Tescos and sainsburys pay at pump preauthorisation change

Soldato
Soldato
See no issue here, stops people authorising £1 if they only have £5 in their account and driving off and the unused balance is returned instantly. If you don't have enough in your account/overdraft to cover it pay in the kiosk.

Permabanned
Yeah I was thinking just pay inside? I used the BP Me app to pay for all my fuel now as BP garage is nearest/most convenient. Wonder if that does similar, unsure as it seems to take payment once you finish refuelling.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Seems totally fair to me. I’ve always got €125 blocked to my card when I fill up at the pumps until it recalculates the real amount.

As stated above, if you don’t like it, pay inside. Or use a credit card and then it won’t make any difference at all.

Associate
5+ years ago worked in an ASDA petrol station with 4 pay@pump, I can't remember what the pre-auth amount was but we frequently had people complaining they couldnt use them so I'd tell them if their balance low (emphasis on low so as not to offend too much!) then that was probably why. Most would stomp off in a huff.

Soldato
So this appears to be a decision from the transaction companies.

What's the actual benefit?

People will still choose pay instore and instantly drive off if they want to be scum won't they.

Soldato
Anyone who objects should simply go pay in the shop instead.
This, when I got to Costco it’s only option is pay at pump and it always gives a pre-authorised limit of £99 but never ‘ear marked’ that, it just shows exact amount on the receipt within a couple of days.

This will mean more people paying in the kiosk when pay at pump is better for keeping distance from people for Covid-19 .

Soldato
He means anyone planning on ripping off a petrol station will still do so anyway by selecting 'pay in kiosk' and then just driving off after.
You choose pay in store at the pump, you fill up, then don't pay?

Or has it changed to prepay at till also?
Ah gotcha.

I think the cop out, a bit like the "oh my god I shop lifted by accident because I received an emergency phone call" is people can plead ignorance on the pre-auth/lack of balance issue. Driving off without paying on the other hand is a more throw-the-book-at-you kind of theft?

Soldato
He means anyone planning on ripping off a petrol station will still do so anyway by selecting 'pay in kiosk' and then just driving off after.

Do people actually do this?? I mean other than stolen cars/plates, they have your registration plate on camera and then police can just look up the database to find you?

Man of Honour
What difference does it make anyway? It's just a pre authorisation? So you'll only pay for the fuel you purchased just like now?

Soldato
What difference does it make anyway? It's just a pre authorisation? So you'll only pay for the fuel you purchased just like now?
I'm a member of a Facebook community for my "home town". I am one of the few that made it out, the rest, not so much. This was hot press at the time. People were saying they could not feed their babies etc.

Basically, poorer people tend to spend mostly on debit card. If you have a low balance, and a hundie gets blocked out, you could be going hungry for a while whilst the balance 'gets freed up'.

I buy it - when I was much younger, it would have been a big issue.

Basically it is only a problem that affects those with poor/no credit (or just generally do not have a credit card) and little available cash in the current account. Ergo, it affects poor folk disproportionately. Ergo, it makes headlines in tabloids.

Soldato
I'm a member of a Facebook community for my "home town". I am one of the few that made it out, the rest, not so much. This was hot press at the time. People were saying they could not feed their babies etc.

Basically, poorer people tend to spend mostly on debit card. If you have a low balance, and a hundie gets blocked out, you could be going hungry for a while whilst the balance 'gets freed up'.

I buy it - when I was much younger, it would have been a big issue.

Basically it is only a problem that affects those with poor/no credit (or just generally do not have a credit card) and little available cash in the current account. Ergo, it affects poor folk disproportionately. Ergo, it makes headlines in tabloids.

I get that, fair enough but if you’re one of these people, just go in and pay?

Back
Top Bottom