*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Considering a SONOS Roam - does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

I really like the form factor and it would fit great under a monitor in a minimalist setup. It's mainly for music use but I watch a bit of Netflix on the system and do a little bit of casual gaming, any idea if I can run it wired to do away with any delay? Bluetooth speaker delay kills gaming for me.

Soldato
Considering a SONOS Roam - does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

I really like the form factor and it would fit great under a monitor in a minimalist setup. It's mainly for music use but I watch a bit of Netflix on the system and do a little bit of casual gaming, any idea if I can run it wired to do away with any delay? Bluetooth speaker delay kills gaming for me.
I've got one, it's ok for the price - similar to a SoundLink or something like that.

Certainly hasn't blown me away, but for it's size it's decent enough.

For your use case (if it's going to be wired all the time). I'd say there are better speakers out there. Roams value comes in it being portable, waterproof etc.

taB

taB

Associate
How are people finding the software, for me it's been terrible over the past few weeks.

We have 2 x Play 3s & 1 x One. This morning the app is showing me just one of the 3s (the least used). Both the others are playing as I've started them via the button and they're normally linked. 5 minutes after opening the app and they're all showing.

Yesterday was the same and I reinstalled everything as it had been playing up for a while.

Checking the desktop software it also just shows the single Play 3 initially for about 3 minutes. It's the furthest unit from the router so doesn't seem connection related.

Pretty rubbish really and welcome thoughts / fixes!

Associate
I've got one, it's ok for the price - similar to a SoundLink or something like that.

Certainly hasn't blown me away, but for it's size it's decent enough.

For your use case (if it's going to be wired all the time). I'd say there are better speakers out there. Roams value comes in it being portable, waterproof etc.

Thanks. If you have any other recommendations for mono, soundbar-style speakers which would work line-in I'd be keen to hear!

taB

taB

Associate
Honestly I find the SONOS app utterly useless to be honest. I just end up Airplaying to mine now so I can avoid it.

It's always been a bit rubbish, it's just that now it's totally so!

Anything Android based people use as I think Airplay is Apple only?

Cheers.

Associate
Anything Android based people use as I think Airplay is Apple only?

You could set up an AirConnect server that lets you 'chromecast' to it from Android devices. I actually use it to Airplay to my first gen Sonos devices that never supported Airplay natively. https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

When you cast using this theres a short delay at the start of the song but otherwise works really well.

EDIT: actually I'm not sure it does allow you to create a 'Chromecast' receiver, might have got my protocols mixed up.

Soldato
Are you asking if the Arc is still better in that scenario? If so, yes. I don't have a direct comparison, not until I get our rears, but my friend has a Beam and 2 rears and I still think the Arc+Sub sounds better. So probably would sound better again with dedicated rears. Similarly shaped room, theirs a bit bigger

Man of Honour
My Play:5 which used to be in my last kitchen and now in my office keeps renaming itself from office to kitchen. I think it wants to move back.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There's better bass with the Arc and the Beam but to my ears they're both very lacking in bass. You may feel there's sufficient bass but we really didn't.

I don't need big bass tbh, I live in a semi so keeping neighbours happy is important. The Beam and 2 x play:1s do provide ample bass currently.

Soldato
My Play:5 which used to be in my last kitchen and now in my office keeps renaming itself from office to kitchen. I think it wants to move back.
I have this with one of my Play 5's. It keeps changing its name to Default Speaker. Which is rather annoying.

Back
Top Bottom