• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
OP
And word on battlefield 2042 supporting this? I notice nvidia announced earlier it’ll have diss support.

Given that AMD review slides said "please don't compare FSR with DLSS as they are not competing" I'd say AMD would rather drink a cup of concrete before trying to get FSR directly tested against DLSS

The odds of FSR in bf2042 this year or anytime soon are likely 0.1%

Soldato
RiftBreaker FSR at 1080p is shockingly bad. It works far better on DOTA 2 which is also free but I posted some links to FSR on vs Off at 1080p earlier in the thread to save anyone a 34GB install.

Soldato
Does using fsr with vsr to get more pixels to get better results when scaling not help with 1080p like do 4k vsr and use say performance mode or the medium one or 1440p and use ultra quality? for those on 1080p monitors?

Soldato
I tried The Riftbreaker using my laptop - 17" 1080p 144Hz Gsync/1070/8750h/32GB RAM/512GB NVMe/4TB SATA3 SSD. It wasn't a good experience due to blur and shimmer. I can't imagine it would be any different in Doom. On the plus side, it did let the laptop run cooler.

For me this has been the real win, even on dekstop. ;)

51264738964_0dab2e0bd7_h.jpg

Soldato
OP
RiftBreaker FSR at 1080p is shockingly bad. It works far better on DOTA 2 which is also free but I posted some links to FSR on vs Off at 1080p earlier in the thread to save anyone a 34GB install.

Whether by design or just the nature of the technology, FSR needs a reasonable amount of pixels to work with otherwise it cannot produce a satisfactory image - that's what you experienced on your 1080p screen, FSR doesn't have enough pixels to work with.

From my own, albeit limited testing, when you are using FSR you want to give it at least 2560x1440 pixels to use - because of this, FSR is designed for a 4k and 8k screens.

Originally people thought FSR was gonna breath new life into very old cards, the problem is people with those cards are not using 4k/8k screens, they're are using 1080p where FSR does a terrible job and may as well not be used at all

Associate
Whether by design or just the nature of the technology, FSR needs a reasonable amount of pixels to work with otherwise it cannot produce a satisfactory image - that's what you experienced on your 1080p screen, FSR doesn't have enough pixels to work with.

From my own, albeit limited testing, when you are using FSR you want to give it at least 2560x1440 pixels to use - because of this, FSR is designed for a 4k and 8k screens.

Originally people thought FSR was gonna breath new life into very old cards, the problem is people with those cards are not using 4k/8k screens, they're are using 1080p where FSR does a terrible job and may as well not be used at all

Thats what I thought as well. FSR is not going to work well it you take a very low resolution image and try to upscale to 4k. More likely the closer to the target resolution you get then the better the quality.

Soldato
OP
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ocknpl/edge_of_eternity_tech_qa_midgar_ceo_on_amd_fsr_vs/

First game with dlss and fsr, a interview with the devs about having both techs etc. Might be interesting read for some of you.

Interesting answers - says he likes fsr more because dlss requires more work, but it also sounds like he's using an outdated version of unity engine and an outdated version of dlss - says he likes FSR cause it was quick to implement but later he also said he had to replace the game's anti aliasing with a different type all together because fsr was losing too much quality.

Then when he compares the consoles he says he likes the Xbox because it will do AI images like dlss

Soldato
Thats what I thought as well. FSR is not going to work well it you take a very low resolution image and try to upscale to 4k. More likely the closer to the target resolution you get then the better the quality.

I thought the same until I tried Dota 2 and saw that even at 1080p it looked arguably better than native. So maybe the issue is in the implementation. FSR in DOTA at 1080p with 75% render scale sharpens the textures and adds some missing details but it softens the edges. I think the image comparison in the spoiler is a case of personal preference, which means FSR is doing a great job in this case at 1080p. I think (or hope) this is evidence that FSR can give much better results depending on how well a dev implements it.

More evidence will be required before an accurate assessment can be made.

Native.jpg

FSR-75.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the same until I tried Dota 2 and saw that even at 1080p it looked arguably better than native. So maybe the issue is in the implementation. FSR in DOTA at 1080p with 75% render scale sharpens the textures and adds some missing details but it softens the edges. I think the image comparison in the spoiler is a case of personal preference, which means FSR is doing a great job in this case at 1080p. I think (or hope) this is evidence that FSR can give much better results depending on how well a dev implements it.

More evidence will be required before an accurate assessment can be made.

Native.jpg

FSR-75.jpg

Which is FSR and which is native? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
obviously the first image is FSR, look at the ground - bunch of fine details are missing compared to the second image and it has more aliasing on edges
:cry: If you open the images in a new tab the first one is labelled 'native' and the second one which is sharper is FSR.

The ground looks blurrier with FSR in Riftbreaker but for some reason in Dota 2 it's the opposite going by the screenshots unless the person who labelled them made a mistake

Back
Top Bottom