Poll: DAB+ is the future? Digital terrestrial radio broadcasting

Which method do you prefer when listening to radio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
DAB in car is often rubbish, signal keeps dropping, say in traffic queue next to a lorry, blocks the signal, go down a dip in the road, or past tall buildings in town. FM doesn't drop and neither does my phone signal, so I switch to either FM or stream from my phone in the car.
Can't get Radio Paradise on DAB either.

It looked a good idea, but basically turned out to be poor quality, poor service and ultimate it's becoming superseded within a short time, in the UK, by better services and platforms. As the 5G network it's relevance will diminish even further.
In the home all the radio station are on Digital TV channel stations as well, why double up?

If it got turned off I wouldn't even notice or care.

Man of Honour
5G has very short range but this means there will be lots of masts. So why not use mobile phone masts for DAB repeaters to fill in the gaps? Stream the data to them via the Internet :D

That would certainly help fill in some of the dead spots, but it wouldn't change the quality of the signal. UK DAB/DAB+ would still be the low bitrate junk we've been saddled with.

Man of Honour
From The Irish Times:

Farewell DAB, the radio technology we didn’t need

Goodbye Digital Audio Broadcasting, the radio technology it turned out Irish listeners didn’t need and never really got to know – not in significant numbers, at least.

While DAB or its close cousin DAB+ have become widespread in some European countries and Australia, it didn’t take off in the Republic. The Irish market is not alone in this respect: Canada is just one example of a major broadcasting market where DAB stalled before it properly got going.

Farewell DAB, the radio technology we didn’t need (irishtimes.com)

It makes me wonder just who is getting the backhanders for UK DAB to still be limping along.

Permabanned
OP
5G has very short range but this means there will be lots of masts. So why not use mobile phone masts for DAB repeaters to fill in the gaps? Stream the data to them via the Internet :D

The mobile phone masts are private and you have no access to them unless you pay.
Also, 5G carries over high frequencies like microwave ovens...

Associate
LOL - Point completely missed, I said use the masts not 5G :p Anyways the whole idea was really meant as bit of a **** take. I'm sure greater minds than mine have looked in to ways to fill not spots. Shame they've failed as DAB is still the best way to listen to 5 Live in the car for me.

Permabanned
OP
Dublin switched the old technology DAB off. They haven't yet aired the new DAB+ with new efficient codecs.
I think they will start DAB+ in the near future once it becomes an EU-wide initiative and broad standard.

Associate
It is the beginning. FM analogue low quality radio stations must be switched off as soon as possible and forgotten as a bad thing of the past.

Yeah, and while they're at it, they can switch off the low bitrate mono junk stations on DAB and and residual trash on DAB+.
You actually don't know that DAB and even DAB+ doesn't sound that great, do you? Or that an FM stereo transmission can actually sound great like they did in the late 80's early 90's without the excessive compression we have all experienced for 25+ years.

FWIW though, nobody cares about DAB or DAB+. Most people who listen to the radio just have it on in the background anyway. I know people who still listen to MW stations!!

Soldato
Man of Honour
It is the beginning. FM analogue low quality radio stations must be switched off as soon as possible and forgotten as a bad thing of the past.

Low quality radio stations, of which DAB and DAB+ has enabled an even greater proliferation, therefore....

Switch off DAB/DAB+ and so improve the average quality.

Yep, at last an argument from @4K8KW10 relating to UK DAB/DAB+ that I can get behind :D

Back
Top Bottom