• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So a 2080Ti is now not a 4K card then ? Last gens top dog .. the 3070 has same gpu grunt as a 2080Ti and better RT on the 3070. The 3070 is a very good 4K able card and remember games are tested maxed out on his reviews, so can be turned down a little to get the frame rates you want and even maxed out the games are doing really well on frame rates.

Check the video:-

3070 vs 2080Ti (3070 stock FE and the 2080Ti is an OC model as he didn't have a 2080Ti FE, so the 2080Ti results should be a little lower really if using a FE 2080Ti to keep it fair)

At the time, it was. Things have moved on, it's just the way the tech and gaming sector progresses so therefore it is no longer a 4k card, at least not if you want the everything maxed out as much as possible and have 60+ fps.....

The same way a 3080/3090/6800xt/6900xt won't be a 4k card in 1-2 years either (if expecting max settings @ 60 fps)

Associate
so its not a 4k card because you now have to lower some settings to make it so, what are you guys smoking? that's like saying an old 8800 wasnt a 720p/1080p whatever card later on towards the end of its life because game got more demanding.

the 3070 is absolutely a 4k casual card...

Soldato
Try running a modern title on a 2080Ti at 4k. CP2077 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla? Your not getting 60 FPS.

I can run old titles on my dual 3090s with almost 90% scaling and not getting above 90 fps on a 5120 x 1440p 120Hz too...damn not 4k cards now because they can't hit 120fps which my monitor can do and is a million pixels less than 4K.

Doesnt mean a 3070 is not able to run 4K games well. It's actually a 2080Ti performance card +/- 3% max and in some games even beats a 2080Ti, CP2077 is a mess and Assassin's Creed Valhalla is an AMD game that favours deliberately AMD cards to the point it looks like they deliberately nerf Nvidia cards.

Another video 3070 FE vs 2080Ti FE

Soldato
so its not a 4k card because you now have to lower some settings to make it so, what are you guys smoking? that's like saying an old 8800 wasnt a 720p/1080p whatever card later on towards the end of its life because game got more demanding.

the 3070 is absolutely a 4k casual card...

They like watching FPS counters instead of playing the games it seems...:rolleyes:

Soldato
I didn't realise that games had graphically progressed so much in 2 years that the previous generation top end card is now considered a 1440p card.

With that kind of thinking 4k pc gaming will only ever be a niche thing.

Associate
and using cyberpunk as any kind of performance indicator is about as useful as a wet paper bag at this point, the game is so crappily optimized for the hardware, not to mention it looks pretty terrible.

Caporegime
In the world of pc gaming and on an enthusiast forum like this where "pc gamers" want the best visuals AND perf. then it's not that hard to see why gpus can often be referred to as not being 4k capable for long....

PS. Technically you could say 4k is still niche

ADdVOa1.png

I'm perfectly happy to drop settings if required (within reason) to achieve my ideal FPS target at 1440 or 4k.

Should we say that a 1080ti, fury x, vega 64 etc. are still "4k capable" (or rather targeted at 4k in this day and age) too then as technically you can play games well at 4k with turning down settings here too....

Associate
that chart proves nothing. can it run games in 4k? yes it can.

going by your own buzz words, most pc gamers are still running a 1660 or whatever so your whole argument is kinda off and how many times more powerful is a 3070 than a 1660 or whatever the top steam card is atm?

if it can play the game in 4k then its 4k capable so not sure how you cvan say it cant play in 4k :D:rolleyes::p

Soldato
My 3070 is a champ neck and neck @4K in raw fps terms all the way up to it's vram limitated settings with the 2080Ti and it's game over.

2080Ti is never having the 3070 vram limitation problem with a lot smoother frame pacing.

Got to say, as it doesn't get much attention, bottom line, what a job Nv drivers must be doing trying to keep the vram in check rather than just total slide shows or ctd's like years gone past.

Permabanned
and using cyberpunk as any kind of performance indicator is about as useful as a wet paper bag at this point, the game is so crappily optimized for the hardware, not to mention it looks pretty terrible.

CP2077 is the best AAA RT title so far in terms of RT usage. A GPU intensive title. The game has bugs, but the Red Engine works well. Why wouldn't you use it? What do you think differentiates the RTX line up from GTX?

Soldato
I can run old titles on my dual 3090s with almost 90% scaling and not getting above 90 fps on a 5120 x 1440p 120Hz too...damn not 4k cards now because they can't hit 120fps which my monitor can do and is a million pixels less than 4K.

Doesnt mean a 3070 is not able to run 4K games well. It's actually a 2080Ti performance card +/- 3% max and in some games even beats a 2080Ti, CP2077 is a mess and Assassin's Creed Valhalla is an AMD game that favours deliberately AMD cards to the point it looks like they deliberately nerf Nvidia cards.

Another video 3070 FE vs 2080Ti FE

The 3070 is a replacement for the 2070 (which was not a 4K card either) and not a 2080ti which is why it only has 8gb VRAM and not 11gb, sure the raster performance is up there with a 2080ti but you can't buy a GPU at this price nowadays and expect to run everything at full beans.

The people originally targeting this card which would have normally cost around £450-500 would most likely be 1440P gamers anyway so Nvidia decided to push extra raster performance rather than go with 16gb which would give.very little benefit other than having to raise prices. Your judging the card from your own perspective of running dual SLI 3090s and even a monitor which costs double what this GPU should.

Anyone who wants 4K should know by now to buy a card with more VRAM else you will likely have to turn down some setting either due to the limited memory or performance which you get from a card in this price bracket.

Soldato
The 3070 is a replacement for the 2070 (which was not a 4K card either) and not a 2080ti which is why it only has 8gb VRAM and not 11gb, sure the raster performance is up there with a 2080ti but you can't buy a GPU at this price nowadays and expect to run everything at full beans.

The people originally targeting this card which would have normally cost around £450-500 would most likely be 1440P gamers anyway so Nvidia decided to push extra raster performance rather than go with 16gb which would give.very little benefit other than having to raise prices. Your judging the card from your own perspective of running dual SLI 3090s and even a monitor which costs double what this GPU should.

Anyone who wants 4K should know by now to buy a card with more VRAM else you will likely have to turn down some setting either due to the limited memory or performance which you get from a card in this price bracket.

Jensen announced 'NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Faster Than RTX 2080 Ti at $499' in his kitchen.

Soldato
In the world of pc gaming and on an enthusiast forum like this where "pc gamers" want the best visuals AND perf. then it's not that hard to see why gpus can often be referred to as not being 4k capable for long....

PS. Technically you could say 4k is still niche

ADdVOa1.png

I'm perfectly happy to drop settings if required (within reason) to achieve my ideal FPS target at 1440 or 4k.

Should we say that a 1080ti, fury x, vega 64 etc. are still "4k capable" (or rather targeted at 4k in this day and age) too then as technically you can play games well at 4k with turning down settings here too....

That's my point. How many years have we had 4k monitors for and it is still only 2.14% of the market? Even those 1440p numbers are pathetic.

Soldato
thats comparing apples to oranges, just because uptake is low, doesnt mean its not capable.. you guys are going off on a tangent.
Hold on. that is not what i am saying

What i was saying is that the notion that only the top most card of the generation is the only 4k capable card is what will keep 4k pc gaming a niche.

Associate
It could be a sign that the 3070 is unbalanced. You want your card to run out of fps grunt before being limited by Vram. Doom is a sign that its the Vram that could be the limiting factor before fps.

3070 cards are 4k capable cards. I don't think we have hit the true 4k card yet.

Permabanned

Say what you want about Cyberpunks performance but it does not look terrible. Thats just a flat out lie regardless of what you think of the game. With Ray tracing on ultra @4k with everything maxed it is stunning to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom