I'd like to clarify something about furlough

Caporegime
Working non stop for the past 2 infected years, hospital support staff kitchen and 2 restaurants, and now I've been given 6 months notice. Such gratitude :p

Need to cut expenditure, the usual reasons.
I understand but it feels like a kick in the teeth after all this time being thanked for our commitment..... We're losing 1/3 of our staff and capability.

At least I found out I enjoy this line of work.

Soldato
Public sector worker here, so never any chance of furlough. I worked harder than ever last year.

And yes I have some resentment of people that were furloughed. I’ve been working for over 20 years and never had more than 2 weeks off. Having multiple months of work and being paid 90-100% sounds amazing and is something I’ll never have.

As far as choice goes, some people got furlough, but ultimately all tax payers will foot the bill.

Did you ever have the fear of losing your public sector job through the pandemic or was it nice and secure?

I'll also imagine that some of the people complaining about having to work harder/more we're also raking it in through overtime.

You want to be resentful of some people that were living on a reduced wage with a constant fear (some of which became a reality) of losing their jobs simply because you didn't get time off?

Soldato
Furlough was the happiest I have been in recent years. I realised that work drains all my useful energy and leaves me with a little bit of the rest if I'm lucky. Trying to get the mortgage gone ASAP so I can go part time.

Soldato
I've been on it since day one, only go on 2x half days a week at the minute.
The fact it ends in September isn't a good thing either I can see them making a lot of people redundant of there is no more support we just don't have the work and won't until people start going on holidays again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've noticed a lot of resentment about people who've been furloughed and the misconception that peole on furlough're all lazy and enjoy it.
My point is, furlough is NOT a choice or something we can request. I've been furloughed twice and had no choice or say in the matter (the first time I was glad of it becuase of the staffing and shoplifting situation at work and the second time I only found out a few hours after I arrived home from work). It was alright for the fisrt six or seven weeks but after so long, I wanted to go back to work.
So not all people on furlough're lazy sods who want to stay furloughed and ask for it.

Some people might not have even needed to be furloughed.

We were supposed to have rolling furlough. During the lockdown we only needed 1/3 of our drivers. So it was worked out and agreed that it'd be 3 weeks working, 3 weeks furlough.

The first 1/3 cried like babies that they were first then when they went on furlough they refused to come back, many citing they weren't coming back as it was not safe.

Unfortunately our managers caved and many, including myself, ended up working all the way through. 11

Man of Honour
I've been busier during the pandemic than before it. But I don't think that's related at all to it. It's just my employer ratcheting up the work as always. Strangely, many people in my industry (IT working for a bank) were actually classed as a key workers (not that I agree I should have been or that my job is in any way comparable to someone in the NHS). I guess the thinking behind it was to ensure financial stability through the period. I never used the key worker status for anything as I don't agree I should have been.

I don't begrudge furloughed people at all. I would quite like to have been off during that period on 80% pay but I would not have liked the job insecurity which would have come with it.

We were supposed to have rolling furlough. During the lockdown we only needed 1/3 of our drivers. So it was worked out and agreed that it'd be 3 weeks working, 3 weeks furlough.

The first 1/3 cried like babies that they were first then when they went on furlough they refused to come back, many citing they weren't coming back as it was not safe.

Unfortunately our managers caved and many, including myself, ended up working all the way through. 11
I bet most of them got new jobs delivering for Amazon, etc. Even those that got furloughed probably also got additional jobs working the same.

Soldato
The issue I have with furlough was the abuse by companies using it to stress test their businesses without paying wages

They could drip feed in staff every few weeks to find the optimum staffing levels whilst not worrying about the wage bill and then make lots of redundancies whilst using government money to pay for their little experiment.

That's how a lot of companies have operated for years with the help of in-work benefits. Instead of paying a decent wage on a decent contract, pay min on zero hours and expect the state to top it up. :)

Soldato
I have no issues with those genuine people on furlough, I’ve got stacks of people I know who have been furloughed at least once, they had worries about continuation of employment along with the nicety of having some paid free time, it was not of their making etc.. I certainly don't by default assume anyone on furlough is doing it for bad reasons.

I do know two people that have had quite a good furlough time and where better off due to no child care / commuting and other costs, spent their money on dogs/cars etc and are now bitterly complaining that furlough is ending with their main gripe that their employer isn't offering 100% working from home with full flexi so are going to 'lose' out.. But they have always been quite selfish/entitled people in general so it's hardly surprising..

Underboss
spent their money on dogs/cars etc and are now bitterly complaining that furlough is ending with their main gripe that their employer isn't offering 100% working from home with full flexi so are going to 'lose' out.. But they have always been quite selfish/entitled people in general so it's hardly surprising..

Yeah I work with someone who can't come back to the office as they have "no-one to look after the puppy", when I asked if the puppy was issued to them from work or not they decided to change the subject.

Going to be lots of those conversations happening in the near future I'd wager!

Soldato
Yeah I work with someone who can't come back to the office as they have "no-one to look after the puppy", when I asked if the puppy was issued to them from work or not they decided to change the subject.

Going to be lots of those conversations happening in the near future I'd wager!

Makes no sense if i put you in, you are in.

Dont come and eventually you will just be sacked

Soldato
I can't wait to go back full-time. It has been nice being home though but only because we have a 3 year old and a 6 month old.
But I want my routine back.

Soldato
I've worked all through the pandemic - I work from home anyway so it made little difference to me other than having the kids around all the time. My wife is a SAHM so she took care of the home schooling while I kept the pennies flowing in. While the idea of furlough appealed a bit, I would be concerned that once on it I would struggle to go back to work - I would retire tomorrow if I won the lottery.

My neighbour works for BA in baggage handling and has been furloughed on and off constantly during the pandemic - it's been good for him in some ways but also the lack of predictability and obvious job worries are not nice.

The one thing that has become apparent for a LOT of people I know who have worked from home for the first time is just how much better off they are both financially and health wise. The costs of commuting and eating away from home are significant and I know of several people who would now take a drop in wages to work from home full time and they would still be in a good place.

Soldato
I've worked all through the pandemic - I work from home anyway so it made little difference to me other than having the kids around all the time. My wife is a SAHM so she took care of the home schooling while I kept the pennies flowing in. While the idea of furlough appealed a bit, I would be concerned that once on it I would struggle to go back to work - I would retire tomorrow if I won the lottery.

My neighbour works for BA in baggage handling and has been furloughed on and off constantly during the pandemic - it's been good for him in some ways but also the lack of predictability and obvious job worries are not nice.

The one thing that has become apparent for a LOT of people I know who have worked from home for the first time is just how much better off they are both financially and health wise. The costs of commuting and eating away from home are significant and I know of several people who would now take a drop in wages to work from home full time and they would still be in a good place.
I read that as kept the penises flowing. I guess also true

Man of Honour
I am expecting to go back into the office 2 or 3 days a week starting around September time. I think the reason for only partial time in the office is to introduce company wide hot desking and save the company money by closing a couple of buildings. Frankly if they wanted us all back in the office 5 days a week I think many people would just leave now.

Back
Top Bottom