• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Permabanned
But it is not the same you compare the 1080p 50% shading with native 4k, you need to compare it with 1080p like you compared the DLSS perf.
https://imgsli.com/NTkxNzQ
click on the little test boxes, you can change the pictures

you can compare any 2 of these presets between each other

for taa; i dont think they didn't implement in on pc because of dlss. its the way how developers operate. they will never give quality upscalers to pc users. only nvidia did, and they charge a huge premium price for it... take ac:valhalla and re:village from recent years, they have no business with dlss, yet they have superior temporal upscalers on consoles compared to PC

if they gave a good upscaler, that would mean practically all 580/1060/1070 users would abuse it and would never upgrade their GPUs. if series s gave poo quality on valhalla while rendering at 720p, i'm pretty sure most of the people would be furious.

Zrfp43M.jpg

fsr is good and all but my 1060 friend is pretty disappointed with it. FSR only really works good at 4k and somewhat good at 1440p and straight up useless at 1080p for gpus like rx 580/1060 where they started to really struggle with new titles

as i've said on previous arguments, upgrading is not an even an option here. otherwise, most oof my friends would've already upgraded. they're literally stuck with their GPUs and supposedly amd now "gifts" them a stupid upscaler that does not do any kind of actual work at 1080p. sorry but this is the truth. if they gave these gamers the special upscalers that series s/ps4/xbox one uses when they drop below 1080p, they would be delighted. then they would never let go their cards. then that would be bad for business..

Last edited:
Soldato
What NVIDIA said quite a few times in their marketing that the main advantage of RTX is "it just works". They did not mean by that it's going to be SO MUCH better, but that it will make devs lives easier - ergo, it will lower production cost. Has it, really, though? I do not believe so. For once, GPUs that can use RT are still a minuscule part of the gaming market and implementing good RT (as you said, with proper art direction, design etc.) cost money, as they still need to provide older rendering (prebaked) for all other GPUs anyway. Effectively, they are doing double the work (so cost is much higher). Hence, unless NVIDIA want to do it themselves (send engineers to implement it) or sponsor the game (pay for it), most devs still aren't really that interested in RTX. Then, in case of new consoles it's a huge market and actually worth implementing tech that work on them. In effect, we will most likely get mostly console titles with RT, which will work very well both on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. DXR, not RTX. We might also see very similar thing with FSR vs DLSS - the former is pretty much free to implement (takes almost no time and works on everything), the latter works on tiny number of GPUs and is much more costly (time-consuming) to implement.
It can make devs lives easier, due to not having to bake stuff. But the lack of performance means that we are far away from that happening.

Also, I wasn't just referring to ray tracing but also other extra graphical effects, which could also be pushed further now because of fsr/dlss.
Like? If you ignore RT benchmarks, most games are well over 60fps, so unless devs were planning on really cranking effects up, fsr and dlss don't matter. Then there is the argument that some of those more subtle effects will just get washed out when using DLSS/FSR, therefore making it pointless.

"pretty reflections".... yes because that is all ray tracing is for, right :rolleyes:
No but it is the one that most people can easly spot and seems to generate the most buzz (you know the whole chrome everywhere thing that people have been talking about exists for a reason). The other benefits tend be more subtle than shiny reflection and some of the benefits ironically can easily be missed when playing games rather than pixel peeping. for example light bounce from emission surfaces.

Associate
click on the little test boxes, you can change the pictures

you can compare any 2 of these presets between each other

for taa; i dont think they didn't implement in on pc because of dlss. its the way how developers operate. they will never give quality upscalers to pc users. only nvidia did, and they charge a huge premium price for it... take ac:valhalla and re:village from recent years, they have no business with dlss, yet they have superior temporal upscalers on consoles compared to PC

if they gave a good upscaler, that would mean practically all 580/1060/1070 users would abuse it and would never upgrade their GPUs. if series s gave poo quality on valhalla while rendering at 720p, i'm pretty sure most of the people would be furious.

Zrfp43M.jpg
I noticed now, DLSS perf is still better in many instances and it has better FPS but as i said this shading thing is not working as TAAU would so idk how good DLSS would be in reconstruction compared with full TAAU.
And this is the problem with sponsored games, if RE Village developers are interested in making money from PC gamers then they should give the PC gamers the best features they can so that the games are bought by the 580/1060/1070 users too. Instead they take some money from AMD and Nvidia and then if they manage to find enough fools on PC to pay for a tech demo, that's good, if not that is also good.

Permabanned
I noticed now, DLSS perf is still better in many instances and it has better FPS but as i said this shading thing is not working as TAAU would so idk how good DLSS would be in reconstruction compared with full TAAU.
And this is the problem with sponsored games, if RE Village developers are interested in making money from PC gamers then they should give the PC gamers the best features they can so that the games are bought by the 580/1060/1070 users too. Instead they take some money from AMD and Nvidia and then if they manage to find enough fools on PC to pay for a tech demo, that's good, if not that is also good.
well... you made a good point now. FSR is coming to RE:Village, so if it had their special checkerboarding and if it produced better IQ than FSR, that would be bad PR for AMD...

now we're onto something... wow. your point may actually be valid, now that i think of it...

that would mean FSR for re:village will never come to consoles. if that does not happen, we can perfectly say that builtin checkerboarding they use for their console versions are superior than FSR... if it comes to console version, then the reviewers will battle them out. we shall see who wins then? i will be anxiously waiting for that now

Associate
well... you made a good point now. FSR is coming to RE:Village, so if it had their special checkerboarding and if it produced better IQ than FSR, that would be bad PR for AMD...

now we're onto something... wow. your point may actually be valid, now that i think of it...

that would mean FSR for re:village will never come to consoles. if that does not happen, we can perfectly say that builtin checkerboarding they use for their console versions are superior than FSR... if it comes to console version, then the reviewers will battle them out. we shall see who wins then? i will be anxiously waiting for that now
On consoles it is understandable to have less features because you don't have different hardware. If FSR or anything else can't get you 60FPS with a decent quality, there is no reason to add it. But also there is no reason to not add DLSS on PC for example in AMD sponsored games. There is already an important number of people with RTX cards and many of them would benefit from adding DLSS. If you want to make money with your game, you put these features inside the game to make it attractive to as many people as you can. The only reason you are not doing it is because you have a contract with AMD.
Same for all games sponsored by AMD and Nvidia. They both use the same dirty tactics. There are a lot of people who will love to have FSR in many Nvidia sponsored games but it will probably not be added at least for a while.

Soldato
Really the worst thing about these sponsored games is that they become tech demos, they are made to run as good as it can be on the sponsor hardware and as bad as it can be on the opponent hardware. And it is the same for AMD the only difference is that they sponsor much worse games so no one gets to complain about not having DLSS in Godfall or whatever. :)
At least Sony and MS are more honest they have their own studios and the hardware is different so you can't play tricks against your opponent by sponsoring games.

AMD has sponsored quite a few AAA games though. AC Valhalla, Dirt 5, FC6, etc.
They tend not to spend too much money on sponsoring games since most of their tech is open source via GPU Open. It's pointless wasting money when the sponsored game will work just fine on any gpu. Nvidia does it to put their proprietary features in which is designed to sell their latest gpu's hence why you see underhand tactics like removing TAAU upscaling from games when DLSS is added.

Soldato
On consoles it is understandable to have less features because you don't have different hardware. If FSR or anything else can't get you 60FPS with a decent quality, there is no reason to add it. But also there is no reason to not add DLSS on PC for example in AMD sponsored games. There is already an important number of people with RTX cards and many of them would benefit from adding DLSS. If you want to make money with your game, you put these features inside the game to make it attractive to as many people as you can. The only reason you are not doing it is because you have a contract with AMD.
Same for all games sponsored by AMD and Nvidia. They both use the same dirty tactics. There are a lot of people who will love to have FSR in many Nvidia sponsored games but it will probably not be added at least for a while.

A bit if an exaggeration methinks. The reality is that DLSS takes a fair amount of development to integrate which is why it is not available in a huge number of games. Nothing stops the countless non-AMD partner games from including it yet we don't see developers clambering to add it.

FSR on the other hand is easy to work with since its open source so expect many games to include it in when the source is available. There should be no real reason why devs can't implement FSR within a day.

Last edited:
Associate
Imagine AMD having the budget to pay devs to not implement DLSS :p

As if it would happen if only AMD stopped bribing them.
If they make a contract that they will have exclusive features inside the game for half a year or two years, why not? What is the reason for Godfall not having RT for Nvidia on day one? I think that is the case also with a lot of Nvidia sponsored games...it is true that Nvidia exclusive features are also more harmful for the AMD cards.

Associate
Someone on Reddit said FSR already works on Ghostrunner but it is somehow buggy on the demo ( it limits FPS ). Still anyone who said AMD is stopping DLSS games from adding FSR and wants to compare his great DLSS with the poor FSR can do that now if it's true. :)

Permabanned
Someone on Reddit said FSR already works on Ghostrunner but it is somehow buggy on the demo ( it limits FPS ). Still anyone who said AMD is stopping DLSS games from adding FSR and wants to compare his great DLSS with the poor FSR can do that now if it's true. :)
lol this turned out be a massive troll/cap

its just fidelityfx upsampling (res scale + sharpening..)

Associate
Associate
Well I gotta give it to 4A, Metro Exodus EE with maxed out stuff is one hell of a looker game. I'm simply mesmerized by the graphics. Not going to lie...

And DLSS works crazy fine on this title, it makes the distances such a marvel to look at and there are no ghostings I can notice yet

1uFpZik.jpg

its just crazy how it rebuilds thin details in the distance...

dunno about fancy reflections but i'm all in for rt lighting

f1ruoC2.jpg
Gotta disagree with this. Expect for RT effects (which are great) the game doesn't look that good. I have completed Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition on Hardcore which just exposed its many flaws unrelated to graphics.

Soldato
OP
Metro Exodus is absolutely brilliant visually if you, like me, love realistic lighting and high contrast scenes - some of the locations in the game are just jaw dropping on an OLED

Soldato
OP
Dunno if active but the developer (@Perschistence) has an account on here so you can ask them what is going on.

I believe in ART-Mark when you turn off RT, it uses Planar Reflections - maybe Planar hits RDNA 2 harder than Ampere or something like that. Planar is definitely more expensive than SSR which is what most games use for reflections if they dont use RT

"planar reflections are very expensive because you have to duplicate the whole scene and render that from the reflective surface's point of view" - in Art-Mark there is tons of reflective surfaces in that one scene, so maybe Planar is compute heavy and we know Ampere is a good compute card, RDNA 2 is not.

Back
Top Bottom