*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
God knows whats under the hood but it obviously looks different, the leak is missing the search bar in the start menu though, it has the lovely tiling options and animations, to be quite honest I'd probably just wait until its final unless you just must have a play with it like me :). I can't say where I got it.

Associate
From what I've found, a known competitor has them on pre-order.

Yep same place I bought mine
May not even have to update a bios as a lot have it built in.

Example: My asus strix z390-f showed on the compatibility app as not having TPM enabled. So i checked TPM.msc to see what it said and it said it was disabled under firmware/bios.

So off I popped to my user manual and found the TPM setting under pch-fw config, changed the setting from discreet to firmware TPM, restarted and boom - w11 is now compatible.

Have seen similar with Gigabyte etc so worth checking your manual and bios - however I wouldnt leave it on till you want to upgrade to w11.

a lot of mobos will have it, its just the checker wont see it even as an option if at a bios level its disabled or set to discrete. As I said, check your manual and see whats it called. Some are called "trusted computing" as an example.

Worth a check before discounting your current hardware or waiting on a bios flash

Nice good to know, I assumed my Bios would default to firmware and not discreet and that it wouldn't work as firmware, but seems it will if I change it to firmware in bios even with a TPM chip on the way. I couldn't readily just stop to check bios at the time myself as I'm working on this machine.

Now I know I can do it both ways, anyone have a preference, software TPM or using an official chip?

Soldato
So enabled TPM and Secure Boot in BIOS...so thats all good, but weirdly Windows' Health Check thinks my PC was shop bought and that I should ask the manufacture...and the other downloaded health check people are using here is all green bar my RAM where it thinks I have none...

Randoms...

Associate
Yep same place I bought mine

Now I know I can do it both ways, anyone have a preference, software TPM or using an official chip?

The advantage of a dTPM is that the keys should persist after a BIOS update or CMOS clear. With the fTPM the keys would be lost and you have to reinitialise the fTPM. Personally I’ll get a dTPM just for convenience.

Soldato
The advantage of a dTPM is that the keys should persist after a BIOS update or CMOS clear. With the fTPM the keys would be lost and you have to reinitialise the fTPM. Personally I’ll get a dTPM just for convenience.

That's only if you actually use it though right? If I never use Bitlocker etc then losing the keys every time I flash the BIOS doesn't matter I hope?

Associate
That's only if you actually use it though right? If I never use Bitlocker etc then losing the keys every time I flash the BIOS doesn't matter I hope?

In all honesty I don't know what other impact clearing the TPM would have, Bitlocker and the encryption/decryption keys is one part, but the TPM can be used to store other information which could be used for code integrity.

Permabanned
No signed up but here:

Screenshot-2021-06-26-225701.png

Back
Top Bottom