Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
Unless the spread of the new rapidly mutating versions of potentially vaccine resistant COVID-19 forces the Government to enter yet more lockdowns and introduce Tier Eleventy-Billion :D

I'd love to be able to see this on the big screen so what I hope is that, once everything returns to some kind of normal, distributers will re-introduce those big blockbuster films which are given very limited viewing right now, back into what ever cinemas survive at a later date.

If it came to it I'd find someone with a decent home theatre set-up willing to host me and sneak a visit!

Soldato
Pretty sure its still up in the air if it will actually be streamed now. Legendary have serious issues with it and maybe making a legal case.

Can't imagine it will come out until that's been resolved and if it does probably will be late 2021 as they still want it in the cinema.

Soldato
This is one that needs to be seen on the big screen surely?

I have never seen the David Lynch version so when I was flicking through Amazon Prime Video and saw it there, I though I’d give it a watch. I stopped after about 20 or so mins as I thought it was terrible.

Soldato

I have never seen the David Lynch version so when I was flicking through Amazon Prime Video and saw it there, I though I’d give it a watch. I stopped after about 20 or so mins as I thought it was terrible.

There's a good reason for that - it is terrible. I've never known why so many people seem like it, although I suspect that it's more to do with it being Dune than it being a good movie. It does have a great cast though.

Soldato

There's a good reason for that - it is terrible. I've never known why so many people seem like it, although I suspect that it's more to do with it being Dune than it being a good movie. It does have a great cast though.

I love (some of) the aesthetic of the Lynch one but the film itself is... not good.

The film has some very good things, and some very flawed things. Some of the effects have dated very badly. But the basic story, great actors, most of the aesthetic, the music, etc is still great. It has atmosphere, heart, and a soul that so many glossy Hollywood films of today are lacking.

It has that same feel about it of movies of that era, such as Flash Gordon, where there are still a lot of practical effects, and CGI hadn't yet got up to speed to give us green-screen everything. As an attempt at Dune, it's a valiant effort, but misses the mark enough that it can't be considered a success when looking back at it now.

Soldato
My biggest problem with it is that they turn Paul into the standard hero’s journey character when the entire point of the book is ‘beware of charismatic leaders’ and the galactic bloodbath that follows his victory makes him no better than those he usurped. He sets the wheels in motion and then is able to see where the train is headed but is powerless to stop it.

Soldato
My biggest problem with it is that they turn Paul into the standard hero’s journey character when the entire point of the book is ‘beware of charismatic leaders’ and the galactic bloodbath that follows his victory makes him no better than those he usurped. He sets the wheels in motion and then is able to see where the train is headed but is powerless to stop it.

I think that's the limitation of the Lynch film being only the first book. It only goes to Paul's subjugation of Arakkis, victory over the Emperor and control of the Empire via his control of Spice. The two Sy-Fy mini-series explore Paul's (and later Leto II's) prescient destinies, and Alia's genetic memories far better than the Lynch's film.

It's just the nature of simplifying a deep and complicated book into a single movie. You end up with something that is shallow compared to the depth of the source.

Soldato
When asked to describe Dune, Bautista grows audibly excited:

The world that he’s created is so far over my head. It’s so beautiful and different, and a lot of times dark and strange. But it’s something I never could have imagined. I just don’t have that mind. When I think about things, and when I think about directing, it’s all very contained, based on simple stories, a lot of times very simple and inspiring stories. And for someone to see something and create a world this big, a galaxy, a universe this big, it’s something that doesn’t comprehend, doesn’t compute in my brain. But it’s weird that he can do both. [Denis Villeneuve] can create these huge epic worlds and scenes, but at the same time just focus on the most simple things about a performance. He’s just a special guy, he’s got a special focus, and man, he’s a brilliant storyteller.

Dune
is special. I think people are going to be blown away. It’s going to be one of the most beautiful films that people have ever seen. But I think that people who are just diehard fans of Dune, of the novels, they’re going to be blown away. Because they don’t have anything, really, to reference in relation to the books. Now they will. They’ll have that visual reference. He took these characters, he took this world, and he’s taken them off the page and put them on screen. It’s epic.

Soldato
I'm latterly chomping at the bit for this. Finally some high quality sci-fi.

All signs are good. Leaked info on screen testing. It's good!!!! Very good!!!

Has a diverse cast but haven't seen any virtue signalling. I'm sure it might pop up at some stage but peeps seem to busy fighting over sup films. I believe there was a little at the start.

I really hope this is the epic adventure we all need.

Soldato
I hope its a 3 hr epic, long yes but if the quality is there and the pacing is good then i dont think it matters, like lotr for example.

Never understood why people are afraid of long films. If a film is only 83mins normally it's not worth my time to watch it.

If it's 1:40-2 hours, then I know I have decent amount of entertainment for the evening. Over 2 hours then I prep properly to watch it.

Soldato
Never understood why people are afraid of long films. If a film is only 83mins normally it's not worth my time to watch it.

If it's 1:40-2 hours, then I know I have decent amount of entertainment for the evening. Over 2 hours then I prep properly to watch it.
A lot of films these days are bloated and are self indulgent. The Hobbit for example.

Getting a film these days with a tight script with very little wasted screen time is rare.

Soldato
A lot of films these days are bloated and are self indulgent. The Hobbit for example.

Getting a film these days with a tight script with very little wasted screen time is rare.

I think the Justice League Snyder Cut went against that personally, a 4 hour film can be compelling and entertaining with little wasted screen time.

Soldato
I think the Justice League Snyder Cut went against that personally, a 4 hour film can be compelling and entertaining with little wasted screen time.
Just a shame that Justice League wasn’t that film either :cry::p

Looking forward to it when it is finally released. I do enjoy his films :)

Back
Top Bottom