Treadmill belt too abrasive

Permabanned
OP
I'm not denying that you need the thing to provide a certain level of grip for your shoes. I am just concerned that it is a bit too rough and is hence resulting in unnecessary wear on my shoes. Obviously if it was like a 60 grit belt sander it would provide great grip but would wear your shoes down like nobodies business. I just feel it is too abrasive that's all and want to see what options are available to help.

For the people who asked - I use vibrams five finger training shoes (most expensive shoes I have purchased in my life) as I am trying to rebuild my fallen arches. As for providing a coating to the shoe - what are the options? I like the idea of an adhesive I can daub on. Would a 2-part epoxy be a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Transmission breaker
Don
You are trying to fix the wrong thing.
If you are wearing your shoes out ultra quickly on the treadmill, you are running wrong.
Are you dragging your feet, or holding on to the sides of the mill?
Anything you attempt to apply to the shoes/belt is going to be a disaster.

Associate
Serious answer, you are either expecting too much from your shoes or you are running wrong.

Probably the latter which is likely to give you bigger problems than worn down shoes.

Caporegime
Serious answer, you are either expecting too much from your shoes or you are running wrong.

Probably the latter which is likely to give you bigger problems than worn down shoes.

Agreed, it sounds like a running form issue.

OP, can you post a photo of the bottom of your running shoes? What is the wear pattern like? Is it even, or is there more wear on the inside/outside, front/back?

Man of Honour
doing the Tor des Geants this year, 357km and 28,000m of climbing....

i like to run!

I recently read some stuff about a seriously extreme running event. It's called Big Dog Ultra, IIRC. It's a race...sort of. Competitors run laps of a ~4.5 mile cross country course, with a new lap starting at fixed intervals. Every hour, IIRC. The race continues until only 1 person is willing and able to continue. No breaks unless you finish a lap early. Really no breaks. You want to eat or drink? Do it while running or if you finish a lap early. You want to go to the toilet? Do it while running or if you finish a lap early. You want to sleep? No. The record is something like 75 hours, something like 300 miles. The prize is an army surplus dogtag. For the winner only. Everyone else...is not a winner.

Perhaps the strangest thing is that it's so popular that it's been franchised to other countries. Endurance runners are a bit weird.

EDIT: It's called Big Dog's Backyard Ultra and the record is 75 hours, 312 miles. The circuit is 4.16666 miles, for some reason.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/56720358

"Later on you need somebody to tell you what to do - eat this, drink this, go to the bathroom and don't forget to wipe your bum. It sounds stupid but certain parts of your brain stop functioning."

Last edited:
Caporegime
wasnt there one guy in the world who doesn't get tired because his body doesn't produce the acid that goes to your muscles.

Associate
wasnt there one guy in the world who doesn't get tired because his body doesn't produce the acid that goes to your muscles.

Do you mean Dean Karnazes? He does produce lactic acid but is seemingly almost superhuman in his ability to process it so it doesn't really build up if I recall correctly. Either way an incredible specimen of a human being

Caporegime
Do you mean Dean Karnazes? He does produce lactic acid but is seemingly almost superhuman in his ability to process it so it doesn't really build up if I recall correctly. Either way an incredible specimen of a human being

When you run at ultramarathon paces, lactic acid never builds up anyway. Even at a marathon pace you are well under the anaerobic threshold, which is between about 10k and half-marathon pace.

Dean says a lot of stuff that doesn't have any scientific basis. Rather, he just had good genetics for running and trained hard. All the best athletes in any physically-constrained sport have a combination of genetic traits that ensure they have the performance edge. A lot of the traits are actually related to rapid recovery, so the athletes can rain hard harder =, recovery quicker and get out the next day for another hard session.

Back
Top Bottom