• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU panic selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The year is 2022. Smokey26 finally gets a 3080 for £650. Meanwhile, others have used such GPU's since September 2020 and have had the best PC gaming experience during the long lockdown months :p Several weeks later, the 4080 launches, heralding a new era of performance.

So be it. I aint paying 1500quid for a GPU.

Soldato
So be it. I aint paying 1500quid for a GPU.

Neither am I. Here's my timeline:

November 2020: Bought MSI 3080 Gaming X, £830 in local shop (physical store)
June 2021: Sold 3080 for £1350. I just set it to bids on a popular auction site, the market dicated it's price.
June 2021: Bought 3090 FE for £1399

During the months I owned the 3080 (November 2020 - June 2021) I mined roughly £1200 (profit, after electricity) on the card. Was mining whenever I wasn't using it for gaming, so not quite 24/7. It also saved me a bunch over winter on my heating, as I didn't need to use as much central heating.

Not mining on the 3090FE, as it's summer time, plus profitability mining has now dropped to where it's no longer worth it for me.

Permabanned
Neither am I. Here's my timeline:

November 2020: Bought MSI 3080 Gaming X, £830 in local shop (physical store)
June 2021: Sold 3080 for £1350. I just set it to bids on a popular auction site, the market dicated it's price.
June 2021: Bought 3090 FE for £1399

During the months I owned the 3080 (November 2020 - June 2021) I mined roughly £1200 (profit, after electricity) on the card. Was mining whenever I wasn't using it for gaming, so not quite 24/7. It also saved me a bunch over winter on my heating, as I didn't need to use as much central heating.

Not mining on the 3090FE, as it's summer time, plus profitability mining has now dropped to where it's no longer worth it for me.

A liar, a miner and a scalper, then he wonders why GPUs are so expensive.

Soldato
Seems like my prediction for around November for close to msrp prices and normality returning to the gpu market might be accurate. Brand new 3070s used to be sold for 1300 euro on second hand sites. Now theyre going for about 1000, plus 900 and 1000 series gpus are more abundant now.

Stock is increasing and prices are dropping. Let the good times roll.

New 3070s are going for a lot less than that - one went the other day for £774.99 delivered (£760 + del). There's also buy-it-now's for £800 ish but that have make an offer buttons.

I'd never pay more than £600 for a 3070 though so a long way to go yet for me.

Associate
To any one that is interested We have a following to the GIGABYTE RTX 30x0 repair video. It is dead at the moment.
Watch out for GIGABYTE RTX 30 cards on second hand market - they have a factory flaw...

Soldato

Just a gamer with a brain :) Why let a card sit idle when sleeping, instead mine and get profit (at least during cold months and when mining was quiet profitable, now it's not worth it in Summer heat and with lower rewards).

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Just a gamer with a brain :) Why let a card sit idle when sleeping, instead mine and get profit (at least during cold months and when mining was quiet profitable, now it's not worth it in Summer heat and with lower rewards).

Not all of us want to mine, some of us don't agree with it so won't do it on principles.

Soldato

How is that scalping?
To me, scalping is buying many cards at MSRP and deliberately selling each of them on at the highest rate you can leverage.
Scalping isn't owning a card, using it, then auctioning it off for people to decide for themselves what they want to voluntarily offer. That to me is just making the most of your own situation.

I'd sell my 3060 Ti to fund a 3080 if I could, since the 3080 was what I originally wanted but couldn't get hold of due to scalpers.

I understand the subtle differences in my definitions and I am fully expecting this to be picked apart :p

Soldato

It won't count for much but I don't think you've done anything wrong. I set my PC to mine overnight once but never went back to it after that, based on my own laziness really and not researching it.

I am not pro or against mining I just think it's something that people are picking on due to the current stock situation.

Soldato
I am not pro or against mining I just think it's something that people are picking on due to the current stock situation.

it was fuelled by the pictures of 20/30/50/100 cards all mining being looked at by people who cant get 1 card at a decent price. So you could say miners created the image themselves.
Its not the main cause but mining didnt help the situation it made a bad situation worse.

The people who are being picked on are the people mining on one card and talking about it. Not really their fault is it. "Its people like you causing this shortage". Well no it isnt really.

BTW I dont like mining.

Associate
it was fuelled by the pictures of 20/30/50/100 cards all mining being looked at by people who cant get 1 card at a decent price. So you could say miners created the image themselves.
Its not the main cause but mining didnt help the situation it made a bad situation worse.

The people who are being picked on are the people mining on one card and talking about it. Not really their fault is it. "Its people like you causing this shortage". Well no it isnt really.

BTW I dont like mining.

I think the worst case is when you are selling this cards as a retailer and left over of stock for mining.

This is something normal in Eastern Europe.

Soldato

BTW I dont like mining.

Yeah that's fair enough. I remember reading an article of some miner who was showing off that he could hoard loads of decent cards and pretty much laughing about it. That's not great.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I was cashing out every week or two :) Felt really good reaching then exceeding ROI on the 3080, especially when it was bought/used for gaming and just mined on when not gaming.

I recall I think it was sarge saying I was talking bs when I said it paid off half of my 3090 months back. A few educated folk jumped in to say its true but he went quiet after that as it holds a mirror up to the anti-miner trolls about.

There is nothing evil about it, put it to mining when your not gaming. Its pretty much paid itself off already, its not like I bought 6x 3070's to inconvenience anyone. People just get narky about pointless factoids and froth at the mouth thinking it will make it all better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom