Poll: DAB+ is the future? Digital terrestrial radio broadcasting

Which method do you prefer when listening to radio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permabanned
OP
If DAB/DAB+ doesn't sound well in the UK, that's your fault and the fault of your greedy operators and stations, and not fault of the technology itself.

DAB+ in Germany sounds perfect, no FM can come even close to that sound!!

Soldato
If DAB/DAB+ doesn't sound well in the UK, that's your fault and the fault of your greedy operators and stations, and not fault of the technology itself.

DAB+ in Germany sounds perfect, no FM can come even close to that sound!!

How’s it “our fault” as in the consumer ? The technology in the uk is poor , and FM is superior.

You keep banging on about European Radio. WE DON’T CARE. This is a uk website.

Permabanned
OP
How’s it “our fault” as in the consumer ?

With this counter-productive discussion in which you obviously show lack of any appreciation of the technology, and lack of any feedback that works to improve the situation.

You must inform the radio stations that their sound quality is poor, and understand that it has nothing to do with DAB+ general quality and potential.

Man of Honour
With this counter-productive discussion in which you obviously show lack of any appreciation of the technology, and lack of any feedback that works to improve the situation.

You must inform the radio stations that their sound quality is poor, and understand that it has nothing to do with DAB+ general quality and potential.

0iXC5h.jpg

What do you think the vocal element of the UK public has been for the past 25 years? Why do you think that the Government has delayed and delayed switching off FM?

Almost 450 post in this thread, and you still haven't got the message.

MsQKAZ.jpg

Permabanned
OP
If your government and regulators don't listen to you, then it doesn't speak well for you.

Why is the UK the only country that has such problems? :D Why? :D

Soldato
Buddy you lost the argument PAGES ago when you admitted to using junk audio equipment and somehow totally failed to understand the extremely straight forward graph posted by @lucid.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34590569/

So, you are proving the point that FM is rubbish:

gqLfeJ.jpg

The discussions about my own system are totally irrelevant - the consumers are free to choose whatever they like.
I find mine extremely good and even on it, even if the speakers are not so wide, DAB+ sound way better than FM.

I am very sure that German DAB+ is superior to British FM :D :D

You literally have no idea what you're talking about, you're quite possibly the biggest nonsense merchant I've ever come across on any forum I've ever been part of in over 20 years of using the internet.

Soldato

My appreciation is my ears .

As I said….. This is a uk website, and you’ve banged on about car dab and a mini system that’s so poor it’s not even funny :cry: I’d rather listen to radio via YouTube.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Hot news:

What does the explosion DAB+ services in the UK mean for listeners and broadcasters?
UK radio and audio expert Matt Deegan of Folder Media shared his insights with DRUK's Ford Ennals on what the recent huge expansion of small-scale DAB+ digital radio services in the UK means for listeners and broadcasters. Business models include a combination of advertising, donation-based, DJ subscription, or funding from local government.
News | WorldDAB

Man of Honour
Hot news:

What does the explosion DAB+ services in the UK mean for listeners and broadcasters?
UK radio and audio expert Matt Deegan of Folder Media shared his insights with DRUK's Ford Ennals on what the recent huge expansion of small-scale DAB+ digital radio services in the UK means for listeners and broadcasters. Business models include a combination of advertising, donation-based, DJ subscription, or funding from local government.

So, man from media company specifically focussed on digital radio interviews another man from a business selling advertising concepts on digital radio. Yep, no agenda there then.

Oh, and small scale DAB+ with audience subscription as the funding model. Good luck in making that fly.

Associate
This is absolute nonsense.

Nope, it's not absolute nonsense. A properly set up FM Stereo transmitter can sound fantastic. It's the incorrect processing/compression that spoils the party. But then, things are normally set up for maximum loudness, often causing "ear fatigue". This type of audio processing maintains amplitude levels and can "hide" poor management of audio levels from multiple sources in the studio. This compression technique is also used with DAB/DAB+. And to make matters worse, often the DAB/DAB+ feed is exactly the same one used for the FM transmission. What is thought to be optimal for an analogue system doesn't necessarily translate well when applied to digital, so the DAB/DAB+ version often sounds far worse, that's on top of poor bitrates.

The average radio listener actually doesn't care about any form of digital radio. Like has been said, people just put the radio on in the background or in the car. An audiophile wouldn't be touching DAB/DAB+ with a bargepole. It doesn't matter what equipment they use either. There is no getting away from compression, and some people are quite sensitive to it, even with the best coding and bitrates.

Back
Top Bottom