to isolate the opposing female player. So the females 'evolved?' to develop shots to get out of that situation. My doubles coach used to make us watch the female players in mixed doubles situations and encourage us to incorporate all their shots into our repertoire and made us practice those relentlessly.

But in a 1 v 1 situation, male v female. Both highly skilled players. No chance, no way, not ever. The male wins every single time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There was a much hyped exhibition match in tennis some decades ago. Male world champion against female world champions. Numbers 1 and 2 female tennis players. Straight match, standard rules, like for like. He didn't play them 1 vs 2 - he played one after the other in seperate matches. He beat the number 1 ranked woman and was then beaten by the number 2 ranked woman.

What's rather less hyped is that he wasn't the world champion. He had been a world champion decades earlier, but at the time of the match he was pushing 60 and hadn't competed for over 20 years. Or trained seriously. He lost the second match because she'd watched him play, deduced (correctly) that she spanked him in fitness and adapted her play to force a higher emphasis on fitness in the game.

But genuinely like for like is a ludicrous mismatch. I doubt if the best female tennis player in the world would be able to make the top 500 tennis players. She might well be as skilled as the best male tennis player in the world, but if physicality is a factor in a sport then the mismatch in sexes at the top end will be extreme. Weightlifting is probably the most extreme example of that - the top men will be beating the women's world records with their warmup weights.

Associate
not sure if srs? lol
Yes mate, Im serious, she can identify as whatever she wants, what she cannot do is compete against a bunch of other people who havent had ten + years of ball enchanced training. It also sidesteps all the difficulties of gender questions etc by simply framing it in a currently accepted norm. On gear = cant compete in the olympics.

Soldato
"he has a degree" will be something that everyone will roll their eyes to you

His education doesn't seem to have put the discussion to bed, we need somebody with even more authority. I also have a degree, but in addition to that I tell people that I have a 13 inch penis, and on my instagram I have a picture of myself laying across a Bugatti Veyron which you won't be able to prove isn't mine. As you can see it would appear that I'm very smart, successful and popular, as such I'm happy to weigh in on any disputes that may need solving. You're welcome World.

Man of Honour
Woman is a sexed term. We need to have words - and have had words since the earliest recorded language - for the two sexes that can only describe one or the other. For legal reasons (e.g. prevention of sex-based oppression), medical reasons (e.g. there are profoundly significant sex differences in the therapeutic power of drugs and their side effects) and a host of others.

If your definition of woman is ‘anyone that feels like a woman’ that’s a circular definition fallacy - you can’t define a word using the same word otherwise it’s a meaningless statement. Similarly if your definition of a woman is some sort of sex-role stereotype or ‘someone with a ladybrain’ that’s not a definition either. If you want to start playing games like ‘what do you mean by define? What does it mean to define?’ then you might as well just give up on language as a means of communication.
Don’t we easily get around this by just using ‘male’ and ‘female’ when referring to biological sex?

Soldato
Don’t we easily get around this by just using ‘male’ and ‘female’ when referring to biological sex?

Yes and an adult female is a woman, an adult male is a man and the corresponding terms for children are girl and boy.

Gender is, or at least should be, restricted to the ideas of being and feminine/masculine.

Hence a person can be a rather feminine man or a rather masculine woman. As gender is based on behaviour and societal norms (and in most, but not all, cases is strongly predicted by sex)

But a man can't become a woman and vice versa.

Soldato
His education doesn't seem to have put the discussion to bed, we need somebody with even more authority. I also have a degree, but in addition to that I tell people that I have a 13 inch penis, and on my instagram I have a picture of myself laying across a Bugatti Veyron which you won't be able to prove isn't mine. As you can see it would appear that I'm very smart, successful and popular, as such I'm happy to weigh in on any disputes that may need solving. You're welcome World.

Loads of micky mouse degrees around now. Like "gender studdies" :D

AKA, don't hire this person if you see it on a CV.

Man of Honour
Yes and an adult female is a woman, an adult male is a man and the corresponding terms for children are girl and boy.

Gender is, or at least should be, restricted to the ideas of being and feminine/masculine.

Hence a person can be a rather feminine man or a rather masculine woman. As gender is based on behaviour and societal norms (and in most, but not all, cases is strongly predicted by sex)

But a man can't become a woman and vice versa.
So long as male and female continue to be used correctly and retain their distinction between the two, I don’t think there is merit in anyone (not you, just generally) being aggressively dogmatic about what words mean what, either way.

Caporegime
Do you have an autobiography that I could read? I would very much like to bask in some of your reflected glory, and maybe pick up a life tip or two. Also, do you own a Gucci belt?

Soldato
Loads of micky mouse degrees around now. Like "gender studdies" :D

AKA, don't hire this person if you see it on a CV.

I know, these days with all of the ridiculous degrees my 2:1 in English literature and creative writing from one of the top 10 institutions in East Yorkshire makes me quite the desirable asset.

Do you have an autobiography that I could read? I would very much like to bask in some of your reflected glory, and maybe pick up a life tip or two. Also, do you own a Gucci belt?

Many Gucci belts, the finish on the buckle erodes when you touch it but that's just a sign of the quality, it's so good I will rub off on you!

No autobiography but you can sign up to my life guru YouTube channel for £149 a month.

Permabanned
I keep having flashbacks to the BT advert starring Maureen Lipman where she fetes the academic achievements of a young person, saying they have done well getting "an ology" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGIxD1rdjo

It also reminds me of my wife finding out a friend of mine had a title (just a baron). She said to him, "I didn't realise you had a title". He replied "A gentleman does not use such things to impress friends, just pretty floosies" ;)

Soldato
I'm just imagining explaining to my dear old mum that because that guy thinks he's a woman we all have to humour him to the point of letting him compete against women. Then I'll explain to her that he's not mental, he is in fact stunning and brave, and there are laws against what she just said.

Back
Top Bottom