MSI X570-A Pro - CPU Power 1 & 2 but PSU doesn't have right Pins?

Associate
Hi Guys,

Just come to install my new motherboard to power my Ryzen 5900x and my relatively new PSU doesn't seem to have the right connector for CPU power. I have 2 x 4 pin connector on my "be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply"

My motherboard has a 4 pin CPU 1 and a 4 pin CPU 2. I'm a little out of touch with modern motherboards but does that mean my PSU is not suitable for this new motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Not sure I understand... do you mean your PSU appears to have a single 8-pin instead of 2 x 4-pin for the headers? If so it's simply joined and you can unjoin it. Similar to how you can join a 2-pin PCIe connector to a 6-pin to form the 8-pin if you're familiar with that. Have a play with it.

Soldato
CPU PWR 1 is 8 pin and CPU PWR 2 is a 4pin connector. CPU PWR 2 is optional, extra juice for overlocking I believe. Plug the 2 x 4 Pins into CPU PWR 1 and you should be good to go.

Is the chip supported out of the box?, you may need to update the bios first. Also remember the CPU doesn't have a built in iGPU.

Associate
OP
Not sure I understand... do you mean your PSU appears to have a single 8-pin instead of 2 x 4-pin for the headers? If so it's simply joined and you can unjoin it. Similar to how you can join a 2-pin PCIe connector to a 6-pin to form the 8-pin if you're familiar with that. Have a play with it.

The motherboard end of the CPU power cable basically has two 4 pin connectors. Out of the PSU its actually 10 pin but the cable has 2 blanks in the middle.

CPU PWR 1 is 8 pin and CPU PWR 2 is a 4pin connector. CPU PWR 2 is optional, extra juice for overlocking I believe. Plug the 2 x 4 Pins into CPU PWR 1 and you should be good to go.

Is the chip supported out of the box?, you may need to update the bios first. Also remember the CPU doesn't have a built in iGPU.

Thanks for that. I thought it was based on my research but i've also got the latest bios for it. I have a dedicated GPU (RTX 2060 Super)

Soldato
This is the cable you're referring to?

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ayT8aPQ5fWm4LbhWp39yHG.jpg

Combined socket goes into PSU, the split end goes into CPU PWR 1 and CPU PWR 2.

Looks like the split end is 2(4pin) and an 8 pin, is that correct?
Well, that's just bad design, because it doesn't give separate contacts for every power wire, but doubles current per contact in PSU's end.
Unless PSU's end has beefier higher current rated connector.
Which I doubt.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Not relevant to your question, but that board is far from ideal for a 5900X. You might get some cpu throttling/VRM overheating depending on what you are doing i.e anything cpu intensive.

Associate
Looking on Be Quiet's website it seems your PSU comes with a 4 + 4 CPU connector which can either be used as as single P4 connector or a single P8 connector. I guess what you need is a single P8 connector + a single P4 connector? Just ask Be Quiet if they can ship you another P8 cable connector (if you have enough plugs in your PSU - if you don't then I think you need a new one).

Associate
I have that motherboard. The two 4 pins clip together to form an 8-pin. You do not need a third 4 pin unless you plan crazy overclocking which that mobo is not suited for.

Back
Top Bottom