Pc build spec advice

Associate
Morning all

looking at building my first ever pc. I’d only be playing football manager and using office for now and believe I can run this via the integrated graphics of the CPU. Toward the end of the year I’ll want to play the likes of forza horizon 5, call of duty etc and hope the graphics card prices will have returned somewhat to normal and I can purchase the GPU then.

Would love some advice on the spec below:

Motherboard ASUs tuf gaming B560 micro atx motherboard with Wi-fi

CPU I5 11-400

RAM Corsair vengeance Rgb pro SL 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM

GPU GeForce rtx 3060ti (to be purchased at a later date)

SSD 980 nvme m.2. Samsung 1tb pcie 3.0

CPU cooler cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition

Thermal paste

Case Corsair 4000x rgb

Power supply cooler master MWE white 600 230v

this spec would cost me £675 and then I’d await the GPU market to come back to some normality. If it hits RRP prices again the 3060ti would be 379 bringing the total to £1055.

thanks all

Soldato
I'd be tempted to spend a bit more on the psu for atleast a 650w gold rated unit the rest looks fine though, you could probably save some on the SSD by going with a WD SN550.

Associate
For SSD, I went with WD. For the same read/write speeds they were cheaper. 1TB WD SN750 is a great one to look at.
For gpu, best chance is to try and get an fe card(I did via downloading telegram, then subscribing to FE PartAlert). After 6 months and 1k posts you'll get access to Members Market where you can get components at better prices, though recently the sold to those that had 50+ posts
For Ram, 3600 isn't that much more expensive now, and in some cases can be cheaper

Associate
OP
For SSD, I went with WD. For the same read/write speeds they were cheaper. 1TB WD SN750 is a great one to look at.
For gpu, best chance is to try and get an fe card(I did via downloading telegram, then subscribing to FE PartAlert). After 6 months and 1k posts you'll get access to Members Market where you can get components at better prices, though recently the sold to those that had 50+ posts
For Ram, 3600 isn't that much more expensive now, and in some cases can be cheaper

thanks. I’m new to all this so much of the post has gone over my head sorry.

wonder when I’d be looking at for the market to return to some form of normality

Soldato
thanks. I’m new to all this so much of the post has gone over my head sorry.

wonder when I’d be looking at for the market to return to some form of normality
FE cards drop every week or 2 and sell at RRP etc but you need to set up telegram alerts though to have any chance of getting one.

Associate
OP
FE cards drop every week or 2 and sell at RRP etc but you need to set up telegram alerts though to have any chance of getting one.
Ok thanks. I’ll look into this a bit more over the next week or so. I’m not in a rush for the GPU as wouldn’t be playing games requiring it until November.

Soldato
RAM Corsair vengeance Rgb pro SL 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM

SSD 980 nvme m.2. Samsung 1tb pcie 3.0

CPU cooler cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition

Power supply cooler master MWE white 600 230v
For tighter budget RGB is waste of money in most things.
Non-RGB is £15 less.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...00c16-3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-20m-cr.html

That Samsung is brand overpriced for PCIe v3 drive without even DRAM.
Even its naming is fraudulent and should have been at most 975: Purpose is clearly to ride on reputation of PCIe v4 980 Pro.
Seagate Firecuda 510 (with DRAM) is whole £40 cheaper.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp1000gm3a011-hd-3dq-se.html

That Coolerhamster overhyped is also somewhat overpriced for its size.
And without any offset in fin stack its fan likely protrudes slightly over one DIMM slot in case you decide to add more memory.
For example cheaper Alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advanced has offset fin stack for perfect DIMM compatibility, besides higher quality base construction without gaps in between heatpipes.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html
(bundled TIMs are more than good enough)

While that Coolerhamster White is seriously outdated efficiency cheapo PSU with lots of Chinese components and short 3 year warranty.
For start quality Active-PFC PSU has input voltage range from like 115V to 240V and anything less tells about component downsizing to bare minimum.

Instead of paying big brand overprices in SSD that money should be put into quality PSU, which come with 7 to 10 year warranty.

Associate
I know you're said you plan to buy discreet graphics for gaming later, but bear in mind that if there's any chance you want to game at all before that, Intel iGPU's are very, very poor: if you want to use integrated graphics for any gaming at all (ever!!), then consider a B550 + Ryzen combo.... even the bottom of the range Ryzen 3 2000 series (from over 3 years ago) beats the iGPU on Intel's latest 2021 i9 - often double or more. Search on YouTube - Hardware Unboxed + Gamers Nexus have both done some great reviews on it.

Ryzen APU's (CPU with iGPU) were more or less stopped in retail channels after the Ryzen 5 3400G, but look out for Ryzen "Pro" 4000 series APU's - they weren't sold retail, but they were in office PC's and pre-builds, so there are a few on eBay - the Ryzen 7 4750G is comparable to a 9th/10th gen i7 in most CPU benchmarks (8 core 16 thread CPU) and will thrash any of those in graphics... or better still, if you can wait until August for the Ryzen 7 5700G, which will be even better as a CPU - with similar graphics (i.e. will also thrash any Intel iGPU).

They're also easier to build as there's less of a lottery with motherboards (any B550 should run well out the box) and they'll run fine with the supplied CPU cooler (if you buy a retail one) or with a budget cooler if you have to buy one - plenty of Wraith Prisms/Spires going VERY cheap and they're good coolers - I was even able to overclock on mine!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom