• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
I've made a disappointing discovery on the Merc XTXH version and it looks like a BIOS mistake.

The maximum Hotspot temperature has been reduced from 110c to 95c. This limits performance and actually causes it to be slower when overclocked than the XTX version.

xkLQqCt.png
VGA Bios Collection: XFX 6900 XTXH 16 GB | TechPowerUp

I checked powercolour and their XTXH has a max hotspot temp of 110c, so this has to be a mistake.

If you switch BIOS, max hotspot temp goes back to 110c as expected, but voltage is limited to 1.175 like a normal XTX.

Quite disappointed at this, am going to be returning it and will stick with my current XTX Merc.

I would not recommend anyone buy the Limited Edition Merc until XFX release an updated BIOS to resolve.

I've opened a support ticket with XFX to flag their error.

EDIT - XFX confirmed it is not a bug and 95C is the correct and expected max temp for Hotspot. Nothing to see here, move along. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've made a disappointing discovery on the Merc XTXH version and it looks like a BIOS mistake.

The maximum Hotspot temperature has been reduced from 110c to 95c. This limits performance and actually causes it to be slower when overclocked than the XTX version.

xkLQqCt.png

I checked powercolour and their XTXH has a max hotspot temp of 110c, so this has to be a mistake.

If you switch BIOS, max hotspot temp goes back to 110c as expected, but voltage is limited to 1.175 like a normal XTX.

Quite disappointed at this, am going to be returning it and will stick with my current XTX Merc.

I would not recommend anyone buy the Limited Edition Merc until XFX release an updated BIOS to resolve.

£1550 and you need to write your own bios for the bugger! Bargain! Did you notice my new Board and ram kit Matt? Micron B die on the ram and very impressive from my tweaking so far. 14-16-16-16-36 on a 32gb dimm can't be bad! (1.45V) solid as a rock too. My physics numbers are up on the Unify too with it pushing more juice into the 5950x.
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/25846979
21.6.2 driver so not favoring high clocks on FS, that was 2750MHz. Good physics number though for PBO and curve optimizer only.

Associate
Things have moved faster than expected.
The seller accepted the return on the Asus TUF, I sent it Monday and the refund came through today.
The order for the XFX also arrived today.

The metal bar thing does have some benefit in terms of reducing the strain on the motherboard connector if you are transporting or dropping your case, but it's fairly ugly: it's like having a small steel girder in your case, the corner isn't rounded off at all, and a support that actually held the far end of the card would be more solid.

But overall, I'm happy with the card.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/21364714

cRehtl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
£1550 and you need to write your own bios for the bugger! Bargain! Did you notice my new Board and ram kit Matt? Micron B die on the ram and very impressive from my tweaking so far. 14-16-16-16-36 on a 32gb dimm can't be bad! (1.45V) solid as a rock too. My physics numbers are up on the Unify too with it pushing more juice into the 5950x.
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/25846979
21.6.2 driver so not favoring high clocks on FS, that was 2750MHz. Good physics number though for PBO and curve optimizer only.
Sorry missed it mate. That is a excellent physics score for PBO and CO, good work.

Soldato
The metal bar thing does have some benefit in terms of reducing the strain on the motherboard connector if you are transporting or dropping your case, but it's fairly ugly: it's like having a small steel girder in your case, the corner isn't rounded off at all, and a support that actually held the far end of the card would be more solid.

Lego is the only way to go.

Associate
Things have moved faster than expected.
The seller accepted the return on the Asus TUF, I sent it Monday and the refund came through today.
The order for the XFX also arrived today.

But overall, I'm happy with the card.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/21364714

cRehtl.jpg

poRPp3.jpg
Have you read LtMatts post previously on here about bios issues with this card i have the card unopened but i am thinking of returning it. Can you let me know if you find any issues with card throttling etc playing games i am not that concerned about hitting the best benchmarks but expect the card to run stable and hit reported framerates for this premium card gaming.
Thanks

Associate
Do you guys think a 3900X could bottleneck the 6900 XT at 1440P? I am stating to suspect that I am being bottlenecked by the CPU. RAM is at 3733 fast timings.
In some games yet you are Cpu limited.
In Sottr after extensive benchs with 3090 + 3900x, and 10900k and 5950 the differences are pretty big.
3090-3900x 1440p highest ~ 155-160fps
3090-10900k - 5950 highest ~ 190fps
So it is the same with 6900xt
6900xt - 10850k ~ 188 fps.
For me 5xxx Ryzen are must if your are using highend gpu in 1440p res and below.

Caporegime
Have you read LtMatts post previously on here about bios issues with this card i have the card unopened but i am thinking of returning it. Can you let me know if you find any issues with card throttling etc playing games i am not that concerned about hitting the best benchmarks but expect the card to run stable and hit reported framerates for this premium card gaming.
Thanks
A user on oc.net suggested to use the second BIOS and increase the voltage to 1.2v using MPT and sure enough that works and you can use the GPU with a hotspot temp of up to 110c.

Had an initial reply from XFX support but I don’t think they fully understand issue as they said it’s expected.

Associate
Thanks

I'm probably not the best person to judge - I really have no interest in running such an expensive piece of silicon at 115'C :p
But it works fine for me: GPU Hotspot Temps peak at 88'C in Time Spy, card is stable, and framerates are as expected.
It's probably more of an issue if you are trying to push the boundaries further.

Only observation vs the previous Asus TUF RX 6900 is that the fans seem to be a bit noisier under load - that could be because of the higher boost clocks.

Caporegime
ltmatt maybe report it to gamers nexus and they might show xfx on their utube channel and then xfx might respond better if GN demonstrates it?
It's okay I'll keep engaging with the support team I'm sure they will be interested once they understand the issue.

In the meantime I will be sending it back and will keep my current XTX Merc Ultra. :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

report it to gamers nexus and they might show xfx on their utube channel and then xfx might respond

xkLQqCt.png

My card appears to be the same:- https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/235283/235283

This is the rom dumped from my card. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iH699v25b2QKuEd50uTLymhfDuUfhz-8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom