Only took 1 Cyber attack

Soldato
Doesn’t bode well if there was a real conflict. They could probably take most of the nation offline and cause absolute mayhem without firing a single bullet.

Caporegime
Even if they fix the security issue you still have the worldwide truck driver shortage to deal with to try and resupply the stations. The world as a whole is at a tipping point. It's funny when 90% of people train for a desk job but the world still needs to function at a physical level.

We still have a tonne of computers here still on XP. Even less than 5 years ago most of our computers were still running Windows 2K.

Caporegime
Even if they fix the security issue you still have the worldwide truck driver shortage to deal with to try and resupply the stations. The world as a whole is at a tipping point. It's funny when 90% of people train for a desk job but the world still needs to function at a physical level.

We still have a tonne of computers here still on XP. Even less than 5 years ago most of our computers were still running Windows 2K.
There are literally millions of critical systems running power stations, military systems, banks and financial systems and other critical infrastructure around the world running even pre windows XP systems or using bespoke systems created by long since retired people who left little to no documentation. Companies don’t want to replace it because of the billions it’ll cost them and despite most of them being airgapped it didn’t stop Stuxnet eventually making its way to its intended target, the Iranian Nuclear program.

Soldato
Definitely can state,. That UK's infrastructure of gas, oil and electricity is running Windows XP.

The one control system we had that ran on a custom Linux distribution was removed because the older techs couldn't understand it

Soldato
Even if they fix the security issue you still have the worldwide truck driver shortage to deal with to try and resupply the stations.

IIRC there was something like 70k drivers in the UK who are HGV trained but, due to poor pay and conditions, aren't driving. Previously the country was able to "hide" this shortage by bringing in drivers from abroad but since COVID/Brexit lots have gone home leaving the UK woefully short of HGV drivers willing to drive which is going to have a far bigger impact than I think many realise.

Caporegime
who could have guessed people wouldn't want to drive for stupid hours a week for barely above minimum wage.

I wonder how many of them switched to be delivery drivers instead, I bet it's a hell of a lot easier, takes less skill and concentration etc and probably the same wage.

UK policy of mass immigration and stealing all the youth from other countries did nothing for the people living here.

where becoming one of the least attractive countries in Europe fast.

wages are crap, pensions are crap, living standards are crap but people don't realise it.

Caporegime
who could have guessed people wouldn't want to drive for stupid hours a week for barely above minimum wage.

I wonder how many of them switched to be delivery drivers instead, I bet it's a hell of a lot easier, takes less skill and concentration etc and probably the same wage

It's getting a lot better now. Chickens have come home to roost and wages are starting to reflect the kind of wages they should be getting.

V F

V F

Soldato
IIRC there was something like 70k drivers in the UK who are HGV trained but, due to poor pay and conditions, aren't driving. Previously the country was able to "hide" this shortage by bringing in drivers from abroad but since COVID/Brexit lots have gone home leaving the UK woefully short of HGV drivers willing to drive which is going to have a far bigger impact than I think many realise.

Funny I came across that on Youtube the other night.

Man of Honour
Rather than foreign drivers allow the UK shortage of driver to be "hidden", maybe it was the foreign drivers resulting in much lower wages and causing the UK drivers to move out of the industry? Hopefully wages and conditions will increase and attract UK drivers back again. The slight downside will be that increrased costs will be pushed onto customers of course.

Soldato
And here we go again, apparently one company was hit which then spread the ransomware to another 200+ companies. No details as to which companies are hit yet though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57703836

Wonder who, or what, got Bruce Banner angry enough to be so vindictive?

Kaseya is an RMM tool used by IT companies to manage and monitor their customer networks. They run with highest level privileges meaning they're a target for ransomware developers as customers are likely to pay if it means they can get their systems back online faster.

The team responsible for this hack have demanded $70M in BTC to release a universal decryptor for all companies affected.

Caporegime
If only their wasn't an anonymous payment system that made it easy for these people to get the ransom money in an easy untracable way :p

In all seriousness it concerns me that more brazen attempts at this sort of thing is only going to make regulatory action on bitcoin /crypto come sooner.

Soldato
If only their wasn't an anonymous payment system that made it easy for these people to get the ransom money in an easy untracable way :p

In all seriousness it concerns me that more brazen attempts at this sort of thing is only going to make regulatory action on bitcoin /crypto come sooner.

You think crypto is untraceable?

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...ecover-btc-from-colonials-ransomware-payment/

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depa...rrency-paid-ransomware-extortionists-darkside

Caporegime
Rather than foreign drivers allow the UK shortage of driver to be "hidden", maybe it was the foreign drivers resulting in much lower wages and causing the UK drivers to move out of the industry? Hopefully wages and conditions will increase and attract UK drivers back again. The slight downside will be that increrased costs will be pushed onto customers of course.

more than slight though. Hgv drivers round here are demanding 20% pay rises. One local haulier I know said no, can’t do it, and made them all redundant and sold the wagons instead.

Costs will rise a lot though. I’ve heard some local hauliers are paying £20p/h now to keep their drives which with reasonable overtime means salaries of around £60k.

Soldato
Costs will rise a lot though. I’ve heard some local hauliers are paying £20p/h now to keep their drives which with reasonable overtime means salaries of around £60k.

Should that have always been considered the "acceptable" wage for the job vs the impact of not having any drivers I wonder? Will the UK guys price themselves out of the market asking for wages like that with EU drivers potentially coming back over now we've relaxed COVID stuff and the wages here high enough to make it worth while again?

Back
Top Bottom