DVLA and Passports

NE5

NE5

Associate
Has anybody renewed their driving license without having a passport ?

I need to renew my driving licence because of the 10 year renewal point, but my passport ran out in 2014.

And I've looked on the passport renewal section of Gov UK and the only 2 options are renew or apply for a new one.

Is 6 years out of date classed as a renewal ?

NE5

NE5

Associate
OP
Thanks for that, I am presuming that at some point in the application online process, I will have to input my expired passport number.

That would make it a renewal, not a new application, which could be a different process.

I don't even want one, I doubt I will travel abroad again thats why I didn't renew it already, I just need to renew my driving licence !!!

Caporegime
You don't need a passport to renew your driving licence.

You can apply at a Post Office or by post.

Apply at a Post Office

You’ll get a reminder letter in the post. Take it to a Post Office that deals with DVLA photocard licence renewal.

You also need to take:
  • your photocard licence if you have it
  • the £21.50 fee

Apply by post

Get a ‘D1 pack’ of forms from a Post Office that deals with DVLA photocard renewal or vehicle tax.

You need to include these things with your completed forms:
  • a recent passport type photo (do not sign the back of the photo)
  • your current photocard licence, if you have it
  • a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or you’re aged 70 or over)

Man of Honour
I did it at the post office a couple of years back - not all have the service though. The first person I talked to was a bit confused and tried to have me fill out the D1 forms but then their manager fortunately overheard and stepped in and took me over to the photo booth they have setup for it and had it all processed in a couple of minutes or less and issued a paper receipt that could be used in the interim until the new license turned up.

Don
Can you still renew at the Post Office if you haven't received a reminder?

Mine ran out November last year, but obviously is "valid" due to having a 1 year extension, but I haven't yet received a reminder

Just wonder whether I either can or should due to the apparent huge backlog the DVLA has

Caporegime
Can you still renew at the Post Office if you haven't received a reminder?

Mine ran out November last year, but obviously is "valid" due to having a 1 year extension, but I haven't yet received a reminder

Just wonder whether I either can or should due to the apparent huge backlog the DVLA has

Renew your driving licence

If you do not have a reminder letter, you’ll need your photocard licence to apply at the Post Office.

Soldato
It's kind of stupid that you can renew a passport entirely online i.e. upload your photo etc.

Yet there is no similar system for renewing the driving license.. and most of the time you're only renewing you the photo card which isn't your driving license.

Soldato
It's kind of stupid that you can renew a passport entirely online i.e. upload your photo etc.

Yet there is no similar system for renewing the driving license.. and most of the time you're only renewing you the photo card which isn't your driving license.
You can if you have an up to date Passport. Given how ubiquitous drivers licenses are for identification I think it is key that they don't drop standards in pursuit of "pace", especially given it is only required ever 10 years.

Soldato

The photocard is pretty much all the driving license there is nowadays within GB (I think NI still has a paper counterpart maybe?). The only exception I know of is if you still have a really old style paper license.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Associate
I sent my licence back for renewal using a D1 form over a month ago and still haven't heard anything. I hadn't received the renewal form through the post, it turned up a week after I sent the D1 off.

There was no point waiting anyway as all the Post Offices this side of Bristol have stopped doing renewals and I am not wasting time driving well out of my way with no idea if I can get it done for for whatever reason, park etc. It will turn up eventually :p.

Soldato
The post office website states which post offices provide the photocard and passport renewal service with the photo booth. It's usually what were once known as "main" post offices, not the ones that have a counter inside a convenience store etc.

Associate
Well it has been out of date since September 2020 and the only problem I have had is not being able to move my bank account to Starling. Not the end of the world :D.

Soldato
You can if you have an up to date Passport. Given how ubiquitous drivers licenses are for identification I think it is key that they don't drop standards in pursuit of "pace", especially given it is only required ever 10 years.

You're right that you can use a current passport to copy the photo across to the driving license.

The strange thing is you can upload a passport style photo from your phone to renew a passport document, but not to renew a driving license photo.

It seems abit backwards to me.

To OP, you can go to a post office. I think there is a location page on the website to locate the nearest place to get your photo done. The places I looked at do the photos and help you fill in any documents too. OR as @dLockers said, if you have a current passport you can renew your driving license online.

Soldato
You're right that you can use a current passport to copy the photo across to the driving license.

The strange thing is you can upload a passport style photo from your phone to renew a passport document, but not to renew a driving license photo.

It seems abit backwards to me.

To OP, you can go to a post office. I think there is a location page on the website to locate the nearest place to get your photo done. The places I looked at do the photos and help you fill in any documents too. OR as @dLockers said, if you have a current passport you can renew your driving license online.
In a twist of daftness, I renewed my driving license with a photo from my passport that pre-dated my driving license picture. Go figure :p

Back
Top Bottom