NIP for reg spacing

Soldato
Do you cry when you see an illegal plate?

This is such a pointless argument. Spacing does not stop legibility of a number plate (or a postcode).

If you're that deeply upset about this, I'd urge you to write a nice letter to your MP to ask why spacing is important in numberplates, and if they can change the law so that spaces are unnecessary.

OcUK Staff
An example could be, a plate that should read A13, but mis spacing can make that appear as AB.

How?

A13
A 13
A1 3
A 1 3

No matter how you space that a computer is never seen 13 as B unless none legal fonts are used and somehow making the 1 and 3 really close but then that’s not removing a space or adding a space that’s actually changing the size of spacing which I don’t think is possible any more.

Someone who has the plate A13 and spaces it A 13 won’t be making the 13 look like a B to a human or any computer.

The law is the law but no one is been harmed and if people want to space or not space their plates and it makes them feel better then is that not what matters that it gives them happiness and as long as they are keep to legal fonts and sizing so the plate can be read easily what’s the harm and to anyone else, let them get on with their life’s.

Guess Im more laid back as such things don’t bother me and nor do I wish any back luck or harm on people who try to personalise their cars even if their taste is aweful.

Associate
How?

A13
A 13
A1 3
A 1 3

No matter how you space that a computer is never seen 13 as B unless none legal fonts are used and somehow making the 1 and 3 really close but then that’s not removing a space or adding a space that’s actually changing the size of spacing which I don’t think is possible any more.

it’s quite possible and I’ve seen many cases of exactly that type of mis spacing.

Someone who has the plate A13 and spaces it A 13 won’t be making the 13 look like a B to a human or any computer.

certain of that are you? Or just opinion? I didn’t say they would or wouldn’t. Just gave a perfectly valid example of how Mis spacing can alter the appearance of the characters to another combination. Don’t shoot the messenger.

The law is the law but no one is been harmed and if people want to space or not space their plates and it makes them feel better then is that not what matters that it gives them happiness and as long as they are keep to legal fonts and sizing so the plate can be read easily what’s the harm and to anyone else, let them get on with their life’s.

Guess Im more laid back as such things don’t bother me and nor do I wish any back luck or harm on people who try to personalise their cars even if their taste is aweful.

so we agree, if they stick to the law regarding number plates everyone should be happy? FYI, I didn’t say it upset me or it bothered me, simply people should comply with the law.

Soldato
How?

A13
A 13
A1 3
A 1 3

yep, said the same myself, however, I can never be bothered with the ensuing arguments and moral highground hahaha.

Soldato
Catching people with illegally spaced plates is far more important than catching, for example, people that burgle houses

One is minor paperwork and some good income for the force

The other is enormous admin and nothing but cost to the force

Makes sense.

/OCUK Moral high ground/ "HOW DARE YOU KILL CHILDREN WITH YOUR INCCORECTLLY SPACED LETTERS ON A PIECE OF PLASTIC. PHYSCHO!!!!"

Soldato
Wow OCUK really winding itself up about their uh... rights... to order and install illegal plates.

Got the caps lock and the ! button held down too.

Soldato
Catching people with illegally spaced plates is far more important than catching, for example, people that burgle houses

Makes sense.

/OCUK Moral high ground/ "HOW DARE YOU KILL CHILDREN WITH YOUR INCCORECTLLY SPACED LETTERS ON A PIECE OF PLASTIC. PHYSCHO!!!!"

Oh dear Alex.

Let's educate you a little. Get comfy on your Brighthouse sofa and ready to read, maybe call someone to help you with the big words.

1. ALL fines levied are put into central government coffers, the force issuing the fine does not direct 'profit'.

2. A great number of "more important" crimes are detected and offenders arrested simply by a traffic stop. Famously Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) was caught when officers spotted that the reg plate he was driving didn't match the one written on the tax disc.

3. If you're stopped by police and given a FPN or TOR for an offence such as a dodgy plate then the likelihood is that you were stopped by a traffic officer, who's specific job role is to deal with traffic offences. Very rare (but not unheard of) a traffic cop will be assigned to another case type such as a burglary.

I'm no fan of police but they have a job to do.

Caporegime

Makes sense.

Already explained that the police generate no income from it.keep making things up though *thumbs up*

Man of Honour

The problem is, it's not just about spacing. It's about people deciding that they get to draw the line between what is acceptable and what isn't - often with no understanding or care for the complications this brings. You've drawn the line that spacing is ok, but fonts and sizing isn't. What about people who draw other lines, perhaps they want a different font, smoked plates or different colours - I'm sure that gives them happiness.

That's why there is a standard. Someone has drawn the line and spacing is part of that decision. Some may think it's arbitrary, and perhaps it is, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere.

Caporegime
The problem is, it's not just about spacing. It's about people deciding that they get to draw the line between what is acceptable and what isn't - often with no understanding or care for the complications this brings. You've drawn the line that spacing is ok, but fonts and sizing isn't. What about people who draw other lines, perhaps they want a different font, smoked plates or different colours - I'm sure that gives them happiness.

That's why there is a standard. Someone has drawn the line and spacing is part of that decision. Some may think it's arbitrary, and perhaps it is, but a line does need to be drawn somewhere.

Agree with every bit of this.

Man of Honour
Law is law, you can’t simply chose the ones you agree with or how you grade the breaking of them or if you chose to break them moan when you get caught. Sure, some rules are crazy but they exist and if you ignore them and get caught you have only yourself to blame.

Back
Top Bottom