*** Nintendo Switch ***

Not sure why people are surprised by Nintendo anymore. They have sat on their hands for the past 2+ years and still sold millions and millions of consoles. They have sat on their hands and still sold millions of copies of a 7 year old game (MK8) and quite a few of the best games on the Switch are still ports from the Wii U. Its basically become a ports console with the occasional triple A game on it if you are interested in a particular IP.

I doubt we will see MK9, another Mario (like Odyssey), Bayonetta, MP4, Pikmin 4 this generation. BOTW will come out for the end of next year despite it leaning very heavily on the current engine, assets and world and despite BotW coming out over 4 years ago now.

Nintendo has repeatedly dropped the ball this generation when it comes to games and many other things and just seem to laugh as people lap it up. They are like an awfully run company that just seem to make more and more money every year and no one can really see why.

Agree with this and the majority of your posts following it, I've made very similar complaints on here before, I've just had to accept that as a Wii-U owner and fan the Switch just can't offer me much, which is a damn shame as it's a fantastic SKU, one of my favourites, but ultimately it's just a Wii-U porting machine that prints money, If I play MK8 any more I'm honestly going to vomit, I can't suck anything more out of that game :(

I guess I'm just angry and frustrated, I love Nintendo, had all their systems since the original NES, although I've always had a high end PC Nintendo always ultimately gave me the most fun, the Switch SKU was what I dreamed of as a child, I always wanted that true console 'experience' on a handheld, probably last felt on the Sega Game Gear as that essentially was a handheld Master System but it was short lived, I expected so much more than reluctant purchases of games I've already played, with my GF constantly moaning "is there nothing new on this thing!", Nintendo was our glue :(

Metroid looks barely passable for a mobile game, how on earth do they think they are going to compete with the likes of Ori and Hollow Knight, I loved Metroid, I completed it again recently but the Metroidvania genre is so polished right now, nostalgia isn't going to be enough, I didn't see anything interesting in the Metroid Dread trailer, incredibly bland looking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have kids who have access to both a Switch and Roblox?

Got switches for both my two (age 11 and neatly-8) for Xmas but, after initial interest, both of them only play Roblox (not available on Switch) and Minecraft (which they play on Xbox and Tablet respectively)

Mario Kart has been played about 4 times, BOTW once, both put reasonable time into Pokemon, and eldest played a chunk of Animal Crossing for about a month... But that's it.

As far as I can tell, all their friends are the same. Seems like traditional games are dead to this generation of young gamers.

Soldato

Got switches for both my two (age 11 and neatly-8) for Xmas but, after initial interest, both of them only play Roblox (not available on Switch) and Minecraft (which they play on Xbox and Tablet respectively)

Mario Kart has been played about 4 times, BOTW once, both put reasonable time into Pokemon, and eldest played a chunk of Animal Crossing for about a month... But that's it.

As far as I can tell, all their friends are the same. Seems like traditional games are dead to this generation of young gamers.
Same we play MK occasionally and AC was big last year but yeh Roblox is king. Nothing wrong with it really but would like to see it come to consoles as playing on ipad is a chore

Soldato
Same we play MK occasionally and AC was big last year but yeh Roblox is king. Nothing wrong with it really but would like to see it come to consoles as playing on ipad is a chore
My eldest plays Roblox on Xbox. It's odd that it's unavailable on Switch, though. Youngest plays on tablet but uses an xbox controller.

Tbh, I think it's a shame they only play, essentially, minigames. But at least they're playing with friends I suppose.

Associate
Has anyone picked up THPS1+2 on Switch? Any thoughts?

had been waiting a while for this so got on Saturday. It’s really very good. I’ve not played any of the franchise since 1+2 which frankly I spent so much time on back in the day that’s it’s a miracle I graduated. Excellent remake, I’m just embarrassed about how laughable my gaming skills are these days. I imagined I’d start playing and be busting out several hundred k combos within an hour or so, but not so

Associate

My daughter plays roblox on her laptop and a variety of games on her switch (animal crossing, fortnite, Mario kart, pokemon very occasionally) but she and her friends seem to play one game non stop for days / weeks and she'll never touch anything else, then move to something else and back again weeks later.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
had been waiting a while for this so got on Saturday. It’s really very good. I’ve not played any of the franchise since 1+2 which frankly I spent so much time on back in the day that’s it’s a miracle I graduated. Excellent remake, I’m just embarrassed about how laughable my gaming skills are these days. I imagined I’d start playing and be busting out several hundred k combos within an hour or so, but not so

Was all the game on the game cart or did you need to download extra content?

Soldato

We have roblox on the ipad, but my kids are much more into the switch (or ps5).
My son (9) doesn't really do roblox at all. My daughter (11) used to play it occasionally. It seemed to be more of a social thing for her, and woke play roblox whilst simultaneously in a group call with her friends.

Roblox does seem to be what my daughters friend play. Her friends won't ask have access to other consoles. I have pointed out that roblox is a a little bit crap, and most of her friends aren't as lucky in terms of having a dad who is massively into gaming and buys lots of games.
The games my kids get into to be from their own internal "culture" within our house. They will talk to each other about gaming, but I don't think my daughter will really mention it to her mates.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My view of Nintendo is quite mixed. They have some excellent games and I don’t mind paying for them, but I don’t see that they provide very good value for money and (whilst it’s all peanuts money really, even Nintendo prices) I nevertheless find that very annoying in principle.

There seems to be a misunderstanding amongst Nintendo enthusiasts that anything that isn’t a Nintendo game is duff. Excluding all the third party ports on the Switch, that is, which somehow become ‘good buys’ but only once available on the Switch.

That lazy as **** Mario Party game they released on the Switch really, really took the micky. How could it have such boring small boards compared to the n64 games, it’s absurd. I’ve been annoyed ever since buying it.

Also, re-releasing all of these old games for full price to me seems a little greedy in principle.

Frustrating.

Soldato
New Oled switch announced with a bigger screen. Seems zero performance increase though so not the ‘pro’ people wanted.
Can’t see a more powerful version or a switch 2 until at least 2023

Back
Top Bottom