• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...or-discussion.18901036/page-394#post-34848998

Least u took a pic of it in this thread, no sn but still its something u can use to compare somewhat if u get it back.

Cant you access their phone number via ebay or pp or ask for it and call em, be a quick way to talk it over with em and find out things as you can ask to check things on the phone and maybe even video call and get em to show u things like the psu and cabling etc.

Soldato
If its a scam you dont really want to talk to them or drive to see them could be anyone. There was a guy on here recently cant remember where said he went to see someone to sell a GPU took a mate with him just in case and met in a public car park when the buyer saw there was two of them he legged it as he was going to nick it off him and do a runner.

Associate
There is no consumer law for second handed cards, So he can suck his balls tbh.

Unfortunately eBay almost always sides with the buyer and if its inside the 10 day returns policy eBay is going to expect the OP to refund the purchase.

OP, Like others have said, either go and collect it or make sure you are there when its delivered and ask the delivery guy to watch/film you open it to make sure the buyer isn't pulling a scam with sending back a box with random stuff in.

EDIT: Just seen the above comment about being careful meeting up with them. Good advice too, it's a real poopshow I'm afraid and you'll have to hope you have your buyer is one of the good ones

Soldato
Could you contact the retailer where you bought the card and see if they record the serial number of the card with the sale?

I know some retailers do this.

Associate
Ebay review disputes by human if its over 500£ . If below 500£ its auto resolution to a buyer.

U have low chance of wining, best u can hope is the card comes back and u can RMA.

Associate
Ive been selling on eBay for 10 years plus, i can tell you no matter what you do to prove to eBay thats its a scam you will lose, eBay always sides with the seller if he oe she opens a case saying product doesnt match description etc. Its game over they will get a refund.

Associate
Alternative but extreme sollution is Close the bank account and open new on asap. Ebay will hit a brick wall with a charge back. If paypal then u out of luck as they send bailifs.

Associate
Ask for a picture of the card before they send it back with the date and username, if they can't provide one then you'll know they've already sold it on and to expect something else in return. This should help you if a human looks at the returns case.

Remember all correspondence through eBay can be looked at by whoever oversees the case. Try to be as helpful as you can and make it look like you're bending over backwards to help them, and whatever you do don't accuse them directly of anything. Any hostility towards the buyer will ensure you lose any case against you.

Soldato
This is what concerns me about ebay not so much the scam element but incompetent end users, If a person can make it to over 1000 posts on here without being banned for spamming I’ll happily trust them to handle my gpu!

Soldato
Yeah this is bad, already sounds scammy from the opening message, some "professional" involved, PC "blew up" and asking for a refund right off the bat.

Yeah those three things stuck out to me as a definite scam attempt.

For a start if your PC "blew up", i think you'd be looking for a lot more than just a refund of the GPU. Most genuine buyers would have requested troubleshooting assistance.

As someone else has said, for the sake of a 1k GPU, and the £40 in fuel to get there and back, i would insist on meeting up with the buyer and helping troubleshooting for them - and if the card is faulty and 'matches your logged serial number and security markers' then you'll happily take back the card and issue a refund.

Associate
Alternative but extreme sollution is Close the bank account and open new on asap. Ebay will hit a brick wall with a charge back. If paypal then u out of luck as they send bailifs.

Remove the numbers from your house. Will that work?

This sounds like a nightmare. You always hope you sell to someone with a respectable rating but you never know. Yeh wouldn't go round their place in case they really trying to scam hard. Might be a painful lesson learnt if OP has little evidence that the card he sent was in fully working order. Might have to take a hit.

Soldato
I got scammed on the MM , so its not always the case

You can get scammed by anyone. I returned some memory to Amazon which was sold by Corsair's official shop and they claimed I sent the wrong item. I couldn't do a thing to prove otherwise and essentially got scammed by Amazon or whoever received the memory. Lost memory and money.

Soldato
You can get scammed by anyone. I returned some memory to Amazon which was sold by Corsair's official shop and they claimed I sent the wrong item. I couldn't do a thing to prove otherwise and essentially got scammed by Amazon or whoever received the memory. Lost memory and money.

Yup - nearly got scammed by Amazon as well , till i gave them, their own tracking number for the return. Still denied they had the item back, even though it was signed by the amazon `back door` man on arrival (pre covid ofc) . Another time was a cancelled delivery, never even arrived , yet they refused to refund till i put in a mastercard dispute.

Soldato
If it blew up and he needs a professional to look at what component went, then how does he not know that the card isn't fine?
He said it blew up his PC. PSU could have done that and the card is fine.
Maybe he should have waited until a said professional came and installed the card for him.

Scam, with a borked identical model sent back. He'll have the working one - you got the duff one. Your turn to buy another one and pass it on. (not really).

Feedback - it needs to be in the hundreds and evidence of feedback as a seller. A buying only account - the buyer has nothing to lose on feedback - auction site always sides with the buyer.

Never sell anything of value or in demand on there.

In fact stay off it - you can't restrain yourself from buying when wasted! :D

Thanks for your honesty and sharing though.

Ask for the 'professionals' report.

You should have taken it to CEX

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom